Morley, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Just wondering, because I am a woman and although there are many women who are atheists, I still feel like the category is made up overwhelmingly of men. I wonder why more women are reluctant to come out? Am I just seeing things from a skewed point of view?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2013

Judged:

Qurious wrote:
Just wondering, because I am a woman and although there are many women who are atheists, I still feel like the category is made up overwhelmingly of men. I wonder why more women are reluctant to come out? Am I just seeing things from a skewed point of view?
No, you are not seeing things--- there has been much discussion about this phenomena here and elsewhere on the 'net.

Many hypotheses have been suggested-- none have yet to be shown to answer the question.

It can be a bit distressing for atheist men, who refuse to start a relationship with theist women.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2013

Judged:

Qurious wrote:
Am I just seeing things from a skewed point of view?
No, you are right. I think there are plenty of atheist women (I am married to one) but those who like to voice atheist opinions on the internet are generally male.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2013

Judged:

My wife is an atheist, but is not so interested in atheist discussions. Instead of the philosophical discussions that are common on the atheist threads, she prefers the political discussions on other threads (although she also has a low tolerance for idiots and has been off topix for a while).
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
.. she also has a low tolerance for idiots and has been off topix for a while
Can you blame her? There are too many trolls and nutjobs (religious and other) on the internet.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2013

Female

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2013

I am also female, and I have wondered many times how many females were actually on this forum.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2013

Male although there are times my wife has other names for me.

My wife is pagan, which drives so nuts more so than me being atheist.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2013

Sorry dropped some letters should have been "which drives some nuts more so than me being atheist".

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2013

Judged:

Very Cynical Person wrote:
Male although there are times my wife has other names for me.
My wife is pagan, which drives so nuts more so than me being atheist.
I've known a few pagans over the years.

For the most part? Quite reasonable people, although some are caught up in the idiocy that is homeopathy,(or as I call it-- purified water cult). Others, advocate the silliness that is crystals or "chacra alignment" whatever that may mean.

Harmless, for the most part (except for the homeopathy, which is dangerous in that folk are not taking real medicine when they ought to).

At the very least, I've never heard of a pagan trying to get idiotic and bigoted **laws** passed based on their religion!

That's worth a great deal, to me.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I've known a few pagans over the years.
For the most part? Quite reasonable people, although some are caught up in the idiocy that is homeopathy,(or as I call it-- purified water cult). Others, advocate the silliness that is crystals or "chacra alignment" whatever that may mean.
Harmless, for the most part (except for the homeopathy, which is dangerous in that folk are not taking real medicine when they ought to).
At the very least, I've never heard of a pagan trying to get idiotic and bigoted **laws** passed based on their religion!
That's worth a great deal, to me.
For her and her fellow pagans it pretty much is if there is a god it is nature. Nature can be seen, felt, heard, and studied.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Are any Atheists here married to a full on Christian?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Judged:

spudgun wrote:
Are any Atheists here married to a full on Christian?
I guess I need to ask you what you mean by "full on Christian".

I was married to a Christian, but she wasn't...hmmm.."a holy roller", fundamentalist etc...

She wasn't real aggressive in her Christian beliefs, but, I could tell she was a bit unnerved with some comments I'd make concerning theism, "deities" and such.

It used to irritate her when we'd go to a family reunion or some similar function and I'd tell her about all the people who didn't bow their heads when a prayer was said.

I remember one time when she asked "what happened when you guys made eye contact?"

I replied, "I just winked at them and smiled really big".

For some reason she thought that was a horrific thing to do.

hahahaa

“And I won't watch this anymore”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Male. Gender really doesn't matter online, like you said, Bob. It's what we say that counts.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

<quoted text>
For her and her fellow pagans it pretty much is if there is a god it is nature. Nature can be seen, felt, heard, and studied.
I can easily understand that sentiment-- if a person **must** have a god, picking one that is demonstratively real (i.e nature or even the sun) makes at least modest sense.

:)

My response to this seemingly human need? Is to choose from among the plethora of offerings, the best-fit god for my views.

It was modestly difficult-- on one hand, Thor carries this really cool hammer and flings lightning. Impressive.

But in the final analysis, I chose The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Since they are all fictional extensions of the human psyche?(even the nature ones)

May as well select a god that you can **respect**.

And I think beer volcanoes is worthy of respect, so...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Judged:

Lelouch0 wrote:
Male. Gender really doesn't matter online, like you said, Bob. It's what we say that counts.
Indeed it **is** what we write/say that count.

In fact? Online-- that is **all** that counts, as there is nothing else.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I can easily understand that sentiment-- if a person **must** have a god, picking one that is demonstratively real (i.e nature or even the sun) makes at least modest sense.
My response to this seemingly human need? Is to choose from among the plethora of offerings, the best-fit god for my views.
It was modestly difficult-- on one hand, Thor carries this really cool hammer and flings lightning. Impressive.
But in the final analysis, I chose The Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Since they are all fictional extensions of the human psyche?(even the nature ones)
May as well select a god that you can **respect**.
And I think beer volcanoes is worthy of respect, so...
I vote beer as god.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>I vote beer as god.
Beer works-- we would not be here, in a civilized society, were it not for beer.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••