Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Well said and great points.
May I just mention as a side note how hard it is not to bust a gut laughing when a wingnut wants to lecture others on peace and treating people better?
I can't tell you how many times I was screamed at by their ilk while at protests against the shrub.
<quoted text>
Interesting use of free speech. Atheist group to fight this of course.
Similar to Bible Belt Ky?

When valedictorian Roy Costner IV ripped up his graduation speech yesterday and prayed the Lord’s prayer, he dealt a defiant riposte to the atheist whining which had prevailed over his South Carolinian school district. His prayer garnered an exuberant round of Southern hoots, hollers, and applause, as can be seen here.

Roy’s controversial witness comes on the tails of a similar controversy in Kentucky, where graduating class president Jonathan Hardwick issued his own prayer during the graduation ceremonies. One sensitive atheist schoolmate was not pleased and has stated that he may consider legal action. The young atheist told The Advocate Messenger,“Every student should feel safe at their graduation ceremony and should not have to worry about religious bullying.”

On the one hand, the charge of religious bullying is a bit comical—why get in a huff about a petition made of someone you do not believe to exist? But on the other, the atheist sees better than most what is truly at stake in a prayer offered at one of life’s critical junctures—the weaving of man’s relationship to God within the cultural fabric of our common social life. In some small way, what is at stake is the survival of a Christian worldview.

Is God the cause of our being? Does God exercise providence over his creation? Does our ultimate destiny, our true and final end, lie only with Him? Did the Son of God truly walk this Earth, teach us to pray, die, and rise from the dead? Do we then have a duty to offer thanks to God, give him praise, and turn to him in supplication?

When a public prayer of thanksgiving and petition is not offered at life’s significant junctures, we as a community answer “No” to at least the last of these questions. There is no neutrality in the matter. Certain times call for prayer, and not to offer it implicitly fosters an atheistic worldview by ignoring the practical demands which follow upon a community’s relationship to God.

Will such communal acts of prayer alienate some people? No. But, they will reveal the alienation that already exists. Let’s face it. If you don’t believe in God, your bonds of solidarity with those who do will be rather thin. The solution is not to dilute all such bonds to the weakness of your own.

Nothing forges greater bonds of solidarity than belonging to the same divine Father, and nothing is the source of greater joy. We revel in that joy when we unite in common prayer. No reason to feel bullied or jealous—our common prayer is an invitation and our joy free for the taking. Revel with us, or don’t, but don’t ask us to abandon our joy. It was bought at too great a price.

Agnosticism as usual
wins in the end !

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting use of free speech. Atheist group to fight this of course.
Similar to Bible Belt Ky?
When valedictorian Roy Costner IV ripped up his graduation speech yesterday and prayed the Lord’s prayer, he dealt a defiant riposte to the atheist whining which had prevailed over his South Carolinian school district. His prayer garnered an exuberant round of Southern hoots, hollers, and applause, as can be seen here.
Roy’s controversial witness comes on the tails of a similar controversy in Kentucky, where graduating class president Jonathan Hardwick issued his own prayer during the graduation ceremonies. One sensitive atheist schoolmate was not pleased and has stated that he may consider legal action. The young atheist told The Advocate Messenger,“Every student should feel safe at their graduation ceremony and should not have to worry about religious bullying.”
On the one hand, the charge of religious bullying is a bit comical—why get in a huff about a petition made of someone you do not believe to exist? But on the other, the atheist sees better than most what is truly at stake in a prayer offered at one of life’s critical junctures—the weaving of man’s relationship to God within the cultural fabric of our common social life. In some small way, what is at stake is the survival of a Christian worldview.
Is God the cause of our being? Does God exercise providence over his creation? Does our ultimate destiny, our true and final end, lie only with Him? Did the Son of God truly walk this Earth, teach us to pray, die, and rise from the dead? Do we then have a duty to offer thanks to God, give him praise, and turn to him in supplication?
When a public prayer of thanksgiving and petition is not offered at life’s significant junctures, we as a community answer “No” to at least the last of these questions. There is no neutrality in the matter. Certain times call for prayer, and not to offer it implicitly fosters an atheistic worldview by ignoring the practical demands which follow upon a community’s relationship to God.
Will such communal acts of prayer alienate some people? No. But, they will reveal the alienation that already exists. Let’s face it. If you don’t believe in God, your bonds of solidarity with those who do will be rather thin. The solution is not to dilute all such bonds to the weakness of your own.
Nothing forges greater bonds of solidarity than belonging to the same divine Father, and nothing is the source of greater joy. We revel in that joy when we unite in common prayer. No reason to feel bullied or jealous—our common prayer is an invitation and our joy free for the taking. Revel with us, or don’t, but don’t ask us to abandon our joy. It was bought at too great a price.
Agnosticism as usual
wins in the end !
Theists lie when they say god is all powerful. He wasn't powerful enough to make me a theist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

Evidently god still needs Christian trolls to spam their way into reality...

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

The chump didn't even understand my post as his stolen spam makes no sense with it.

Sadly his English is very lacking but I guess he posts and humiliates himself so he has something to talk about in church.
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Theists lie when they say god is all powerful. He wasn't powerful enough to make me a theist.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
Evidently god still needs Christian trolls to spam their way into reality...
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>The chump didn't even understand my post as his stolen spam makes no sense with it.

Sadly his English is very lacking but I guess he posts and humiliates himself so he has something to talk about in church.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

PICKENS COUNTY, SC (WYFF)- A school district under pressure to keep prayer out of meetings and gatherings got an unexpected delivery from one high school valedictorian.

Saturday, at Clemson's Littlejohn Coliseum, Liberty High Valedictorian Roy Costner IV took his speech to the podium, and in front of the crowd, tore it up.
MOREAdditional Links

John Eby, Pickens County School District spokesman, said, "They write their speeches. They send them to someone on staff to have them approved."

But Costner clearly had something else in mind.

After speaking for a few minutes, he thanked his parents for leading him to the Lord at a young age, and then he said, "I think most of you will understand when I say,'Our Father, who art in heaven…" as he began to recite the Lord's Prayer.

Much of the crowd broke into tentative applause that then grew into cheers that nearly drown out Costner's voice as he continued the Lord Prayer
-Skeptic- wrote:
Evidently God still needs Christian trolls to spam their way into reality...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Too many people buy into catch phrases just because it makes them "feel good" without ever considering what such a phrase even means. It's wonderful to want world peace and all, for example, but that's just not possible, you cannot get every species to stop fighting, not even humans. Another is "treat others as you would be treated," yeah, nope. A sadomasochist would want to be tortured, is that really a good philosophy for them to carry out? Not to mention there is no way every person could need the exact same things one person needs, just not possible. Nothing but catch phrases, and we can thank superstitious nonsense for them all. Nothing in the world is really simple, and every time someone says "all you need is love," I just want to knock their teeth in and take their money to add insult to injury. There is only one thing that has a simple solution, eliminating superstition, and the simple solution for that is education ... but then, that's not so simple either, is it?:P
Agreed-- it is far from simple.

More to the point, there is quality education and then there is the shit as taught by religious institutions.

I wouldn't call it education myself, but it does fit the broad definition well enough.

Unfortunately, what is taught in religious institutions isn't factual...

... which is more like abuse, than educating.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Well said and great points.
May I just mention as a side note how hard it is not to bust a gut laughing when a wingnut wants to lecture others on peace and treating people better?
I can't tell you how many times I was screamed at by their ilk while at protests against the shrub.
<quoted text>
Yes-- they want "peace" or so they say.

What they REALLY mean, is for everyone to simply give them what THEY want...!

Sick f**ks.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed-- it is far from simple.
More to the point, there is quality education and then there is the shit as taught by religious institutions.
I wouldn't call it education myself, but it does fit the broad definition well enough.
Unfortunately, what is taught in religious institutions isn't factual...
... which is more like abuse, than educating.
Warmed over Dawkins trip.
LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

Lincoln wrote:
PICKENS COUNTY, SC (WYFF)- A school district under pressure to keep prayer out of meetings and gatherings got an unexpected delivery from one high school valedictorian.
Saturday, at Clemson's Littlejohn Coliseum, Liberty High Valedictorian Roy Costner IV took his speech to the podium, and in front of the crowd, tore it up.
MOREAdditional Links
John Eby, Pickens County School District spokesman, said, "They write their speeches. They send them to someone on staff to have them approved."
But Costner clearly had something else in mind.
After speaking for a few minutes, he thanked his parents for leading him to the Lord at a young age, and then he said, "I think most of you will understand when I say,'Our Father, who art in heaven…" as he began to recite the Lord's Prayer.
Much of the crowd broke into tentative applause that then grew into cheers that nearly drown out Costner's voice as he continued the Lord Prayer
<quoted text>
Thanks for proving my point that god is not all-powerful as you claim and still needs dishonest christian trolls to spam the atheism forum in vain.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S olipsism
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
How Do You Know?
Here's the problem with Solipsism:

If the world I perceive is all in my mind, does that not make me God?

After all, everything is a creation of my own mind.

And if I die because of an accident, did I/God commit suicide?

Perhaps.

But here's a more damning bit of evidence why you should kill the Solipsist me/God:

Turn on the TV.

If the commercials or crappy shows don't incite you to murder God, well... maybe you deserve the hell I/God created for you.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Warmed over Dawkins trip.
LOL
No, that was not, that was an observation based on facts which many people have made. But, if Dawkins said it too, he's demonstrating his observational skills better than I thought.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2013

Judged:

greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the problem with Solipsism:
If the world I perceive is all in my mind, does that not make me God?
After all, everything is a creation of my own mind.
And if I die because of an accident, did I/God commit suicide?
Perhaps.
But here's a more damning bit of evidence why you should kill the Solipsist me/God:
Turn on the TV.
If the commercials or crappy shows don't incite you to murder God, well... maybe you deserve the hell I/God created for you.
Who mentioned god..? Oh yeah, that was you.
Solipsism it just taking the egocentric predicament a few steps farther.
The egocentric predicament can not be disputed.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2013

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Who mentioned god..? Oh yeah, that was you.
Solipsism it just taking the egocentric predicament a few steps farther.
The egocentric predicament can not be disputed.
Meh.

I knew you would say that as everything is just a creation of my mind. After all this time, the me God likes to play tricks on myself just to be entertained.

Do you have any idea how boring it is to be eternal and omniscient?

Maybe I should have Jim Jones come back just for kicks. That should entertain me for about a nanosecond...
Siro

Leichhardt, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Theists lie when they say god is all powerful. He wasn't powerful enough to make me a theist.
Nope....it was because he couldnt be bothered polishing a turd like yourself.

Or to put it in your language.....
F%&#*$*$ F#%K^NG $^%&*%$#@ and %&^*&^$% yo moma yo %&#&^*$^*$!!!!

Hows it going at the halfway house you loser?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Judged:

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Where have you been? I'm guessing jail, even the criminals in your country think you're a criminal.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Judged:

She's been using the EZ screen name.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Where have you been? I'm guessing jail, even the criminals in your country think you're a criminal.
Siro

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
She's been using the EZ screen name.
<quoted text>
You continue with your stupidity I see......
You dirt rolled cracka

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that your lie / excuse for your god not being "all-powerful" enough to able to convert atheists?

You need to try harder. Try telling the truth, I can educate you about that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 23 min Buck Crick 224,148
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 31 min Buck Crick 21,391
Our world came from nothing? 33 min Buck Crick 211
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 8 hr DonPanic 1,286
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 10 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 10 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu religionisillness 834
•••
•••