Sam Harris, the New Atheists, and ant...

Sam Harris, the New Atheists, and anti-Muslim animus | Glenn Greenwald

There are 10 comments on the The Guardian story from Apr 3, 2013, titled Sam Harris, the New Atheists, and anti-Muslim animus | Glenn Greenwald. In it, The Guardian reports that:

A long overdue debate breaks out about whether rational atheism is being used as a cover for Islamophobia and US militarism Sam Harris: "We should profile Muslims, or anyone who looks like he or she could conceivably be Muslim" Photograph: David Levene for the Guardian Two columns have been published in the past week harshly criticizing the ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Guardian.

Essex, MA

#1 Apr 3, 2013
Harris and Hitchens have a valid point. The percentage of muslims who are extremists to the point of either participating in or advocating violence is much higher than the percentage of extremist christians. And, whereas in the US, and most of the West, religion and government are kept separate, Islamists have created nations where religion and the power of the state are fused, and they have the undisguised ambition to create more such states.

Wedding the power of the state to an atavistic religion like islam, with its relentless misogyny, insanely brutal criminal laws and compulsive intolerance for non-believers makes islam and the states it controls uniquely dangerous.

No doubt, there are fundamentalist christians who would love to create such theocracies. Their desires, however, remain just fantasies. If and when such christian theocracies emerge, they will need to be viewed with similar alarm. Right now, though, there are real threats, not merely theoretical ones to be concerned with.

Seaside, CA

#2 Apr 3, 2013
There are a billion muslims.

Most terrorist attacks since 9/11 in this country have been abortion bombings and murders, plus Nidal Hassan, plus that white man who flew into the IRS. Hardly "much higher".

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Leicester, UK

#3 Apr 4, 2013
The thing about Islamophobia is that those of us who we would usely say have it like the EDL, BNP, republics and many other raceist groups, is that they are almost always Christian which has many of the evils Islam, and use the defence “Islam is not a race” then at the same time say “let’s stop the Arabs coming in”.
It is not the new athists getting in bed with raceists it's raceists trying to get in bed with athists, and so long as most of these raceists are Christian they will fail.

Hamilton, UK

#4 Apr 4, 2013
I think one problem is 'labels'. Some usages of racist, New Atheist, Islamophobes, etc, might suggest division, mutual suspicion or fear amongst otherwise rational people.

And there's the misunderstanding, quote: "when a white westerner becomes fixated on attacking their religion and advocating violence and aggression against them, as Harris has done,.." What 'fixation'? What 'attack'? Islamism isn't in the interests of anybody, Muslim or otherwise and criticism is healthy, not just fixation or attack.

There are many valid criticisms of Islam. Muslims should stop having their tribal fears of westerners just as we should stop fearing Muslims or Islam in general. The important thing is for people of good-will to stand together and not allow room for extremism. Divisions are exactly what the extremists need,(esp along Islam/Western tribal lines).

Hamilton, UK

#5 Apr 4, 2013
In this quote from the article the author reveals his own prejudices and error: "Right: can you believe those primitive, irrational Muslims get angry when their countries are invaded, bombed and occupied and have dictators imposed on them rather than exuding gratitude toward the superior civilized people who do all that.."
Muslims must take some responsibility for the state of their societies and countries and stop blaming the West and Western policies. Nobody in the west is saying we're superior and Harris hasn't called for violence. The author appears to just makes stuff up .

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#6 Apr 10, 2013
Muslim extremism is on the rise.
Sheik Yerbouti

Southampton, PA

#7 Apr 14, 2013
muslims refuse to assimilate and adopt our far superior western culture, values and civilization. They are as bad as fundamentalist Christians!

Leicester, UK

#8 Apr 15, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
Muslim extremism is on the rise.
All forms of extremism is on the rise

Ilminster, UK

#9 Apr 15, 2013
As are crimes we know nothing about?
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
All forms of extremism is on the rise

Leicester, UK

#10 Apr 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
As are crimes we know nothing about?
<quoted text>
I hope I didn't say anything that may imply that so I'll be more clear.
What I mean is the dumb beliefs both political and religious are getting dumber and louder, they are also more active. Take the bill in North Carolina that the republicans trying to pass, I think it has been a long time since anyone has tryed something like this.
I fear it's going to be one of those years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 min Demon Finder 22,255
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min scientia potentia... 46,517
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Richardfs 10,964
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Richardfs 21,708
News Proof of God Within & Beyond Science is Released 2 hr Richardfs 16
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 257,390
News .com | Not buying into nonsense rhetoric about ... (Mar '16) 8 hr hpcaban 56
More from around the web