Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Apr 30, 2011 | Posted by: Hedonist | Full story: www.washingtonpost.com

Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists.

Comments
11,341 - 11,360 of 38,673 Comments Last updated Oct 15, 2012

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#11739 Jul 6, 2011
oops.. correction *To, and , *Left.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Earth,TX

#11740 Jul 6, 2011
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence please, you are not credible!
Says he who is without any credibility at all, evidence of a predicted future. Yeah, I'll get right on that!
Have you ever acknowledged any fact, no matter how many times, it is posted?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#11741 Jul 6, 2011
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an atheist on a Harley.
There's always exceptions, you may well be one of 'em. I'm an atheist when I get on, atheist when I get off ... in between I'm a weird amalgam of man, machine and nature that hint's at a religious experience. Maybe it's the spirit of the bug's I take out, whispering to me.

Texas, USA

#11742 Jul 6, 2011
mike_lee wrote:
<quoted text>I used to read Carlos Castaneda on mescaline,looking back, that might have been a mistake.
Do you mean you read Carlos on THE SUBJECT of mescaline or you read him WHILE ON mescaline. I read the whole series, don't remember if I was intoxicated while reading 'em though. Never did really "do" mescaline ... Peyote buttons ... I guess mescaline is the active ingredient in those nasty things. I don't regret reading these books or my psychedelic drug "experiments". We are the sum of our experiences and we wouldn't be the fascinating, effervescent people we are now. On our death beds, our only regrets should be for things we DID NOT get to do.

Earth,TX

#11743 Jul 6, 2011
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Understanding Of The Bible Is Quite Juvinile, Are You American ? Or Another Inciter Of Hate From Abroad. Your Anti=American To Be Sure.
Never read it as written, I got that.

If a god had wanted you to understand his only message to the earth, he might have thrown in, a million and two ways to translate it.
Oh wait he did. The right way to understand the buybull is to read it any way that does not touch what is actually written therein. Either that or however your magic monkey of the moment* presents it.

*priest, pastor, witch doctor, minister, whoever is doing your jue jue for you. Your spell caster, as it were.

Is your Jewish zombie Rabbi, an American?

Texas, USA

#11744 Jul 6, 2011
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't really know. First, I don't know what constitutes "the poor" here. By American standards, it's most of the country.
Poverty can just mean poor. But it really means more in America, anyway. It also means misery. I think that there has to be a level of misery for the term poverty to be meaningful, not just very little money. Many people that we would both call poor appear happy. They are poor, but I think that they feel well treated by their families, friends and neighbors, and possibly don't experience the government much or expect much from it. Is that poverty? Only in the money sense, not the misery sense.
Another huge difference is that poverty isn't synonymous with violence here. In America, being poor means living where you're vulnerable to violence and robbery, and usually to police brutality as well. And outsiders like you and me going into such areas are in peril.
This isn't violent, frightening poverty. It's bare feet or sandals, dirt floors, begging, tortillas and broth without meat - maybe some eggs of there are chickens - scraping by. Sure, bad enough. But it's not drive-by shootings and crack whores. They are happier than America's poor, even if a lot poorer.
That's how it looks, anyways. I've only been here two years, and though I know many Mexicans through their work, like the waiters at the restaurants if frequent most, or the contractors that we have retained, I have rarely been invited into their homes or met their families.
The poor in Mexico or other "foriegn" lands aren't really "treated" some way or another ... they're just ignored, non-players. They're happier (or at least less miserable) because unlike "our" poor, they enjoy the simple dignity of scratching out their own living and are not constantly bombarded with imagery of the things they don't have.

Earth,TX

#11745 Jul 6, 2011
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny How You Use Jesus When You Need To.....Otherwise He Dosnt Exist For You. Typical
Exactly as you do, yes?
You daily, reflect what you really think of your Jebus. Every day you are here, you show us what you really think of his message.

Earth,TX

#11746 Jul 6, 2011
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all, just love how you atheists assume crap.
Yeah, I know. What you think, that you show us, is not what we see. What we are seeing is that you do not, act on or live out the buybull that you preach. And you all, just assume that your zombie Rabbi, will not notice.

Earth,TX

#11747 Jul 6, 2011
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so dumb. But hey, it is expected from you.
Don't question the buybull.
Don't question the believers.
Don't question the buybull thumpers.
Don't question the contradictions.
Don't question the lies.
Don't question the impossibilities.
Don't question the ministers.
Don't question the priest.
Don't question the witch doctors.
Don't question the pastors.

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiieeeeeeeeee. You questioned, your dumb!

Did I get that right? Is that your message?

Earth,TX

#11748 Jul 6, 2011
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
A bastard doesn't necessarily have to know his father moron. You know this first hand.
Your words were " but the bastardos are people like you who have no clue who their father is, now your words are "A bastard doesn't necessarily have to know his father moron" .

Is it difficult to function with so many conflicting entities inhabiting that shell of yours?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#11749 Jul 6, 2011
CuriousOrange wrote:
<quoted text>
I think neuroscience will survive and prosper no matter what random morons think.
Yes but I don't think Mike Lee is a moron. I think he is one of the smartest and wisest theists on topix.
I think he was indoctrinated as a child and will not let go of its hold no matter how much he has learned about philosophy.
I baffles me sometimes but it makes me realize that the idea of god does withstand a great amount of knowledge if the individual wants to keep the god.
Mike Lee accepts a lot of science and evolution but regects the one science that answers some supposed gap for him to insert a god into.

God only exists in ones gap of knowledge.

Mike Lee is my evidence.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Fennario

#11751 Jul 6, 2011
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an atheist on a Harley.
Don't forget your helmet:
http://news.yahoo.com/motorcyclist-crashes-he...
LMT

Twinsburg, OH

#11752 Jul 6, 2011
<quoted text>
Don't forget your helmet:
http://news.yahoo.com/motorcyclist-crashes-he...
Prime contender for the 2011 Darwin Award!
Costly

New York, NY

#11753 Jul 6, 2011
<quoted text>
Liberals never advocate robbing from the poor.
You don't want to get your information about what liberals think from conservatives any more than you want to get your descriptions of atheists from Christians for the same reason. If you'll think about it, you might realize that what you learned about liberals didn't come from liberals. That should make you question it all.
Aaahhhaa.No so fast America is flooded with liberalism colleges and their professors,most media,print and televised are from the liberal point of view,google a topic and most times you get a liberal point of view.The liberal point of view is not to hard to come by.On the other hand anytime someone takes a conservative point of view it is skewed and bashed with cries from liberals of Racism and bigotry.

Fennario

#11754 Jul 6, 2011
PLUMS wrote:
That's not the same as the "Good Samaritan" and you know it. The man who was injured that he helped was not an illegal leach.
No. The Samaritan was the foreigner, possibly an illegal. The man he helped - presumably a local - "leached" from him :

Luke 10:30-37 Jesus answered, "A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who both stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. By chance a certain priest was going down that way. When he saw him, he passed by on the other side. In the same way a Levite also, when he came to the place, and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he traveled, came where he was. When he saw him, he was moved with compassion, came to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. He set him on his own animal, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, and gave them to the host, and said to him,‘Take care of him. Whatever you spend beyond that, I will repay you when I return.’ Now which of these three do you think seemed to be a neighbor to him who fell among the robbers?" He said, "He who showed mercy on him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

==========

You have a beautiful heart, Christian - no doubt because you follow such a beautiful religion. Thanks for sharing it.

Fennario

#11755 Jul 6, 2011
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The poor in Mexico or other "foriegn" lands aren't really "treated" some way or another ... they're just ignored, non-players. They're happier (or at least less miserable) because unlike "our" poor, they enjoy the simple dignity of scratching out their own living and are not constantly bombarded with imagery of the things they don't have.
That's correct. And that really is the answer Wolfie was looking for - how the government treats the poor in Mexico : it seems very little.

You're right about not being "constantly bombarded with imagery of the things they don't have." That matters. Those that have been - the ones living on the border towns, or those who have lived in the US, are usually the tough guys. It's envy they feel plus the prejudice that they are subjected to that harden them and which wipes that smile that I mentioned off their faces

Location hidden

#11756 Jul 6, 2011
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean you read Carlos on THE SUBJECT of mescaline or you read him WHILE ON mescaline. I read the whole series, don't remember if I was intoxicated while reading 'em though. Never did really "do" mescaline ... Peyote buttons ... I guess mescaline is the active ingredient in those nasty things. I don't regret reading these books or my psychedelic drug "experiments". We are the sum of our experiences and we wouldn't be the fascinating, effervescent people we are now. On our death beds, our only regrets should be for things we DID NOT get to do.
I like the way you think, and I read while tripping.

Location hidden

#11757 Jul 6, 2011
CuriousOrange wrote:
<quoted text>
No gods in science, dude.:)
Maybe your definition of god is too narrow. Many believe were all gods.

Fennario

#11758 Jul 6, 2011
Costly wrote:
<quoted text>Aaahhhaa.No so fast America is flooded with liberalism colleges and their professors,most media,print and televised are from the liberal point of view,google a topic and most times you get a liberal point of view.The liberal point of view is not to hard to come by.On the other hand anytime someone takes a conservative point of view it is skewed and bashed with cries from liberals of Racism and bigotry.
I agree that the universities are mostly liberal bastions.

So is much of Hollywood. But otherwise, I disagree about the media being liberal.

Either way, I wasn't saying that there are no liberals in America. There are, and they are unhappy, which is why some of us have left.

What I was saying is that liberalism isn't present in the government any more apart from vestiges of the past. The people that the right calls far left liberals like Obama are not even liberal to me. Nor is Pelosi, nor Reid. Bill Clinton and Kerry are somewhere between moderate liberal and moderate conservative. Is Leahy still in the Senate? He's pretty progressive. And Kucinich in the House. I can't think of too many more out of the 535 Congresspersons.

If you're conservative, you can never be made to believe that. I realize that. All I can say to that is that I am a liberal and was happy about almost nothing that that government had done in thirty years. And the wealthy conservatives are rolling in money like never before. They love it.

Regarding the idea of a liberal American media, that's a myth. The American media are owned by a handful of huge corporations that are hyperconservative.

This article will give you an overview of who owns the major media in America. These are NOT liberals:

http://www.fair.org/index.php...

The article mentions Disney, one of the media giants. Here's what Disney owns, which includes Miramax Films, Touchstone Pictures, Walt Disney Pictures, Pixar Animation Studios, ABC, ESPN, and multiple television and radio stations :
http://www.cjr.org/resources/index.php...

As I said, Disney, like Viacom, GE and Murdoch, are hyperconservative. I'm not a very political guy any more since leaving America. But I used to be, and I posted on this subject extensively in the past. Here's a few scraps:

"Perhaps you missed the stink in 2004 when Michael Moore and the Weinstein brothers released Moore’s documentary Fahrenheit 911. Nothing like this had ever come through the “liberal” MSM. The Weinsteins were under contract with Miramax, a Disney subsidiary, so Disney tried to kill it. They tried to prevent its distribution, which I believe was to be through Disney’s Buena Vista division. CNN and Warner would have done the same if the movie had come out of Warner studios. Here’s that story http://www.indiewire.com/article/disney_stops... "

Not very liberal there. And this:

"Here’s Disney at it again, trying to block the release of a made-for-TV miniseries on 911. http://www.wilshireandwashington.com/2008/03/... : The only thing that passed for drama on Thursday at the Walt Disney Co.’s annual shareholders meeting in Albuquerque, N.M. was a question raised about Disney’s decision not to release the controversial 2006 ABC miniseries “Path to 9/11” on DVD.”

The show was very critical of Bush, and Disney didn't like it. Once again, hardly the molotov cocktail throwing liberals that they're portrayed to be.

Ask yourself this : if the media is liberal, why are they always telling you that it is liberal? That's the message that you hear and are repeating. That's what conservatives say.

Since: Jun 11

Arlington, TX

#11759 Jul 6, 2011
mike_lee wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe your definition of god is too narrow. Many believe were all gods.
The Mormons believe this but they also wear magic underpants that protect them from Satan.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 min ChristineM 226,506
Our world came from nothing? 17 min Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 22 min Patrick 13
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 40 min Dak-Original 21,516
The myth of the angry atheist 2 hr Thinking 2
The Ultimate Evidence of God 2 hr Thinking 67
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••