Richard Dawkins not sure on his faith?

Jul 28, 2013 Full story: Paul Smith's Blog 61

Seemingly unaware that atheism is not based on faith. Everyone is born an atheist, and everyone is an atheist in respect to most of the gods that we've ever dreamt up.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#1 Jul 28, 2013
The article acutally *is* written by an atheist and is not a pile of shit.

The writer acknowledges that an atheist can say "We can't be certain there is no 'god'" without actually believing there is one. The writer is responding to a religitard's stupid statements.

The problem in this case is the shitty "roboblogger" crapware or a fucking idiot at topix putting a bad title on the item.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#2 Jul 28, 2013
I can't verify this info, but I once read somewhere that the caption was to read, "There's no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life".
https://humanism.org.uk/about/atheist-bus-cam...
The word 'probably' was inserted to help ensure that it passed the UK's Advertising Standards Agency censorship process.

One aim of the advert was apparently to spark debate about the question. Many people are raised to just accept the concepts of a god and of 'having beliefs' without much question.

(I agree with P Smith's comment above)
LCN Llin

United States

#3 Aug 2, 2013
EdSed wrote:
I can't verify this info, but I once read somewhere that the caption was to read, "There's no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life".
https://humanism.org.uk/about/atheist-bus-cam...
The word 'probably' was inserted to help ensure that it passed the UK's Advertising Standards Agency censorship process.
One aim of the advert was apparently to spark debate about the question. Many people are raised to just accept the concepts of a god and of 'having beliefs' without much question.
(I agree with P Smith's comment above)
"There's no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life" is a bumper sticker in California
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#4 Aug 2, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
"There's no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life" is a bumper sticker in California
What is it when stuck on bumpers in other states?:-)
It is a bumper sticker when it's on a sticker stuck to a bumper. I assume you mean such bumper stickers are common or somehow associated with California.

California isn't just the home of the excentric or outlandish. They do have some great music and innovative people.

A pity they can't run their finances but I think that's largely due to the bad idea of allowing 'rule by ballots'. Apparently popular services and projects put to the public vote tend to pass while propositions to reduce taxes also pass. That makes fiscal responsibility in government there very difficult, which in turn discourages the fiscally responsible from seeking office.(That's my understanding).
LCN Llin

United States

#5 Aug 2, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>What is it when stuck on bumpers in other states?:-)
It is a bumper sticker when it's on a sticker stuck to a bumper. I assume you mean such bumper stickers are common or somehow associated with California.
California isn't just the home of the excentric or outlandish. They do have some great music and innovative people.
A pity they can't run their finances but I think that's largely due to the bad idea of allowing 'rule by ballots'. Apparently popular services and projects put to the public vote tend to pass while propositions to reduce taxes also pass. That makes fiscal responsibility in government there very difficult, which in turn discourages the fiscally responsible from seeking office.(That's my understanding).

Schools seem well run in Cali.
Teabagers wants to bring down the government in the US as they are racists and the President is Black.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#6 Aug 2, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Schools seem well run in Cali.
Teabagers wants to bring down the government in the US as they are racists and the President is Black.
Just prove your creationist god or return back to your bitter mind-cave you troll.
Richard

Sydney, Australia

#7 Aug 6, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Just prove your creationist god or return back to your bitter mind-cave you troll.
What you should do is go to http://bit.ly/1dNw3as and download "Creed of Assiah" and read on how you hip atheists are played for fools
Richard

Sydney, Australia

#8 Aug 6, 2013
Richard Dawkins gets a chapter about him in it
http://bit.ly/1dNw3as
Thinking

UK

#9 Aug 8, 2013
Your life in 17 seconds

Richard wrote:
Richard Dawkins gets a chapter about him in it
http://bit.ly/1dNw3as
LCN Llin

United States

#10 Aug 11, 2013
Interesting FYI

Ancestors of secularist campaigner Richard Dawkins made their fortune from the slave trade, it has been revealed.

The outspoken atheist, who once branded the Catholic Church 'evil', is the direct descendent of Henry Dawkins who owned 1,013 slaves in Jamaica until he died in 1744.

His 400-acre family estate, Over Norton Park near Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, is believed to have been bought with money made through slave ownership hundreds of years ago.

Another ancestor was a member of the clergy while two were MPs who campaigned against the abolition of the slave trade.

Slavery was eventually abolished with the help of evangelical Christian, William Wilberforce - a deeply religious English member of parliament and social reformer.

But Professor Dawkins, author of The Selfish Game, told The Sunday Telegraph that linking him with the slave trade was a 'smear tactic'.

He said:'I condemn slavery with the utmost vehemence, but the fact that my remote ancestors may have been involved in it is nothing to do with me.'

The family's link with slavery began when William Dawkins travelled to Jamaica where he was given 1,775 acres of land on the island between 1669 and 1682.

His son Richard died in 1701 leaving behind 6,659 and 143 'young and old' slaves worth 2,784.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21033...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#11 Aug 11, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
Interesting FYI
Ancestors of secularist campaigner Richard Dawkins made their fortune from the slave trade, it has been revealed.
The outspoken atheist, who once branded the Catholic Church 'evil', is the direct descendent of Henry Dawkins who owned 1,013 slaves in Jamaica until he died in 1744.
His 400-acre family estate, Over Norton Park near Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, is believed to have been bought with money made through slave ownership hundreds of years ago.
Another ancestor was a member of the clergy while two were MPs who campaigned against the abolition of the slave trade.
Slavery was eventually abolished with the help of evangelical Christian, William Wilberforce - a deeply religious English member of parliament and social reformer.
But Professor Dawkins, author of The Selfish Game, told The Sunday Telegraph that linking him with the slave trade was a 'smear tactic'.
He said:'I condemn slavery with the utmost vehemence, but the fact that my remote ancestors may have been involved in it is nothing to do with me.'
The family's link with slavery began when William Dawkins travelled to Jamaica where he was given 1,775 acres of land on the island between 1669 and 1682.
His son Richard died in 1701 leaving behind 6,659 and 143 'young and old' slaves worth 2,784.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21033...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Says the foolish creationist troll with no proof of god, too scared to confront this hard fact of life.
Thinking

UK

#12 Aug 11, 2013
The Daily Mail itself (not its ancestor) supported Hitler.
LCN Llin wrote:
Interesting FYI
Ancestors of secularist campaigner Richard Dawkins made their fortune from the slave trade, it has been revealed.
The outspoken atheist, who once branded the Catholic Church 'evil', is the direct descendent of Henry Dawkins who owned 1,013 slaves in Jamaica until he died in 1744.
His 400-acre family estate, Over Norton Park near Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, is believed to have been bought with money made through slave ownership hundreds of years ago.
Another ancestor was a member of the clergy while two were MPs who campaigned against the abolition of the slave trade.
Slavery was eventually abolished with the help of evangelical Christian, William Wilberforce - a deeply religious English member of parliament and social reformer.
But Professor Dawkins, author of The Selfish Game, told The Sunday Telegraph that linking him with the slave trade was a 'smear tactic'.
He said:'I condemn slavery with the utmost vehemence, but the fact that my remote ancestors may have been involved in it is nothing to do with me.'
The family's link with slavery began when William Dawkins travelled to Jamaica where he was given 1,775 acres of land on the island between 1669 and 1682.
His son Richard died in 1701 leaving behind 6,659 and 143 'young and old' slaves worth 2,784.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21033...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Thinking

UK

#13 Aug 11, 2013
Religitards are desperate.

If Einstein's grandfather was found to be a mass murderer, would E=mc^2 suddenly become invalid?
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the foolish creationist troll with no proof of god, too scared to confront this hard fact of life.
LCNlin

United States

#14 Aug 12, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The Daily Mail itself (not its ancestor) supported Hitler.
<quoted text>
Chamberlain as PM ?
LCNlin

United States

#15 Aug 12, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the foolish creationist troll with no proof of god, too scared to confront this hard fact of life.
agnostics read your post with interest and see in them some insights into the mysteries of life. You have our support
Thinking

UK

#16 Aug 12, 2013
The Daily Mail supported fascism.

Chamberlain appeased Hitler but did not support his views.

I see no reason to appease your views.
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Chamberlain as PM ?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17 Aug 12, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The Daily Mail itself (not its ancestor) supported Hitler.
<quoted text>
In the inter-war years there were a number of British enthusiasts for fascism in the UK, not just the Daily Mail. This support ended at the end of 1934 following violence at a british union of fascists rally. So the Mail's support was only really for the early 1930s.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18 Aug 12, 2013
LCNlin

United States

#19 Aug 12, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
In the inter-war years there were a number of British enthusiasts for fascism in the UK, not just the Daily Mail. This support ended at the end of 1934 following violence at a british union of fascists rally. So the Mail's support was only really for the early 1930s.
W L S Churchill was early in his opposition to Hitler and the Nazis
LCNlin

United States

#20 Aug 12, 2013
Churchill much admired in the U S A

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 min Gordon 227,622
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 4 min Lawrence Wolf 106
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 min Patrick 22,258
Here's a place for Patrick's off-topic articles 1 hr NightSerf 1
Glorify God, our Heavenly Father 1 hr Son of God 1
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 475
Stump a theist with 2 questions 1 hr NightSerf 66
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••