“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#3826 Mar 20, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Good thing! Because your numbers SUCK!!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...
A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.
Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.
Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.
According to a 2012 report by thePew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...
According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."
Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population
While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...
This page has some issues
Main category: Religious demographics
Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:
The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%
persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,
In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:
In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.
Whee! a Gish Gallop!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#3827 Mar 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yeah, now the "someone said it, it must be true" fallacy. Your streak of fallacious claims is still going strong.
Have another drink!

Location hidden

#3828 Mar 20, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Are you really humiliating yourself with the Eric Hovind wannabe shock of god's website?

Seriously reject one would think you could do better than quoting an apologetic website for facts.
Nope this is from a atheist web site.

Location hidden

#3829 Mar 20, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>"
Sorry Charlie.

Why so upset with the real numbers?
Don't like the fact the no one is following your atheist March on the world? LOL

What a fool you all are.

A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.

Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.

Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.

According to a 2012 report by thePew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.

According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."

Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population

While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining

The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%

persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesotainvolving a poll of 2,000 households in theUnited States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,

In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.

Location hidden

#3830 Mar 20, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Well, he has no other resource. Google pretty much demonstrates that poll after poll world-wide, shows atheism/nonbelief is on the rise.

And religions are growing desperate for converts....

... such that they turn to insane folk such as Langy here...!

No self-respecting god would permit the likes of Langy to be its spokes-weenie.

Seriously....
Ya all atheist surveys.

Real sources like I use all. " ALL " show
The decline in atheism.

persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesotainvolving a poll of 2,000 households in theUnited States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#3831 Mar 20, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope this is from a atheist web site.
No, the link you presented is from a user known as "shockofgod," he's also one of the biggest and most dishonest nutjobs of YouTube.

Nehwon

#3832 Mar 20, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
This has been posted by one of your own, an atheist but this one seems to be waking up to the facts of your cult.
Atheists are worrying studies show atheism is shrinking. Why is atheism on the decline?
Now that Christopher Hitchens has died...it seems that atheism is constantly going downhill.
And to top it all off...
Recently I was reading an article on how atheism is on the decline at http://www.shockawenow.net in the LINKS area. It seems that us atheists are not making good enough progress. The study shows atheism is actually now going backwards and shrinking world wide. About 300 people per day are leaving atheism as a result of the new world economy and atheism not answering the problems people have. What can we do as atheists to turn the tide and help atheism grow again..and not shrink any longer? Any ides?"
LOL. Oh no what can be done? Help!
LOL
So I took a look at your shockawenow site.

They sure have a lot of "Free Stuff" buttons. I clicked on the first one and was pleasantly surprised my anti-virus program didn't go crazy.

Jesus Christ! They have a "The most realistic combat simulator in the world" video game link.

This certainly supports the Christian dogma of "Snipe thine enemies" given by Jesus with his Sermon on the Mount.
Lincoln

United States

#3834 Mar 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the link you presented is from a user known as "shockofgod," he's also one of the biggest and most dishonest nutjobs of YouTube.
YouTube is great for music

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#3835 Mar 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
YouTube is great for music
As well as scientific lectures and discussions, as long as you avoid the insanity of the fundies.
Lincoln

United States

#3836 Mar 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
As well as scientific lectures and discussions, as long as you avoid the insanity of the fundies.
TED a good network

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#3837 Mar 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
TED a good network
It's okay, offers more opinion than actual science though. I prefer the university lectures from Berkeley and others.
Lincoln

United States

#3838 Mar 20, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya all atheist surveys.
Real sources like I use all. " ALL " show
The decline in atheism.
Influence of atheists seems in decline ?
Same with the Baptists, as they failed to elect Mitt Romney.
People getting bored by both?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#3839 Mar 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, both "declines," as there is likely no real decline in either, are probably the result of the same reason but for differing types. Stigma.

Atheists would fear taking the label simply because of popularity, a flaw in our social traits. An unpopular person is thought to be an outcast, or irrelevant, by people so much that anything which threatens popularity will cause any unevolved humans to avoid it, even if it is accurate.

For Baptists, well, Westboro pretty much created the entire stigma of holding that label. The name is now being associated with hatemongering and criminal behavior, as well as some really disgraceful activities. Thus, they would likely claim something else, or "non-demoninational, " maybe even avoid the label of "christian" altogether.

Nehwon

#3840 Mar 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's okay, offers more opinion than actual science though. I prefer the university lectures from Berkeley and others.
TED presentations don't have the time to go into the details. They are to promote interest into researching further into the topic.

Not quite a commercial or info-mercial where they expect you to "Call now! Have your credit card number standing by!" but to put a spotlight on things the normal media channels won't cover. Not a lot of bleeding or people in skimpy swimsuits there.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#3841 Mar 20, 2013
Shock of god is a retard! He's the christhole who steals footage of the motorcycle rider who films himself riding around, knight rider I believe he calls himself. Next he plays the stolen video and preaches his apologetic nonsense over top of it!

Shock has made a shockingly bad jackass out of himself on the atheist experience several times.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>No, the link you presented is from a user known as "shockofgod," he's also one of the biggest and most dishonest nutjobs of YouTube.

Nehwon

#3842 Mar 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'd say the Baptists weren't voting -for- Mitt Romney but against Obama or any candidate with a "D" next to their name.

For many Baptists, Mormonism is a heretical cult. Not sure how they rank versus Papist antichrist Catholics...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#3843 Mar 20, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
TED presentations don't have the time to go into the details. They are to promote interest into researching further into the topic.
Not quite a commercial or info-mercial where they expect you to "Call now! Have your credit card number standing by!" but to put a spotlight on things the normal media channels won't cover. Not a lot of bleeding or people in skimpy swimsuits there.
I cannot argue that.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#3844 Mar 20, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Shock of god is a retard! He's the christhole who steals footage of the motorcycle rider who films himself riding around, knight rider I believe he calls himself. Next he plays the stolen video and preaches his apologetic nonsense over top of it!
Shock has made a shockingly bad jackass out of himself on the atheist experience several times.
<quoted text>
Oh wow, now that I did not know. He's stupid enough to do that though, so I do not doubt you.

Nehwon

#3845 Mar 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, both "declines," as there is likely no real decline in either, are probably the result of the same reason but for differing types. Stigma.
Atheists would fear taking the label simply because of popularity, a flaw in our social traits. An unpopular person is thought to be an outcast, or irrelevant, by people so much that anything which threatens popularity will cause any unevolved humans to avoid it, even if it is accurate.
For Baptists, well, Westboro pretty much created the entire stigma of holding that label. The name is now being associated with hatemongering and criminal behavior, as well as some really disgraceful activities. Thus, they would likely claim something else, or "non-demoninational, " maybe even avoid the label of "christian" altogether.
Westboro is a prime example of the worst of the secular and religious realm. They are a bunch of lawyers trying to exploit the legal system in the name of religion.(This is why we can't have nice things.)

But they are a good example for one thing - testing the boundaries of Freedom of Speech.

They can excrete what they want (with some restrictions) from their upper orifice that smells a lot like what the lower orifice also excretes.

But I can disregard what they say. Or I can exercise my Freedom of Speech by countering that I think they suck and blow at the same time.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#3846 Mar 20, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what I like about TED it gives a short simple overview of the subject and then I decide from there if I wan more information.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 4 min thetruth 34
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 30 min Willy2Willy 232,039
God' existence 59 min Carchar king 3
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow 1 hr Carchar king 7
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 13 hr tha Professor 1,051
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Thu Ooogah Boogah 14,456
Why Christians should stick up for atheists Thu thetruth 8

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE