• Lack self awareness
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Jul 16, 2013

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#1 Jul 13, 2013
I think it is all the above.

I would really like to know why religion has such hate and harbors such intolerance for anyone that does not believe as they do.

These forums have shown that the religious have no regard for humanity or others when it comes to their belief system. Most (not all) religious here have been very evil in their thoughts and words, to the point of insanity. I known it is because of the disconnect via the key board, but are they like that in real life and with others in people?

I feel sorry for the religious that they cannot find contentment and happiness in their life without a god or gods to believe in.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2 Jul 14, 2013
I have often wondered if these people act this way away from there computer as well. I know I've got many christian friends and they are never this rude, and hateful.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3 Jul 14, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
I have often wondered if these people act this way away from there computer as well. I know I've got many christian friends and they are never this rude, and hateful.
Its a mental illness. There will be treatments for it in the future.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4 Jul 14, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
I really hope so.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5 Jul 16, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a pretty effective treatment even now: quality education which includes histories of various human cultures over time.

Once a person is exposed to cultures other that his/her own? They begin to realize just how untenable a faith-based outlook really is.

:)
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6 Jul 16, 2013
Very Cynical Person wrote:
I would really like to know why religion has such hate and harbors such intolerance for anyone that does not believe as they do...
I thought it was Atheists who were supposed to hate... until I became one. I imagined being an Atheist would entail walking around like a Sith Lord in black robes with yellow eyes, saying "You underestimate my power!"

As it turns out being an Atheist is exactly the same as being a Christian but without an imaginary friend.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#7 Jul 16, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought it was Atheists who were supposed to hate... until I became one. I imagined being an Atheist would entail walking around like a Sith Lord in black robes with yellow eyes, saying "You underestimate my power!"
As it turns out being an Atheist is exactly the same as being a Christian but without an imaginary friend.
And 50% less guilt.

It helps when you remove 100% of the artificial false guilt.

We humans create more than sufficient guilt for ourselves without having to create a false measure.
Amused

Oxford, MA

#8 Jul 16, 2013
It is inherent in the nature of religion. Religion is a tribal, "us against them" identity. Both christinas and muslims are taught that they hold the exclusive path to paradise. Jews are taught that they are the 'chosen people'. In all cases, without a 'them', there is no 'us'. If one religion were universal, they'd have to invent some other reason why some people are special and therefore distinct from the rest of humanity.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#9 Jul 16, 2013
Amused wrote:
It is inherent in the nature of religion. Religion is a tribal, "us against them" identity. Both christinas and muslims are taught that they hold the exclusive path to paradise. Jews are taught that they are the 'chosen people'. In all cases, without a 'them', there is no 'us'. If one religion were universal, they'd have to invent some other reason why some people are special and therefore distinct from the rest of humanity.
Indeed they would: all religion thrives on hate.

The "us" versus "them" mentality you spoke of.

Without the engine of hate driving it? Soon, it fades away...

.... example-- have you run across any Druids lately?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 21 min atheism is destru... 226,243
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr CunningLinguist 21,498
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 3 hr Patrick 10
100% Faith Free 3 hr Patrick 8
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 3 hr Patrick 26
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 5 hr Patrick 10
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 9 hr USN Atheist 39
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••