Atheism: The Born Identity

Jul 2, 2013 Read more: News24

Awarded after your first article is published on MyNews24. You've got nine more to go to reach the next level! Yesterday I did a small experiment at college; it was nothing too academic but more on the lines of exposing my own personal identity.

Read more

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

#1 Jul 2, 2013
A short time ago in post 35 in this thread ( http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... ) I complained that most of the stuff linked on this site is awful and I asked "now can we have something of intellectual merit on this site that is worth reading as a masterpiece. I know 99% of everything is C*** but where is that majestic 1%?"

I know it may just be because I have just read one of the worst articles in my life, but I think this is the 1% I have been looking for.
This made me ask what if we had a big experiment, were we did something like this but out in public areas and had the participants make a log of peoples reaction, what would the results be?

The fact that this came from News24 puts the hope I have that this site will get better back in me.

“I'm out hunting”

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#2 Jul 2, 2013
There is a lot of intolerance from the religious crowd.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3 Jul 3, 2013
Quote, "So when I walked around with my head up high yesterday my goal was to get other atheist thinking that no, they weren’t alone and that they are just as entitled to their true identity as any Christian or Muslim was."
Non-believers in the USA make the same mistakes that believers do.

There need be no assumption of shame or embarrassment in non-belief. Athiesm needn't be a belief, nor an identity. It is just a reasonable opinion.

Wearing a T-shirt may be making a statement, but that should be considered okay. As the writer said, people think nothing of wearing a cross or head-scarf advertising their superstitions. Wearing an anti-nuclear T-shirt is a statement too. Such statements should be seen as natural in a secular society, not provocative. No need to waste valuable class-time discussing them.

I wore a humanist T-shirt at the local church hall. It was remarked on - "What would the minister say if he walked in?" asked one church-goer. "Probably laugh" said another. And that was about it. That is the way it should be. There's no stigma in not being superstitious and being perfectly frank about it. The problem in the USA seems to be that people take 'beliefs' too seriously.

I don't confront church-goers by the way, either in their church hall or any inappropriate place or manner. I never mention religion or atheism unless it is raised. If I happen to be wearing an atheist T-shirt, I have more respect for people than to think they cannot cope with my holding a different view,(or for people compelled to think in a religious way 'a different belief'). I don't think it helps to assume it must cause trouble or offence.

I'm tempted to think I'm lucky to live in a more enlightened country than the USA, or a more tolerant local society.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 14 min thetruth 7,398
News Atheists open up: What they want you to know 16 min thetruth 16
News The Consequences of Atheism 23 min thetruth 1,257
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 29 min thetruth 14,552
News Confessions of a black atheist 31 min Tinka 309
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 33 min thetruth 237,691
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 35 min thetruth 147
More from around the web