Former ‘LIL’ LIMBAUGH‘ switches two d...

Former ‘LIL’ LIMBAUGH‘ switches two different teams

Posted in the Atheism Forum

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#1 Jul 4, 2012
First, he goes from a star conservative to a liberal...... Oh, no he didn't!

Then, he rejects his christian faith and becomes an atheist...... Say it ain't so!

Talk about coming out! Who knows what's next!

‘THIS IS MY FIGHT’: FORMER ‘LIL’ LIMBAUGH‘ TELLS THE BLAZE WHY HE’S NOW LIBERAL (AND AN ATHEIST), ANSWERS HIS CRITICS, AND EVEN SHARES HIS STILL-CONSERVATIVE POSITION

Warning! The following link is to The Blaze and has the ugly mug of you know who.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/this-is-my-fi...
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2 Jul 5, 2012
This makes Glenn Beck cry. Then again, what doesn't?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#3 Jul 5, 2012
I do not trust converts who are still rightwingers on politics. remember Charles Colson? there is often a reason for pretending to have a view - or even adopting it - that is not based on real thought or conviction. opportunism is alive and well.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#4 Jul 5, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
I do not trust converts who are still rightwingers on politics. remember Charles Colson? there is often a reason for pretending to have a view - or even adopting it - that is not based on real thought or conviction. opportunism is alive and well.
I see your point, but do consider that his former positions were those he held at 13. People that young are heavily influenced by parents, teachers, etc, and reflect indoctrination more than the person's own original thought. Case in point, when I was 13, I was an altar boy. Within 3-4 years, as I developed the capacity to think on my own and emerged on the other side more or less the same atheist I am now. It's much easier to accept a young person's change of heart during their teens than, say a 50 year old switching sides so abruptly.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#5 Jul 5, 2012
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I see your point, but do consider that his former positions were those he held at 13. People that young are heavily influenced by parents, teachers, etc, and reflect indoctrination more than the person's own original thought. Case in point, when I was 13, I was an altar boy. Within 3-4 years, as I developed the capacity to think on my own and emerged on the other side more or less the same atheist I am now. It's much easier to accept a young person's change of heart during their teens than, say a 50 year old switching sides so abruptly.
if he votes Republican, he is still no damn good even if he is an atheist, is my view!
anyhow, I am interested in your background. and what sort of atheist are you? do you consider yourself an agnostic atheist as I consider myself? or a hard atheist - one who claims to know - as some folks call that type? or some other category, or a rejector of the utility of those two categories. I think there can be other categories - but I think those two have important differences. I quarrel a lot with arrogant hard atheists, you may have noticed. I think I almost always have liked your comments. I also like your name and am always glad to see your comments.

I do not know anything about this situation. I was just generalizing. I know there are genuine changes of mind and heart.

But I am not kidding about the GOP! A nice Christian for Obama is more my cup of tea than an atheist for Romney. After the election is over, then I'll have pleasant discussions with the Christian about the sort of ethics that led him or her to support Obama, and have some gentle questions about how he managed to get a decent ethic out of Christianity - and some praise for his ability to do so.

I might tell the atheist to go change his mind about ethics and politics before he thinks he is so damned superior just because he does not believe in a skygod that cursed multiple generations, raped an underage virgin, and sent his own son to be tortured and murdered, for the sake of getting free will converts instead of little puppets who live happily and have no complaints. I really do not think it takes a genius to reject that version of a god. It takes a nice person to think there might be a god and try to figure out how to make it a good being - without lying about what is "good." and it takes a relatively brave one to concede that there could indeed be some sort of evil deity, or at least one with so much indifference or inability to do good that its consequences are evil, for the poor suffering creatures.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#6 Jul 5, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> if he votes Republican, he is still no damn good even if he is an atheist, is my view!
anyhow, I am interested in your background. and what sort of atheist are you? do you consider yourself an agnostic atheist as I consider myself? or a hard atheist - one who claims to know - as some folks call that type? or some other category, or a rejector of the utility of those two categories. I think there can be other categories - but I think those two have important differences. I quarrel a lot with arrogant hard atheists, you may have noticed. I think I almost always have liked your comments. I also like your name and am always glad to see your comments.
I do not know anything about this situation. I was just generalizing. I know there are genuine changes of mind and heart.
But I am not kidding about the GOP! A nice Christian for Obama is more my cup of tea than an atheist for Romney. After the election is over, then I'll have pleasant discussions with the Christian about the sort of ethics that led him or her to support Obama, and have some gentle questions about how he managed to get a decent ethic out of Christianity - and some praise for his ability to do so.
I might tell the atheist to go change his mind about ethics and politics before he thinks he is so damned superior just because he does not believe in a skygod that cursed multiple generations, raped an underage virgin, and sent his own son to be tortured and murdered, for the sake of getting free will converts instead of little puppets who live happily and have no complaints. I really do not think it takes a genius to reject that version of a god. It takes a nice person to think there might be a god and try to figure out how to make it a good being - without lying about what is "good." and it takes a relatively brave one to concede that there could indeed be some sort of evil deity, or at least one with so much indifference or inability to do good that its consequences are evil, for the poor suffering creatures.
Don't forget, Ayn Rand was an outspoken atheist. There is no atheist ideology beyond demanding proof for the existence of god. There are liberal atheists and conservative atheists. Merely not believing in god does not, in and of itself, require any particular political or economic commitment. We all have out own philosophies, and the lack of a belief in a deity is just one piece of the puzzle. The question then becomes, what do you believe in, and how does that dictate how you behave? Once you reject the idea of god, you have to work all that out for yourself. Everyone's answer will be different. As John Lennon said. "there ain't no guru who can see through your eyes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Samuel Patre 93,330
News American Atheists terminates its president over... 4 hr Eagle 12 - 19
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... Apr 17 Graftedin1 75
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Apr 14 blacklagoon 3 4,141
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Apr 14 Into The Night 258,515
News The Anti-Christian Movement Apr 10 blacklagoon 3 11
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Apr 9 Wisdom of Ages 6,048