How atheists became the most colossally smug and annoying people on the planet

Aug 26, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Free Republic

When did atheists become so teeth-gratingly annoying? Surely non-believers in God weren't always the colossal pains in the collective backside that they are today? Surely there was a time when you could say to someone "I am an atheist" without them instantly assuming you were a smug, self-righteous loather of dumb hicks given to making ... (more)

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Aug 30, 2013

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

I agree with this statement
"Do you want to know why Atheism has become so "smug" and all that? It's because the fundamental Christians in the U.S. have gotten so in-your-face about their religion and their hatred of all non-Christian (and some alternative-Christian) faiths that die-hard atheists are forced to take up arms.

There's also the fact a lot of these people (atheists, that is) are in fact reformed Christians who LIVED through the hypocrisies of Christianity. I've seen the same thing in the pagan community with the former-Christians-turned-pagan being quite anti-Christian at time.

So if you want Atheists to be less smug and in-your-face, perhaps Christians should step off of their high horses and start treating people of ALL religious, faiths, beliefs, and non-belief with respect and decency."

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

As opposed to those who think that God chose one group of people, on one planet, in one coroner of the milky way which is just one galaxy out of many. Think about how many other planets in the cosmos have civilization and God only picked one!!
Yes that is way more meek...
Amused

Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

More Freeper whiny nonsense. Although that may be a triple redundancy. The basic complaint is "Why can't atheists be quiet in their little closets? It hurts our sensitive feelings when they ask embarrassing questions about proof and evidence."

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Amused wrote:
More Freeper whiny nonsense. Although that may be a triple redundancy. The basic complaint is "Why can't atheists be quiet in their little closets? It hurts our sensitive feelings when they ask embarrassing questions about proof and evidence."
They want the ability to preach while forcing us to stay quiet.
Amused

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Benjamin Frankly wrote:
As opposed to those who think that God chose one group of people, on one planet, in one coroner of the milky way which is just one galaxy out of many. Think about how many other planets in the cosmos have civilization and God only picked one!!
Yes that is way more meek...
And, he cares deeply about what you do every day, especially what you do while naked. It's like being an ant in his own personal ant farm.
Crolath

Bella Vista, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

I think that a christian who was in a room full of people and discovered that 80 percent of those people worshiped and adored an all-powerful wish-granting purple tooth fairy, they would be pretty smug about thinking that those people were complete idiots.

Never mind that the person calling atheists smug is likely someone who believes that they have a deep personal relationship with the creator of the universe.

Anyhow, I am smug, I admit it.

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Exactly. They are hypocrites. They are okay with irrationality when it comes to their beliefs but not others.
Crolath wrote:
I think that a christian who was in a room full of people and discovered that 80 percent of those people worshiped and adored an all-powerful wish-granting purple tooth fairy, they would be pretty smug about thinking that those people were complete idiots.
Never mind that the person calling atheists smug is likely someone who believes that they have a deep personal relationship with the creator of the universe.
Anyhow, I am smug, I admit it.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Smug? Listen to them whine!

These are the last gasps of dying out religions, that used to flaunt their religious preferential treatment, which is now increasingly being denied to them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Dave Nelson 226,161
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 11 min _Bad Company 34
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 1 hr religionislies 25
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 1 hr religionislies 8
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr DonPanic 21,491
100% Faith Free 5 hr religionislies 7
Our world came from nothing? 8 hr NightSerf 395
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••