Respecting belief: why should you? And why shouldn't you?

May 21, 2014 Full story: News24 21

How closely do your views align with those of the party you are voting for? Try our quiz - the results may shock you.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#1 May 24, 2014
"Respecting belief"?

The ONLY respect that religious bullshit deserves is the RIGHT TO HAVE IT, and the religitards are already getting that. NO ONE is trying to prevent them from having religion.

The religitards fail to grasp two key things:

(1) Until they prove their "god" exists, they cannot claim their religious feelings are offended. Their beliefs are no more privileged than a Harry Potter or Star Wars fan's "feelings" when I insult those things.

(2) Laws that keep government secular DO NOT prevent private religious practices, in the exact same way that laws against rape do not prevent people from having sex in their homes. Secular laws and anti-rape laws do the same thing: they prevent predators from violating the security of people who don't want to participate in their activities.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2 May 25, 2014
"We must respect the other fellow's religion in the same way, and to the same extent that we must respect his opinion that his wife is beautiful or his children smart." HL Mencken
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#3 May 29, 2014
I agree with PS and A's comments above.

Belief is a matter of degree and I think one should only believe anything to the degree the belief is justified by reason and evidence.

At least religion is funny..

Jack

Houston, TX

#4 May 30, 2014
First of all, everybody believes in some god. If you don't believe in the supreme omnipotent other-worldly God, Goddess or Gods, then you either:(a) believe that nature is god (in the sense that nature and the laws of the physical universe determines what comes into being, how it grows and matures, and when it dies), or (b) you believe that humans are gods (in the sense that humans are the highest intelligence that exists in the universe and ultimately control their own destiny).

In terms of respecting religious beliefs (the beliefs themselves, not the hypocrites who claim to practice them), I think the best test is this:

"Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary. Then ask yourself alone, one question ... Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't it is of no use.”- Carlos Castaneda
Amused

Lowell, MA

#5 May 30, 2014
Simply put, "No."

Not everyone "believes in some god". That cliche is simply the result of theists being unable to comprehend the fact that people might think differently from them.

You define 'god' in ways far outside the normal concept of 'god' in order to try to make nature or humans into someone's idea of 'god'. In normal terms, the idea of a 'god' includes a sentient being or intelligence, to which qualities of benevolence, omniscience and omnipotence are generally attributed. In polytheistic religions, different gods are often assigned different characteristics, but usually in polytheistic religions, among the pantheon of gods, all the characteristics are generally covered. Every theistic religion also seems to attribute creation to 'god', so perhaps we need to add 'creator' to the list of attributes that are generally attributed to a 'god'.

Neither of your proposed alternate gods fits the bill. Nature, or the laws of nature, are not a god. They are the result of the inherent characteristics of matter and energy and the interplay between those characteristics. The planets of our solar system orbit the sun. The distance each planet is from the sun at any given point is a result of the interplay between the gravitational pull of the sun, a function of its mass, and the centrifugal force which is a function of the planet's mass and speed. The fact that mass and energy operate in predictable ways does not make those predictable ways 'god'. Nature is not a sentient being, and does not possess omniscience, benevolence or omnipotence. So,'nature' fails the god test.

Humans are recent occupants of one small planet which orbits one unremarkable star in a galaxy of billions of stars. That galaxy, in turn, is one of billions. Humans are not omniscient. If we knew everything, we would not be having this discussion. Humans are not omnipotent. We have no power at all over all but the most minute portion of the universe. We don't seem to be doing so well with the benevolence thing, either.

Humans are not the creator. The universe is far older than our species.

Humans fail the god test. We achieve perfection only in that we score a perfect zero on that test.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#6 May 31, 2014
Jack wrote:
First of all, everybody believes in some god.
You're a clueless dumbfvck. There's more truth in saying "All christians are pedophiles" than your stupid statement.
Thinking

Iver, UK

#7 Jun 6, 2014
Straw man.
Jack wrote:
First of all, everybody believes in some god. If you don't believe in the supreme omnipotent other-worldly God, Goddess or Gods, then you either:(a) believe that nature is god (in the sense that nature and the laws of the physical universe determines what comes into being, how it grows and matures, and when it dies), or (b) you believe that humans are gods (in the sense that humans are the highest intelligence that exists in the universe and ultimately control their own destiny).
In terms of respecting religious beliefs (the beliefs themselves, not the hypocrites who claim to practice them), I think the best test is this:
"Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary. Then ask yourself alone, one question ... Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't it is of no use.”- Carlos Castaneda
Thinking

Iver, UK

#8 Jun 6, 2014
Looks like someone wants to call the scientific method god so we can be tainted too.
P_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a clueless dumbfvck. There's more truth in saying "All christians are pedophiles" than your stupid statement.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#9 Jun 6, 2014
Jack wrote:
Did everybody elect you as spokesman? You do speak for everybody, right? I just happen to be part of "everybody" and I do not remember that particular selection process. Is my memory failing me?
Thinking

Iver, UK

#10 Jun 6, 2014
No matter how often socktards like Jack vote for themselves, non belief is on the increase.
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Did everybody elect you as spokesman? You do speak for everybody, right? I just happen to be part of "everybody" and I do not remember that particular selection process. Is my memory failing me?
Ken Ra

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Jun 6, 2014
In so much as a persons belief or non-belief makes for a better world they deserve respect or at least noninterference. Belief is relevant to the person their Actions are relevant to us. A better World trumps the nobility or debasement of their feelings.

PS I am a Legally recognized Wiccan Priest.
Thinking

Iver, UK

#12 Jun 6, 2014
Not if their actions endanger the human rights of others.

I have no issues with you holding your beliefs if the above is respected.
Ken Ra wrote:
In so much as a persons belief or non-belief makes for a better world they deserve respect or at least noninterference. Belief is relevant to the person their Actions are relevant to us. A better World trumps the nobility or debasement of their feelings.
Richardfs

Saint Marys, Australia

#13 Jun 7, 2014
Jack wrote:
First of all, everybody believes in some god......
No.
Patrick

United States

#14 Sep 19, 2014
Ken Ra wrote:
Fascinating post...
Life is a Mystery
True Christian witness

Bartlesville, OK

#15 Sep 20, 2014
The word respect, deserves more attention here, the correct word should be tolerate.

Religion that promotes peace and love for their fellowmen, and teaches families to work together as a loving unit, should be respected.

Life is only a mystery, if you do not understand the Bible.
To understand your Bible, the only truth, and if you want to be happy, ask Jehovah's witnesses to teach you, your Bible. Only costs a few minutes of your time, then you can decide if you want to live in God's new world of paradise, forever.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#16 Sep 20, 2014
"The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life." ~Sigmund Freud

"God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos; He will set them above their betters." ~H.L.

Blasphemy is a victimless crime.

“The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn’t mean that God doesn’t love heterosexuals. It’s just that they need more supervision.”~ Lynn Lavner
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#17 Sep 20, 2014
True Christian witness wrote:
The word respect, deserves more attention here, the correct word should be tolerate.
Religion that promotes peace and love for their fellowmen, and teaches families to work together as a loving unit, should be respected.
Life is only a mystery, if you do not understand the Bible.
To understand your Bible, the only truth, and if you want to be happy, ask Jehovah's witnesses to teach you, your Bible. Only costs a few minutes of your time, then you can decide if you want to live in God's new world of paradise, forever.
If you understand evolution... life is not a mystery.

It is a fascinating journey that we enjoy in our portion of a vast, ever-expanding universe.

No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means.~George Bernard Shaw
religionislies

London, UK

#18 Sep 20, 2014
True Christian witness wrote:
then you can decide if you want to live in God's new world of paradise, forever.
We've decided not to live in your fantasy. But will you respect this decision??
religionislies

London, UK

#19 Sep 20, 2014
Ken Ra wrote:
Why do you lie to strangers about a god you know 100% you have no evidence for?
True Christian witness

Bartlesville, OK

#20 Sep 20, 2014
religionislies wrote:
<quoted text>
We've decided not to live in your fantasy. But will you respect this decision??
Truth is never fantasy, and I do respect your right to believe whatever you choose, even if it is not truth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min New Age Spiritual... 234,683
why? 29 min Thinking 54
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 29 min Thinking 1,500
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 30 min Thinking 1,258
The Consequences of Atheism 1 hr Thinking 83
.com | Challenging Atheism - Rebuttal 2 hr geezerjock 1
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr dirtclod 14,696
Christianity Created Hitler 3 hr Uncle Sam 218
More from around the web