Unelectable Atheists: U.S. States That Prohibit Godless Americans From Holding Public Office

May 25, 2012 Full story: www.americanhumanist.org 80

With election season upon us, and a near constant stream of public jabs and rebuttals between incumbents and their challengers, we should focus on something besides the Americans that are running for office. Instead, letís turn our attention to a rather peculiar set of state laws relating to elections and nonreligious Americans.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#1 May 26, 2012
Watch the zealots ignore this and still claim it's not true.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#2 May 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
Watch the zealots ignore this and still claim it's not true.
Very good find.

http://www.americanhumanist.org/HNN/details/2...

Thank you for posting it.

It just goes to show you that we as a nation still have backward ways.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#3 May 26, 2012
If these outdated laws denied public office to Jews or African-Americans, people would be up in arms about the appearance of discrimination and demanding that they be removed forthwith.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

#4 May 26, 2012
How many in congress, senate, or other government bodies have common sense and reasoning skills?

Could this be the reason for such laws to keep the higher thinking out of office?
Nicole I Dance

Weaverville, NC

#5 May 26, 2012
Here are four heathen lesbian atheists posting one after another. Way cool turdettes wouldn't you say?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#6 May 26, 2012
Nicole I Dance wrote:
Here are four heathen lesbian atheists posting one after another. Way cool turdettes wouldn't you say?
Aaah, do we scare you.

Also, nice sentiment, but I'm asexual, not lesbian.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

#7 May 26, 2012
Nicole I Dance wrote:
Thank you.
I see you lack the ability to use reason or commonsense.
I can see of your hate and bigotry.
Slowwwwwww Sam Slimy Slug

Asheville, NC

#8 May 26, 2012
Nicole I Dance wrote:
I'd say you're about as dumb as a gum stump.

The Constitution of the USA (the cornerstone of all our laws) says, Article VI:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.[close quote]

That's the reason why all the religious test laws of the states are null and void, and declared as such by the courts, and further, why Gov. David Beasley of SC got the shite slapped out of him by the courts when he made the mistake of denying a notary commission to an avowed atheist.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#9 May 26, 2012
Slowwwwwww Sam Slimy Slug wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say you're about as dumb as a gum stump.
The Constitution of the USA (the cornerstone of all our laws) says, Article VI:
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.[close quote]
That's the reason why all the religious test laws of the states are null and void, and declared as such by the courts, and further, why Gov. David Beasley of SC got the shite slapped out of him by the courts when he made the mistake of denying a notary commission to an avowed atheist.
That particular avowed atheist also ran for governor of SC in 1990 and was the officiant at my daughter's wedding last month. Dr. Silverman is a real nice man!!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#10 May 26, 2012
America is supposed to be civilised?

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

#11 May 27, 2012
Khatru wrote:
America is supposed to be civilised?
Hey we're not all a bunch of redneck jesus freak. Most young Americans like myself don't give a two flying f*ck about religious nonsense.

Also these laws are not enforceable. In the 1960s the Supreme Court ruled this prohibitions on atheists being elected politicians where unconstitutional and could not be enforced. There are still some states that "technically" have laws against engaging in gay sex, although they are unenforceable as well because of the Supreme Court.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#12 May 27, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey we're not all a bunch of redneck jesus freak. Most young Americans like myself don't give a two flying f*ck about religious nonsense.
Also these laws are not enforceable. In the 1960s the Supreme Court ruled this prohibitions on atheists being elected politicians where unconstitutional and could not be enforced. There are still some states that "technically" have laws against engaging in gay sex, although they are unenforceable as well because of the Supreme Court.
However, the zealots are louder and winning, and the fact that these laws exist shows that we have problems keeping our zealots under control. Illegal laws being allowed to pass are signs that the laws are meaningless to the zealots.

In a civilized nation, these laws would have at least been stricken from the books by now, in a truly enlightened nation, they would never have been conceived.

#13 May 27, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
However, the zealots are louder and winning, and the fact that these laws exist shows that we have problems keeping our zealots under control. Illegal laws being allowed to pass are signs that the laws are meaningless to the zealots.
In a civilized nation, these laws would have at least been stricken from the books by now, in a truly enlightened nation, they would never have been conceived.
I agree that these laws should be thrown off the books. I was just saying not every American is some zealot xtian jesus freak. Alot of countries still have retarded religious laws. Great Britain still has a state established church for example and I think still has a blasphemy law.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#14 May 27, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that these laws should be thrown off the books. I was just saying not every American is some zealot xtian jesus freak. Alot of countries still have retarded religious laws. Great Britain still has a state established church for example and I think still has a blasphemy law.
This is true, and thanks to us who are loudly trying to tell the zealots to shut up, the rest of the world is being nicer to us.:p Notice that the bad press about the US in other countries is sort of tapering off. It's because of us on forums, YouTube, blogs, etc. saying we want the US back on track and all the zealots to STFU.

#15 May 27, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
This is true, and thanks to us who are loudly trying to tell the zealots to shut up, the rest of the world is being nicer to us.:p Notice that the bad press about the US in other countries is sort of tapering off. It's because of us on forums, YouTube, blogs, etc. saying we want the US back on track and all the zealots to STFU.
Yes the internet is a haven for atheist heathens like ourselfs.:)

I'm doing everything I can to fight the religious freaks in USA who are trying to make gays like myself into second class citizens or trying to deny a women's right to choose.
Dread Scott

Asheville, NC

#16 May 27, 2012
Somebody needs to tell Cecil Bothwell that he is not wanted in North Carolina because he hates God and is an atheist.

Nottingham, UK

#17 May 27, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
We finally got shot of those blasphemy laws in 2008 - talk about an anachronism!

We take a long time to finally get around to changing things. Witchcraft was still illegal as recently as 1951.

Nottingham, UK

#18 May 27, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the internet is a haven for atheist heathens like ourselfs.:)
I'm doing everything I can to fight the religious freaks in USA who are trying to make gays like myself into second class citizens or trying to deny a women's right to choose.
If any of those religious freaks are blacks it may be worth reminding them that their ancestors were kept in slavery by slave traders who tried to justify denying them equal rights by quoting their bibles.

Ironic or what?

Nottingham, UK

#19 May 27, 2012
Dread Scott wrote:
Somebody needs to tell Cecil Bothwell that he is not wanted in North Carolina because he hates God and is an atheist.
I see.

So you don't hate God?

You must love Allah so much that you pray to him five times a day.

Nottingham, UK

#20 May 27, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoops! Nearly missed this.

Yes, I know there are lots of Americans who have ditched their religion or never really got suckered into it in the first place.

Ps. Love the name

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 13 min I B Eagle 228,529
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr Patrick 148
Is Religion Childish? 1 hr Patrick 3
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 1 hr Patrick 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr _Bad Company 22,919
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 3 hr Richardfs 5,584
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Richardfs 674

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE