Patrick

United States

#5763 Aug 12, 2014
Bogie & Bacall: A Hollywood Romance for the Ages
With the passing of film legend Lauren Bacall, let us revisit one of the greatest love affairs in the history of cinema.
“You know how to whistle, don’t you, Steve? You just put your lips together, and…blow.” With that seductive line, delivered with a steely glare and husky voice, the world was introduced to a screen siren for the ages: Lauren Bacall. The line, later named the 34th greatest in the history of cinema by the American Film Institute, was delivered in Howard Hawks’s To Have and Have Not and written by none other than William Faulkner. And the dumbstruck man on the receiving end of the double entendre was Humphrey Bogart who, at 44, had a quarter of a century on this sultry, 19-year-old ingénue. It was the beginning of a beautiful romance—one that would become part of Hollywood lore.

Bacall, who passed away August 12 at 89 after suffering a stroke in her home, leaves behind a rich screen and stage résumé that includes two Tony Awards (for Applause in ’70 and Woman of the Year in ’81), an Academy Award nomination (The Mirror Has Two Faces,’96), and a number of classic films, including To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep, and Key Largo. In addition to her stellar body of work, she will always be remembered for being the no-nonsense half of Bogie and Bacall.

After being discovered by the wife of filmmaker Hawks in the pages of Harper’s Bazaar, Betty Joan Perske signed a four-page contract in May 1943, placing her under Hawks’s control for up to seven years at a starting salary of $100 a week. Hawks helped create what would become Bacall’s onscreen persona—tough yet tender, a dame to kill for. He told her to change her name to “Lauren Bacall”(she was Jewish), had his wife update her style from homemaker to movie star, and advised the aspiring actress to rid herself of her Bronx accent by driving out to a deserted spot along Mulholland Drive and reading aloud from the 1942 novel The Robe, to develop a lower, smokier, and—yes—sexier voice.

“He was standing behind me—we were joking as usual—when suddenly he leaned over, put his hand under my chin and kissed me.”

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#5764 Aug 12, 2014
Face palm.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>There were no Hindu tribes in 1st century Palestine.
Patrick

United States

#5765 Aug 13, 2014
silly

Around 10,000 South Korean Protestants gathered at a convention center near Seoul on Tuesday to protest Pope Francis’ upcoming trip to the country.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#5766 Aug 13, 2014
jesus christ! He's on a roll.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>The point is how did a 1200 year old passage from a Hindu holy book in India get into a gospel of the New Testament?

Did Jesus study Hindu writings, or was it the author who studied them?

Why would Jesus or the writer of John plagiarize the passage practically word for word?
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

#5767 Aug 13, 2014
Why would any religitard defend the original flood story?

god drowns every baby not on the ark.

Cleary not a pro-lifer!(AKA anti-choicer)
curiouslu wrote:
Riverside Redneck/PQueen/Stilgar wins again, here we see the christian boo hooing about the Noah movie not being true to the babble:
<quoted text>
I may actually watch it now.
Patrick

United States

#5768 Aug 13, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Why would any religitard defend the original flood story?
god drowns every baby not on the ark.
Cleary not a pro-lifer!(AKA anti-choicer)
<quoted text>
..........only if the flood took out a favorite pub in London i would surmise.

UK and France to join the war against ISIS?
Patrick

United States

#5771 Aug 14, 2014
People suffering in the real world

On Wednesday, the UN declared the Iraq crisis a "level three emergency", its highest level of humanitarian crisis.

Planes have been dropping aid supplies on Mount Sinjar for several nights.

The US said it conducted its seventh air-drop of food and water on Wednesday, and had delivered more than 114,000 meals and 35,000 gallons (160,000 litres) of drinking water to those trapped.

The US has also continued to conduct air strikes on IS targets in Iraq's north.

France says it will arm Iraq's Kurds, who are already getting US military aid to fight IS. Meanwhile, the UK has pledged to join a rescue mission for displaced civilians.
Thinking

Blandford, UK

#5772 Aug 14, 2014
I feel totally accepted.
76% of young adults in the UK no longer have a religion.
The religious demographic is dying of old age.
Mr Duplicity wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't they all? I think they need a hug, you know, to make them feel accepted.
Patrick

United States

#5773 Aug 14, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I feel totally accepted.
76% of young adults in the UK no longer have a religion.
The religious demographic is dying of old age.
<quoted text>
78% of statistics are made up?

Statistics L O L

"Often when they do I throw out my favorite statistic:

73.6% of all statistics are made up. I say it deadpanned.

Often I’ll get some people look at me like,“really?”“It’s true. Nielsen just released the number last month.”

No. It’s irony.

Or as Mark Twain popularized the quote most attributed to the Prime Minister of Great Britain, Benjamin Disraeli,“there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.” The quote is meant to highlight the deceiving but persuasive power of numbers.

In the end make sure you’re suspicious of all data. Ask yourself the obvious questions:

- who did the primary research on this analysis?

- who paid them? Nobody does this stuff free. You’re either paid up front “sponsored research” or you’re paid on the back-end in terms of clients buying research reports.

- what motives might these people have had?

- who was in the sample set? how big was it? was it inclusive enough?

- and the important thing about data for me … I ingest it religiously. I use it as one source of figuring out my version of the truth. And then I triangulate. I look for more sources if I want a truer picture.

I always try to think to myself,“what would the opposing side of this data analysis use to argue its weaknesses?”

Statistics aren’t evil. They’re just a bit like the weather – hard to really predict.
And as they say about economists and weathermen – they’re the only two jobs you can keep while being wrong nearly 100% of the time "
Thinking

Blandford, UK

#5774 Aug 14, 2014
Read this and weep, Lincock.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/documen...
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
78% of statistics are made up?
Statistics L O L
"Often when they do I throw out my favorite statistic:
73.6% of all statistics are made up. I say it deadpanned.
Often I’ll get some people look at me like,“really?”“It’s true. Nielsen just released the number last month.”
No. It’s irony.
Or as Mark Twain popularized the quote most attributed to the Prime Minister of Great Britain, Benjamin Disraeli,“there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.” The quote is meant to highlight the deceiving but persuasive power of numbers.
In the end make sure you’re suspicious of all data. Ask yourself the obvious questions:
- who did the primary research on this analysis?
- who paid them? Nobody does this stuff free. You’re either paid up front “sponsored research” or you’re paid on the back-end in terms of clients buying research reports.
- what motives might these people have had?
- who was in the sample set? how big was it? was it inclusive enough?
- and the important thing about data for me … I ingest it religiously. I use it as one source of figuring out my version of the truth. And then I triangulate. I look for more sources if I want a truer picture.
I always try to think to myself,“what would the opposing side of this data analysis use to argue its weaknesses?”
Statistics aren’t evil. They’re just a bit like the weather – hard to really predict.
And as they say about economists and weathermen – they’re the only two jobs you can keep while being wrong nearly 100% of the time "
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#5775 Sep 25, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is for breeding, not "love". Love is romance novels.
Plays hell with public records and family trees, especially with the adoptions that will happen. Also plays hell with medical research. Lots and lots of cross referencing to be made.
You will also have a self protective network form similar to the pedophile priests. You are talking a very small percentage gaining great clout who feel removed from the standard.
Mankind has had extensive experience with homosexuality and letting it run rampant and uncontrolled. That is why most civilizations put restrictions on it, and such was not religion inspired. It was survival of the society. Even the Romans eventually outlawed it well before Christianity gained ascendancy. Young virile males found it faster and easier servicing the gay elite than going off and conquering new territories for becoming rich and famous. They became prostitutes instead of warriors.
It is not a mainstream activity and should not be allowed to claim it is.
Now we are live stock

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#5776 Sep 26, 2014
Self explanatory, yep, Riverside Redneck.

Again.
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>No. Without adding in the whole definition we get a skewed perspective if what's being defined.

Partial definitions allow for incorrect ideas, like a fetus is a parasite, an apple is an orange and the moon is Buck's ass.
There's a good little godbot coveting his neighbour's ass.
Patrick

United States

#5777 Sep 26, 2014
Dally Mama wrote:
Self explanatory, yep, Riverside Redneck.
Again.
<quoted text>
There's a good little godbot coveting his neighbour's ass.
Another roadside attraction..LOL
mirror image of the born again evangelist?
Thinking

High Wycombe, UK

#5778 Sep 26, 2014
So Dave's not been lucky in love. Maybe if he gave more?
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Now we are live stock
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#5779 Sep 26, 2014
Thinking wrote:
So Dave's not been lucky in love. Maybe if he gave more?
<quoted text>
or perhaps he thought his wife was an EM field and tried to plug her in!!
Thinking

Reading, UK

#5780 Sep 26, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
or perhaps he thought his wife was an EM field and tried to plug her in!!
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#5781 Sep 30, 2014
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>Just as a side issue- why is it wrong to kill babies? What is the rationale? By whose standards is it wrong and why?
The humanity of a godbot.
Patrick

United States

#5782 Sep 30, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
The humanity of a godbot.
May the good saints protect you,
And bless you today.
And may troubles ignore you,
Each step of the way.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#5783 Sep 30, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>So Dave's not been lucky in love. Maybe if he gave more?
He might do better if he doesn't talk, ever.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#5784 Sep 30, 2014
Yep, it's the Riverside Redneck.

Again.

Dumb with a side of christian love.
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not here to decipher dumb ass liberal atheist posts.

She's just another damned "intellectual" that has no intellect.
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>Well there's always that, too....

The sexually moral do not catch AIDS or any other STD by their own volition. Period.
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>I can't take you seriously.

I called a few atheists 'atheist trash' and you've inflated it to "atheist (trash, in your view)", like I think all atheists are trash.

Gee that sounds familiar....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 10 min KiMare 233,213
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr Richardfs 179
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr Morse 2,625
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Morse 23,279
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr Morse 5,960
faith & pride 3 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 5 hr _Bad Company 214
More from around the web