The New Atheism and Evolutionary Religious Studies: Clarifying Their Relationship

There are 4 comments on the May 17, 2012, Switched story titled The New Atheism and Evolutionary Religious Studies: Clarifying Their Relationship. In it, Switched reports that:

Atheism is a disbelief in Gods. "The New Atheism" refers to an exceptionally active group of atheists centered around the work of Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett, and the recently deceased Christopher Hitchens. All four are distinguished intellectuals and scientists. Dawkins and Dennett are especially known as interpreters of evolution for the general public. Legions have become turned on to evolutionary science through their work.

Evolutionary Religious Studies (ERS) is the scholarly study of religion from an evolutionary perspective.

ERS is therefore one of the new kids on the block as far as religious studies is concerned. Its bold claim is that modern evolutionary science can go beyond the many other scholarly perspectives in shedding light on the nature of religion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Switched.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#1 May 21, 2012
This could be an interesting study.
Amused - the real one

Lagos, Nigeria

#2 May 24, 2012
another racket to sponge off taxpayers for the benefit of ugly slags like yourself
Ia havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#3 May 26, 2012
I doubt that you are the real one. that one is more elegant in his phrasing.
Amused - the real one wrote:
another racket to sponge off taxpayers for the benefit of ugly slags like yourself
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#4 May 26, 2012
Ia havent forgotten wrote:
I doubt that you are the real one. that one is more elegant in his phrasing. <quoted text>
The guy using Lagos, Nigeria ISP is a known troll on Topix.(He may be a child?)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min ChristineM 238,241
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 31 min Patrick n Angela 6,113
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 37 min Patrick n Angela 14,614
News Confessions of a black atheist 50 min Samoan Irish 431
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr Freebird USA 9,347
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineM 2,066
News The Consequences of Atheism 9 hr JesusWasNOTaJew -... 1,321
More from around the web