Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Apr 30, 2011 Full story: www.washingtonpost.com 38,673

Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists.

Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#4191 May 22, 2011
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
This is why I suspect you atheists are being nothing more than bigoted against Christians, not simply non-religious. You seldom mention Buddhism or Hinduism or attack their scriptures. What this is really about is bigotry and hatred against Christians
Call the waaaaahhhhhhmbulance.
Mike Duquette wrote:
I am sure next week you will say I never condemned the Muslims for anything. So I guess I just wasted my time.
True dat. They just like to play the part of the oppressed victim, which is rich coming from the people who codified genocide, slavery, misogyny and the like.

I suggest giving these claims the short shrift and disrespect they deserve. Christians can talk about their own form disease. If any care to, I'll discuss Islam with Muslims, not Christians.

Fennario

#4192 May 22, 2011
cpeter1313 wrote:
Lesbians will be quite surprise to find fellatio to be a sacrament.
Fellacious reasoning.

Fennario

#4193 May 22, 2011
cpeter1313 wrote:
Everyone defies love for themself.
Typo of the day.
Curtis Lowe

San Antonio, TX

#4194 May 22, 2011
Why do Americans dislike atheists? Two words...elbow stink.

Fennario

#4195 May 22, 2011
wolverine wrote:
Seems Topix Is Now Attempting To Suffocate Free Speech. I Was Reported And Warned.
This is The America You Deserve. My Time Is Wasted On Defending Myself And Others From The Verbal Attacks Of The Flaming Left, That Go Unreported Or Warned.
I see. For you, it's free speech being suffocated. From us, they're verbal attacks that need defending.

There's a reason why YOU were censored, and it's not Satan. How about you guys stepping up and accepting some responsibility for your own actions every once in a while instead of blaming everybody else like libs, atheists, Bigfoot, illegals, gays - whatever you hate?

Fennario

#4196 May 22, 2011
Never Trust Politrickians wrote:
So, if the law is not fun you say poo poo on it?
In a sense, yes.

American law has no moral authority any longer. The reasons to obey it are the practical ones only, not the philosophical one. The practical reasons to not run a red light are things like death, tickets, and social scorn.

But there's also a more important moral reason to obey the law of any land, even when there are no direct adverse consequences from breaking it, like an accident.

If it is fair and evenly applied, we obey the law because it is the right thing to do. We obey the law because we want to, assuming it is not egregiously immoral. We obey the law because of a social contract, a handshake, a desire to be fair and honest.

That reason is gone. If presidents and their entourages, for example, are above the law, fcuk that law. I don't respect that law, and I will obey it only when it suits me. The social contract is void.

When laws are written to protect profits at the expense of people - laws like the illicit drug laws, or the one that prevents Medicare from shopping for the best drug prices for its beneficiaries - I say fcuk 'em.

Perhaps some don't approve. Sorry. If you start shit-canning equality under the law, egalitarianism, and the like, you can throw it all out as far as I'm concerned.

Fennario

#4197 May 22, 2011
New Madrid Quake wrote:
you are going straight to hell after you are dead to burn constantly for your ignorance and defiance. you stupid moron.
This is the peace that passeth all understanding. This is Jesus speaking through this vessel. Praise him.

Yesterday was a great day for atheism. News broadcasts all day reported on the failure of your religion yet again. Every few weeks, it's another kick in Jesus' nads, isn't it?

The fear of hell is for the low lying fruit.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4198 May 22, 2011
Ticked wrote:
I don't have a problem with atheists in general, to each his own. Believe what you want. The one thing I don't like is to be called stupid because of my beliefs.
People who believe in God are stupid. If you don't like being called what you are maybe you should have a think about what you are.

Fennario

#4199 May 22, 2011
Never Trust Politrickians wrote:
Even your pals the muslims claim the jesus was real and one of their prophets to boot.
Why would that matter? Muslim, Christian - what's the difference besides a came and a prayer cloth?

Fennario

#4200 May 22, 2011
"besides a came"

should read

"besides a CAMEL"

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4201 May 22, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about a cult, but I can argue that atheism is a religion.
Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color.
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
If a religion is a practice surrounding a person's beliefs in God, then any practice surrounding a lack of belief in God could arguably be a religion. A lack of belief is still a belief when you boil it down.
Atheism is a lack of belief in god. A lack of belief is not the same as a belief. A belief is a positive statement of affirmation. Since atheism contains no postive affirmations, it does not constitute a "position".

Just because I don't like chocolate, doesn't make me a certain type of chocolate-lover, or a member of the chocolate board or the chocolate confederate. Do you understand?
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you could be one of the first to start an atheist church.
Its called reality. Its a massive church. It's so big that religions actually build churches inside it!
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
After you register it with the government, it would be a non-prophet [sic] organization.
haha! Good joke. but the way it works is that Atheism is the norm. We're the ones that let you build churches and other similarily meaningless cult buildings.

Fennario

#4203 May 22, 2011
Educated What wrote:
I am catholic and I don't care what you believe because I believe in freedom of choice.
You're pro-choice? Or did you just post that anyway because it sounds good, and not really meaning it?

Fennario

#4204 May 22, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
Setting up yourself as an authority to call other people's beliefs delusions is one of the character flaws atheists have that cause Christians to hate them.
Sorry you feel that way, but somebody has to be the grown-up. Somebody has to keep a level head and call a spade a spade while you people count angels and pinheads. Call it tough love.

By the way, the world didn't end yesterday. That was yet another Christian delusion. Imagine what would have happened yesterday if there were only Christians around.

Location hidden

#4205 May 22, 2011
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
None of us atheists has anything good to say about Islam, for example. You don't need to justify yourself by pointing out to some whiny Christian that you do criticize it from time to time. How you or I deal with Mulsims is of no legitimate concern to the Christians.
Why say anything at all? When I see a retard I don't go tell him he's retarded, he is he, I am me.

Do you believe in vampires? How much time do you spend talking about them?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#4206 May 22, 2011
<quoted text>
This is the peace that passeth all understanding. This is Jesus speaking through this vessel. Praise him.
Yesterday was a great day for atheism. News broadcasts all day reported on the failure of your religion yet again. Every few weeks, it's another kick in Jesus' nads, isn't it?
The fear of hell is for the low lying fruit.
Well said!

Yesterday was indeed a great day to be a non-believer.

2000 years of false apocalypses and apologetics.

Jesus would be proud to see his misinformation is still actually believed by so many.

Location hidden

#4207 May 22, 2011
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
People who believe in God are stupid. If you don't like being called what you are maybe you should have a think about what you are.
We are all gods, we create, we heal, we inspire. Say what you really mean Christians are stupid. But obviously stupid isn't limited to Christians. You, for example, are staggeringly stupid even by Topix standards.

Embrace your bigotry, revel in your logical fallacies,this is Topix.

(PS my previous comment refereed to a health related retard. Self made retards should be mocked at every opportunity)

Bigot: One obsessed with his own rigid belief system and intolerant to toward those of differing beliefs.

Since: Feb 07

Johnson City, TN

#4208 May 22, 2011
mike_lee wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that mean? Neither were atheist. You have to be converted to atheism or else your just some guy who does't go church.
There was a time Lincoln didn't believe in God but no mention of him being an atheist
They were both atheist and aunicornist. You don't have to be "converted" to not believing in an imaginary friends or unicorns.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#4209 May 22, 2011
<quoted text>
I see. For you, it's free speech being suffocated. From us, they're verbal attacks that need defending.
There's a reason why YOU were censored, and it's not Satan. How about you guys stepping up and accepting some responsibility for your own actions every once in a while instead of blaming everybody else like libs, atheists, Bigfoot, illegals, gays - whatever you hate?
Yeah Doc....And The Liberal Mods Never See The Atheists Attacking And Blaspheming.....What A Country Of Idiots.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#4210 May 22, 2011
mike_lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Why say anything at all? When I see a retard I don't go tell him he's retarded, he is he, I am me.
Do you believe in vampires? How much time do you spend talking about them?
How many people around me seriously believe in vampires? If it was a majority, I might well spend a lot of time talking about the non-existence of vampires.

“meooooow”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#4211 May 22, 2011
New Madrid Quake wrote:
<quoted text>
you are a pitiful idiot releasing your pitiful excuses. you are going straight to hell after you are dead to burn constantly for your ignorance and defiance. you stupid moron.
Who are you to tell someone they are going straight to hell? The words translated into hell in English, meant the grave in the original languages. Human bodies cannot burn forever, and spirits can't burn at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 25 min ChristineM 229,976
Islam for peace, or violence? 37 min Larry 28
Our world came from nothing? 52 min Larry 1,034
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Chiclets 22,987
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 14 hr Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. 14 hr Thinking 87
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE