Atheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds

Jul 13, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Deseret News

A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems.

Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Jul 15, 2012

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

What beliefs would that be?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

What study?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

It's kind of sad that Theists have to actively lie (going against their Ten Commandments) and put out stories like this.

Atheism must really be a threat to these cults. I suppose we should be honoured in a way...
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
It's kind of sad that Theists have to actively lie (going against their Ten Commandments) and put out stories like this.
Atheism must really be a threat to these cults. I suppose we should be honoured in a way...
I still think you are wrong to think they're lying...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Lie
A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.
Note: it is not just a falsehood. It MUST be one that its proponent knows to be untrue.

The problem with religionists isn't that they're liars. Quite the reverse. I sometimes find them better educated, more polite, intelligent and (in certain ways) insightful than you or I. The problem is that they are superstitious, be it Islam, Christianity or whatever. They (apparently) genuinely believe there is some kind of abrahamic god that wants a sort of collective worship. They lack the objectivity to see their king wears no clothes. They don't lack integrity. Arguably, that is a criticism more justly levelled at those who call them cowards or liars. Mind you, calling them deluded, as I do, isn't exactly complimentary. It is more accurate though, in most cases.

Muq, Don and Wolverine (for examples) don't sound like liars. They just sound mistaken.
redneck

Glendale, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Reason Personified wrote:
I believe I'll have some pie.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

redneck wrote:
<quoted text>I believe I'll have some pie.
i like your belief if it's apple pie ;)
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Judged:

exactly, atheism means Not- belief, not Belief. and what group?- atheists are not a religious group. the idiots who wrote that stuff were starting from false premises.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Judged:

It's quite possible that the study is correct within the limits of its own definitions. Not all nonbelievers have arrived at their uncertainty with the kind of skeptical and analytical approach that is common among the regulars on this forum. For many others, doubt may be a place of transition from one set of beliefs to another. Nevertheless, the overall proportion of nonbelievers in our society has been growing at a pace unsurpassed by any of the other major religious categories for decades now.

As to the source of this report, it is the Center for Applied Research of the Apostolate (CARA), part of Georgetown University. Its motto is "Putting social science research at the service of the Catholic Church." They have a vested interest in looking as though they are prevailing against unbelief, which explains the narrow focus of this study. No one wants to believe that they are fighting a losing battle.
Amused

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

The study makes sense in a way. Just looking at most of the people who post here, I'd say the vast majority of those who have shared the story of their atheism started life in theist families of one flavor or another, and became atheists later in life after learning to think for themselves.

Atheists have no beliefs to indoctrinate their children with. So, our kids do not grow up with a set of beliefs hammered into them which would deter them from changing religion. Teaching someone to think for themselves does not insure any given outcome for that thinking.

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

redneck wrote:
<quoted text>I believe I'll have some pie.
flex poly water line

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

<quoted text>flex poly water line
Wow, I actually typed in, " I believe that we all should, have some pie", and got instead "flex poly water line". I think there are gremlins in my machine.
redneck

Glendale, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

<quoted text>Wow, I actually typed in, " I believe that we all should, have some pie", and got instead "flex poly water line". I think there are gremlins in my machine.
It's a miracle. Poly, the water line god is giving you a sign.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Well we also don't teach our kids to believe a certain way or be tortured forever in hell. Mmmmm pie.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Oh it's an EW donated story.
Normal Flora wrote:
Look at the name of the newspaper:
Deseret News
All Mormon, all the time.
Definitely NOT a fair and balanced news source.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 28 min Aura Mytha 224,176
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 1 hr Reason Personified 272
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 3 hr Hidingfromyou 373
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Richardfs 218
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr NightSerf 21,394
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 18 hr DonPanic 1,285
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu religionisillness 834
•••
•••