Comments
3,441 - 3,460 of 5,577 Comments Last updated Thursday Aug 14

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3541 Mar 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
A while back for laughs I read about beer, supposedly after it rained on some farmer's pots of grain they decided to drink the water that soaked their crop and ancient beer!
Buck will be sitting out a stale loaf of bread in the dog bowl next time it rains :))
<quoted text>
I wonder: would that taste better than the domestic American .. ahem... "beer" he usually drinks?

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3542 Mar 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
And who was the first person to work out sharks liver was the thing to put on their haemorrhoids?
<quoted text>
I suspect that any number of things were tried for hemorrhoids back in those days-- from what I've read, they are quite painful (never had'em, thank the DNA-of-my-ancestors) but I quite imagine for a primitive, they'd try anything that wasn't immediately fatal to get relief.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#3543 Mar 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If you see a dog doing that to its own sh!t, it's often down to fear of punishment from a poor owner.
When you house train a puppy, you should only chastise if you catch it in the act.
If you chastise a puppy after the event, it may assume it's the sh!t itself that is your issue, and the best way to avoid punishment is to get rid of the evidence.
Well done. You now have trained a dog to eat its own sh!t.
The analogy with religious belief is quite something, don't you think?
<quoted text>
That is not entirely true. It is one possibility but it is not the most common one.
"There are several possible causes of dogs eating feces or other non-food items, including malnutrition, vitamin deficiency, increased appetite, or conditions such as diabetes, or thyroid disease. Parasites can be another of the causes for this behavior.

Sometimes a dog will eat their feces if there are undigested articles of food in their stool. Mothers with newborns will also commonly eat the feces of their newborns. As such, puppies may eat feces as an observation of the mother's behavior or as part of exploration. In addition, a dog may eat feces as a response to recent punishment, to get attention or because it desires to clean its environmental area"
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive... +[Search]&utm_term=why%20d ogs%20eat%20their%20poop& &utm_content=s1m3PI35W|pcr id|20546417815|pkw|why%20dogs% 20eat%20their%20poop|pmt|b &gclid=COTDqvjt5bUCFc5AMgo d42YAbQ#.UTYK3lf75QI

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3544 Mar 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Well I could see experimentation in a lab for that. But to pick up something out of a goat turd and say hmmmm let's brew that up!
Maybe it makes the greatest coffee ever but I would love to have a time machine and go back to that guy running up to the village hottie saying, check this out girl! We're gonna drink some goat droppings! Huh uh where you going? Come back!
:))
<quoted text>
I have a theory about that-- the seeds in question have/had a very strong coating on them, specifically evolved to survive passage through your typical mammal's gut.

This is a quite useful strategy for seeds-- it get's them much farther away from their parent's location, and being dropped surrounded by (to a plant) nutrient goodness gives them a jump-start on spring growth.

But back to the coffee: I suspect the benefits of coffee beans had already been discovered before these gut-enhanced ones were tried.

All it would take, was a seed-gatherer who was desperate for more seeds, discovering some in rain-washed poo, and gathered those up. Remember to a primitive, the taboo of waste was likely very low-- they would quite happily spread "night soil" directly onto their gardens after all.

Anyway, this coffee-bean seed-gatherer noticed these just laying there-- easy pickings if you will-- no need to clean off the outer husk either.

And discovered he preferred the taste of these gut-enhanced beans over the more mundane variety-- and passed this discovery on.

:D

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#3545 Mar 5, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder: would that taste better than the domestic American .. ahem... "beer" he usually drinks?
LOL!
Wait one minute ... people call that beer?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3546 Mar 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I don't know about goat coffee, but the African cat (civet) coffee is meant to be good because the cat breaks down the hard outer of the bean.
As I drink tea, not coffee, I guess I'll never be able to judge.
Still, I use honey from time to time. Some types of honey go through an aphid gut before being re eaten and regurgitated by a bee...
<quoted text>
Honey.... that >>almost<< makes me believe in a magical sky-god who deliberately made honey happen.

Almost.

It [honey] is bee vomit, without a doubt-- but that so does not stop me from enjoying it.

My favorite is local, fall-gathered honey-- the taste is richer than the spring honey, and the honey is of a darker color.

... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....(picture of Homer Simpson drooling)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3547 Mar 5, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should atheists love people who hate them?
Why indeed.

However, most of the atheists I know, don't hate True Believers™ themselves; indeed, most would happily leave them to their insanity.

What they and I despise? Is the >>activities<< of True Believers™-- the sort of activities that infringe on the >>rights<< of non-believers and believers-of-another-faith alike.

>>THAT<< is what we oppose-- they are free to hate as much as they want, so long as they keep the hate (their faith) to themselves.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3548 Mar 5, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Because Christians know not what they do!:-)
Oh, I suspect they do know-- and they revel in it.

The theology of infinite torture teaches them to hate, you see.

Only >>hate<< will let them live with the idea of an infinite-torturing deity.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3549 Mar 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but you don't have to be nice to someone to forgive them. If another animal bites your hand off, you can easily forgive it, but do you ever stop being cautious around it?
Indeed.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#3550 Mar 5, 2013
It would have less preservatives :)
<quoted text>
LOL!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#3551 Mar 5, 2013
<quoted text>
I suspect that any number of things were tried for hemorrhoids back in those days-- from what I've read, they are quite painful (never had'em, thank the DNA-of-my-ancestors) but I quite imagine for a primitive, they'd try anything that wasn't immediately fatal to get relief.
Believe me, during a serious hemorrhoid attack, you will do *anything* to relieve the pain. I had them bad enough that I needed a hemorrhoidectomy. Let's just say that a 6" needle *there* was a better alternative than what I was experiencing. After the in-office surgery, I had another flare-up and needed to have emergency surgery in the hospital. The recovery was literally the worst pain I have had in my life.

Now, I have not had a kidney stone or (obviously) given birth, but my wife said that birth looked better than what I went through. So, if I was around 3000 years ago and someone suggested a nice, cool shark liver as a relief? No problem!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3552 Mar 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe me, during a serious hemorrhoid attack, you will do *anything* to relieve the pain. I had them bad enough that I needed a hemorrhoidectomy. Let's just say that a 6" needle *there* was a better alternative than what I was experiencing. After the in-office surgery, I had another flare-up and needed to have emergency surgery in the hospital. The recovery was literally the worst pain I have had in my life.

Now, I have not had a kidney stone or (obviously) given birth, but my wife said that birth looked better than what I went through. So, if I was around 3000 years ago and someone suggested a nice, cool shark liver as a relief? No problem!
Indeed. Evolution has placed quite an excess of neural sensors at that unfortunate location; I could theorize as to why, but that's another thing.

:)

Again, thank-the-DNA-of-my-ancestors, I've never had a kidney stone-- but my brother had one, as has a close friend. Both expressed it was extreme agony to experience.

As for hemorrhoids, it appears to vary with the individual, as some folk seem to have a relatively mild case, and seem willing to put up with it for years.

But I have read that it can be one of the most painful things humans can have, and I can sympathize with it.

As a child once observed:

Pain hurts!

Indeed, it does.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#3553 Mar 5, 2013
More pedantry from you.

An adult dog regularly eating its own is most likely to have been poorly treated.
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That is not entirely true. It is one possibility but it is not the most common one.
"There are several possible causes of dogs eating feces or other non-food items, including malnutrition, vitamin deficiency, increased appetite, or conditions such as diabetes, or thyroid disease. Parasites can be another of the causes for this behavior.
Sometimes a dog will eat their feces if there are undigested articles of food in their stool. Mothers with newborns will also commonly eat the feces of their newborns. As such, puppies may eat feces as an observation of the mother's behavior or as part of exploration. In addition, a dog may eat feces as a response to recent punishment, to get attention or because it desires to clean its environmental area"
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive... +[Search]&utm_term=why%20d ogs%20eat%20their%20poop& &utm_content=s1m3PI35W|pcr id|20546417815|pkw|why%20dogs% 20eat%20their%20poop|pmt|b &gclid=COTDqvjt5bUCFc5AMgo d42YAbQ#.UTYK3lf75QI
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#3554 Mar 5, 2013
"You want me to try shark's liver? Are you crazy? I tried mammoth kidney and it did f**k all."
<quoted text>
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#3555 Mar 5, 2013
Eddie Izzard was amazed that bees make honey. "I mean, do earwigs make chutney? Do spiders make gravy? What is going on?"
<quoted text>
Honey.... that >>almost<< makes me believe in a magical sky-god who deliberately made honey happen.
Almost.
It [honey] is bee vomit, without a doubt-- but that so does not stop me from enjoying it.
My favorite is local, fall-gathered honey-- the taste is richer than the spring honey, and the honey is of a darker color.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#3556 Mar 5, 2013
As for hemorrhoids, it appears to vary with the individual, as some folk seem to have a relatively mild case, and seem willing to put up with it for years.
But I have read that it can be one of the most painful things humans can have, and I can sympathize with it.
Mine started out as mere annoyances and got progressively worse over the years.

A piece of advice for anyone who is interested:
If your hemorrhoids are mere annoyances or are at the level where the pain is endurable, DON'T GET THE SURGERY. Believe me, you will know when the surgery is required. There will not be a single question.
As a child once observed:
Pain hurts!
Indeed, it does.
I just recently had an outbreak of gout in my big toe. That is another nasty business. I could not walk across the room.
Lincoln

United States

#3557 Mar 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Almost.
Quantum has problems with history and logic
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#3558 Mar 5, 2013
Podagra? Hope you get well soon. My uncle had that for a while and it brought a tear to the eye.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If your hemorrhoids are mere annoyances or are at the level where the pain is endurable, DON'T GET THE SURGERY. Believe me, you will know when the surgery is required. There will not be a single question.
<quoted text>
I just recently had an outbreak of gout in my big toe. That is another nasty business. I could not walk across the room.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3559 Mar 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
"You want me to try shark's liver? Are you crazy? I tried mammoth kidney and it did f**k all."
<quoted text>
LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3560 Mar 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Oh, my Poly!

I'm so sorry to read you are suffering from that-- I've had several acquaintances who suffered from that (one who still does). It's an ugly turn that DNA has taken, for sure.

I do hope you are able to get it treated.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min PatrickisaCreatio... 226,245
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 4 min PatrickisaCreatio... 27
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 6 min PatrickisaCreatio... 12
100% Faith Free 8 min PatrickisaCreatio... 9
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 9 min PatrickisaCreatio... 11
Our world came from nothing? 50 min CunningLinguist 402
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr CunningLinguist 21,498
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••