“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#3847 Mar 20, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That is what I like about TED it gives a short simple overview of the subject and then I decide from there if I wan more information.
There's another aspect of the TED presenters I've noticed: they employ some sort of voodoo magic.

I bet they could get me to watch for 15 minutes on the similarities and contrasts between watching paint dry and grass growing.

And that would still be more entertaining than most of the major network programming.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#3848 Mar 20, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
There's another aspect of the TED presenters I've noticed: they employ some sort of voodoo magic.
I bet they could get me to watch for 15 minutes on the similarities and contrasts between watching paint dry and grass growing.
And that would still be more entertaining than most of the major network programming.
What a fanciful description. But yeah, reality does tend to be more entertaining than the yarns spun by mainstream networks, which makes me wonder why people refuse to give up the yarns.

I would describe TED as a gateway drug, to the more addictive lectures and scientific discussions, as well as some of the really awesome contributions from scientists who make videos for YouTube during their spare time, as well as the very well studied, less professional, contributors to scientific videos on YouTube.

I sound like an advertisement, but ... we all have some resource which just sparks our interest, and mine is video.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#3849 Mar 20, 2013
What is so funny about the idiot is that he really wants you to think he is racing this motorcycle around whipping in and out of lanes between cars.... And is also have this long winded Jesus discussion.

Of course if you ever watch a video of a miced up dude on a bike especially during accelerating, the guy has to just about tell to be heard and the wind whips around so much you are lucky to catch one in four words. It's not this smooth fluent conversation.

I guess he does it as a gimmick to keep people watching? But anyone with a semi functioning brain could tell in two minutes the dude on the motorcycle isn't having this conversation that you are hearing.

I suggest for his next video he talk over... Plumbers working, birds chirping, a hog snorting an eating and maybe even dogs in heat footage just to mix it up for his Christian viewers.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Oh wow, now that I did not know. He's stupid enough to do that though, so I do not doubt you.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#3850 Mar 20, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
What is so funny about the idiot is that he really wants you to think he is racing this motorcycle around whipping in and out of lanes between cars.... And is also have this long winded Jesus discussion.
Of course if you ever watch a video of a miced up dude on a bike especially during accelerating, the guy has to just about tell to be heard and the wind whips around so much you are lucky to catch one in four words. It's not this smooth fluent conversation.
I guess he does it as a gimmick to keep people watching? But anyone with a semi functioning brain could tell in two minutes the dude on the motorcycle isn't having this conversation that you are hearing.
I suggest for his next video he talk over... Plumbers working, birds chirping, a hog snorting an eating and maybe even dogs in heat footage just to mix it up for his Christian viewers.
<quoted text>
I figured it was something like that, but I didn't think he was stealing footage as well though, that's what shocked me. His dishonesty knows no bounds, does it?

Lexington, KY

#3851 Mar 20, 2013
Nope. In fact I bet the chump shock of god doesn't even own a motorcycle.

But it shows how desperate they are to get attention even using cheap tactics like this.

What next speak about Jesus over a wet T-shirt contest footage?
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>I figured it was something like that, but I didn't think he was stealing footage as well though, that's what shocked me. His dishonesty knows no bounds, does it?

Nehwon

#3852 Mar 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What a fanciful description. But yeah, reality does tend to be more entertaining than the yarns spun by mainstream networks, which makes me wonder why people refuse to give up the yarns.
I would describe TED as a gateway drug, to the more addictive lectures and scientific discussions, as well as some of the really awesome contributions from scientists who make videos for YouTube during their spare time, as well as the very well studied, less professional, contributors to scientific videos on YouTube.
I sound like an advertisement, but ... we all have some resource which just sparks our interest, and mine is video.
I know what you mean. There were 2 TED talks I distinctly remember among others that if you mentioned it, I'd go "oh, yeah..."

First was Bill Gates. I wanted to hate that guy for all the BSOD's I've encountered. But that's not so easy when he's now using his money to try to eradicate polio like small pox...

The second and more memorable is still bizarre and off the wall to me. It was guy talking about the art of letters and signs. From the hand written signs in a window to graffiti.

How interesting and advancing science could that be?

It was quite entertaining and was one of those presentations I'd wish they'd let him go double time.

And every once in a while, I still take a second look at a sign or ad for its artistic value.

Nehwon

#3853 Mar 21, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Completely off-topic but this just triggered something I saw elsewhere.

Around 1/3 of Americans are organ donors but only a fraction of them take the extra step of fulfilling that commitment by buying a motorcycle.

Lexington, KY

#3854 Mar 21, 2013
Lol!

I actually have a Roadking myself. Not a fast bike more like a big shiny cruiser.
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>Completely off-topic but this just triggered something I saw elsewhere.

Around 1/3 of Americans are organ donors but only a fraction of them take the extra step of fulfilling that commitment by buying a motorcycle.
Lincoln

United States

#3857 Mar 21, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You lie. Proof? Here is a smattering of proof you are LYING.
Of course-- since your habit is to LIE, and LIE ALWAYS, we already knew that.
" http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-08-13... ;
Wonder how the question was phrased?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3858 Mar 21, 2013
The poll -- which was based on interviews with more than 50,000 people selected from 57 countries -- asked participants, "irrespective of whether they attended a place of worship, if they considered themselves to be religious, not religious, or an atheist."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/reli...
Lincoln

United States

#3859 Mar 21, 2013
EdSed wrote:
The poll -- which was based on interviews with more than 50,000 people selected from 57 countries -- asked participants, "irrespective of whether they attended a place of worship, if they considered themselves to be religious, not religious, or an atheist."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/reli...
57 countries...imagine atheists more influential overseas?
Encouraging ?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3860 Mar 21, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
57 countries...imagine atheists more influential overseas?
Encouraging ?
Progress seems unduly slow. Hopefully religion and religious faith will decline faster as education and access to modern social media increase.

Religion = superstition
Truth will out. Numbers don't determine what's wrong or correct.

http://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/
Lincoln

United States

#3861 Mar 21, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Progress seems unduly slow. Hopefully religion and religious faith will decline faster as education and access to modern social media increase.
Religion = superstition
Truth will out. Numbers don't determine what's wrong or correct.
http://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/
Religion = superstition

Atheism = no influence on society ?

“praying for you!”

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#3862 Mar 21, 2013
Richard wrote:
This is to put in one place all those peals of wisdom generated by the godbots, so we can all LOL.
"peals" of wisdom? what the --- I'm laughing already.

the dumbest thing posted is the word 'godbot'.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3863 Mar 21, 2013
Walterwalter wrote:
<quoted text>
"peals" of wisdom? what the --- I'm laughing already.
the dumbest thing posted is the word 'godbot'.
Indeed... the word godbot, or god-robot, has become an internet meme.

It refers to the fact that god-botherers act exactly like little mindless drones, repeating the same old sh7t day after day.

And said sh7t isn't even modern-- it's rehashed crap from the slightly-less mindless shills who pathetically attempt to "explain" the serious and fatal flaws in the various "holy" books. Bible Apologetics.

Sad, really-- that they feel that apologizing for the mistakes, contradictions, and outright lies in their book will help.

It won't.

To qualify as divine? The book in question would have to BE divine--and self-evidently so.

So divine, that there wouldn't even be a question about it's divinity--no one would EVER need to explain-- just reading it would instantly, and automatically indicate to the reader it's self-evident divine status.

You know.

Kind of like Harry Potter--only much-more so. Divinely more so.

THAT kind of divine.

Sad, really-- these god-robots, these godbots, keep on playing their broken programs, stuck in an infinite GOTO loop...
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3864 Mar 21, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion = superstition
Atheism = no influence on society ?
You keep demonstrating that you cannot conceive of a world that is finally largley free of superstition.

And you cannot understand the dictionary meaning of words either..
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist

Atheism isn't an influence on anything, society or anything else. It is simply an absense of superstitious beliefs in any gods.

Religion is the last bastion of superstition and rejecting superstition is progress in itself.
Lincoln

United States

#3865 Mar 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Indeed... the word godbot, or god-robot, has become an internet meme.
It refers to the fact that god-botherers act exactly like little mindless drones, repeating the same old sh7t day after day.
And said sh7t isn't even modern-- it's rehashed crap from the slightly-less mindless shills who pathetically attempt to "explain" the serious and fatal flaws in the various "holy" books. Bible Apologetics.
Sad, really-- that they feel that apologizing for the mistakes, contradictions, and outright lies in their book will help.
It won't.
To qualify as divine? The book in question would have to BE divine--and self-evidently so.
So divine, that there wouldn't even be a question about it's divinity--no one would EVER need to explain-- just reading it would instantly, and automatically indicate to the reader it's self-evident divine status.
You know.
Kind of like Harry Potter--only much-more so. Divinely more so.
THAT kind of divine.
Sad, really-- these god-robots, these godbots, keep on playing their broken programs, stuck in an infinite GOTO loop...
Will You be running for office this year?
With your ideas a seat in Congress seems assured .

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3866 Mar 21, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>You keep demonstrating that you cannot conceive of a world that is finally largley free of superstition.
And you cannot understand the dictionary meaning of words either..
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheist
Atheism isn't an influence on anything, society or anything else. It is simply an absense of superstitious beliefs in any gods.
Religion is the last bastion of superstition and rejecting superstition is progress in itself.
There is a great deal of reality that Lincoln cannot understand.

Point of fact-- he has lost 90% of his brain in a severe accidental mind-poisoning.

The poison in question is called "the bible".

Really sad.

Lexington, KY

#3867 Mar 21, 2013
Well Lincoln logs is always babbling about band wagon fallacy right? He like many of the Christians on here actually celebrate being weak sheep who must follow.

Unlike us atheists we celebrate our strength to desire the unvarnished truth over a comforting lie. We tend to self lead rather than have a need to follow.
<quoted text>There is a great deal of reality that Lincoln cannot understand.

Point of fact-- he has lost 90% of his brain in a severe accidental mind-poisoning.

The poison in question is called "the bible".

Really sad.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3868 Mar 21, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Well Lincoln logs is always babbling about band wagon fallacy right? He like many of the Christians on here actually celebrate being weak sheep who must follow.
Unlike us atheists we celebrate our strength to desire the unvarnished truth over a comforting lie. We tend to self lead rather than have a need to follow.
<quoted text>
Please, do NOT denighrate "Lincoln Logs" like that! I loved those when I was a kid! I still have most of my original set that my son enjoys playing with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 28 min Dave Nelson 230,945
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr MUQ1 23,041
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 6 hr Hooogle It 77
Evidence for God! 11 hr Uncle Sam 43
Heaven 11 hr susanblange 42
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 20 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,391
Our world came from nothing? Thu _Bad Company 1,103

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE