Bondi, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2013

Judged:

Why do atheist get married like Christians etc...don't they have their own ritual weddings?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2013

Judged:

bbb wrote:
Why do atheist get married like Christians etc...don't they have their own ritual weddings?
Look up civil ceremony.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2013

Judged:

"In 1973, Civil Ceremonies were legalised, after the government decided that people should not be forced to have religious ceremonies which mark major events in their lives. They should have a choice." (UK)
Amused

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2013

Judged:

bbb wrote:
Where I live, there's no requirement for any religious ceremony at all. Judges, justices of the peace, city and town clerks all have the power to perform marriage ceremonies. There's even a provision where someone who does not hold any office can receive a special commission to perform a single ceremony. So, if you want a non-religious ceremony, there are plenty of options. On the other hand, if an atheist is marrying a follower of some religion, I see no problem with going through with a ceremony in accordance with the believer's faith, as a gesture of respect for the partner's beliefs. If you can't compromise enough to do that for your partner, both parties ought to think about whether the marriage has any shot at lasting. The wedding's just one day. What really counts is all the days after that one. Every day, there needs to be some compromising, to make things work. If one partner is getting their way 100% of the time, it isn't a marriage, it is a dictatorship.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 28 min Lucifes begotten Son 223,060
Why do i deserve no respect. 4 hr Patrick 6
Our world came from nothing? 8 hr Igor Trip 24
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 17 hr Mikko 21,328
Introducing The Universal Religion Wed NightSerf 718
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed ChristineM 802
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) Wed Buck Crick 324
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••