Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

I don't ask this to troll or cause tension. I'm seriously asking.

So many individuals I know say that America is a "Christian nation," and that we must follow the Bible in order to have God's blessings. So many say that the quote of America is either "In God we trust" or "God Bless America," and many people think that God would care about whether or not America accepts or declines certain concepts.

However, from what one can gather from the Bible, America should be completely indifferent to "God." If the Bible is correct, the true state of god would be Israel, and the people scattered away from Israel would be less and less of what God approves of.

What exactly makes people think that "God" would care about America more than any other nation, and what would make people think that God "blessed" America to the point where America supposedly needs to be called a "Christian Nation?"

Let me know what you think of this question.
crzzzd

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

youtube.com/watch...
God is dead doesnt exist who knows when blessed a thing?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

March 4, 1789 - secular U.S. government established.

June 7, 1797 -“The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion”~ unanimously approved by the Senate and signed by President John Adams

1863 - President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of Thanksgiving

1870 - Christmas was declared a federal holiday by Congress

1881 - Chester A. Arthur swearing in ceremony is the first documented response of "so help me god" (not a part of the official oath of office).

1890 - "The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation." ~ Elizabeth Cady Stanton

April 17, 1952 - President Harry S. Truman signed a bill proclaiming a National Day of Prayer must be declared by each following president at an appropriate date of his choice.(In 1988, the law was amended so that the National Day of Prayer would be held on the first Thursday of May.)

June 14, 1954 - "god" was added to the pledge, changing us from “one nation indivisible” into one nation divided by god.

July 30, 1956 - "god" was added as our national motto and officially put on our money (I guess it’s more convenient to worship money that way).

August 27, 1987 –“No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God.”~ George H. W. Bush

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

"If this is going to be a Christian Nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." ~ Steve Colbert

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Igor Trip 21,393
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 224,164
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Patrick 217
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 13 hr DonPanic 1,285
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 15 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 15 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu religionisillness 834
•••
•••