Ask an Atheist: Why Don't You Just Ca...

Ask an Atheist: Why Don't You Just Call Yourself an Agnostic?

There are 10 comments on the The Daily Nexus story from May 29, 2013, titled Ask an Atheist: Why Don't You Just Call Yourself an Agnostic?. In it, The Daily Nexus reports that:

When I engage in a philosophical or religious conversation with some of my peers, a common phrase reiterated is, "Oh, I'm not an atheist; I'm an agnostic." Though it may appear insignificant, this statement actually holds a lot of weight.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Nexus.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#1 May 29, 2013
"Agnostics" are fence sitting cowards too busy trying to placate the religious instead of debunking lies.

There are no "gods", and I say that in plural because abrahamic bullshit (jew, christian, muslim) is as much bullshit as Greek myths, Norse myths, hindu myths, etc.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#2 May 29, 2013
P_Smith wrote:
"Agnostics" are fence sitting cowards too busy trying to placate the religious instead of debunking lies.
There are no "gods", and I say that in plural because abrahamic bullshit (jew, christian, muslim) is as much bullshit as Greek myths, Norse myths, hindu myths, etc.
Thanks for being honest about what an "atheist" is, and conveniently doing so as a totalFuckingMoron.

You state as fact there are no gods.

Human knowledge cannot attain that fact.

This means you are omniscient. If you are omniscient, you cannot be human, so you must be a god.

Since you are a god, gods exist.

...or, on the other hand, you could just be a liar.

So which are you, PissSmith?

A god, or a common liar?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3 May 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for being honest about what an "atheist" is, and conveniently doing so as a totalFuckingMoron.
You state as fact there are no gods.
Human knowledge cannot attain that fact.
This means you are omniscient. If you are omniscient, you cannot be human, so you must be a god.
Since you are a god, gods exist.
...or, on the other hand, you could just be a liar.
So which are you, PissSmith?
A god, or a common liar?
Creationist liars need to start by proving that god is possible. Then they need to prove that god is real.

Anything before that is just plain old worthless religious lies.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#4 May 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist liars need to start by proving that god is possible. Then they need to prove that god is real.
After that, they must prove that their particular God is the true one, at the expense of all the others.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5 May 30, 2013
Because many of us are both.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#6 May 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Good point. They are separate questions.

Do you believe anything can be known beyond material phenomena?

Do you believe in the existence of gods?

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#7 May 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Exactly, atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive terms. One is just a more cautious response.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#8 May 30, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. They are separate questions.
Do you believe anything can be known beyond material phenomena?
Do you believe in the existence of gods?
I do not believe anything, and I dismiss any claims that present no evidence outright, as there is no sane reason to even pursue their validity until evidence is presented to be examined, and that includes all gods proposed by anyone.

Nothing outside of this universe can be known .... yet. Until we understand the very nature of the universe's existence, it's simply impossible, but should we learn the very nature of the universe, likely tied to the Higgs Boson, we may find a way to move beyond it with our scientific methods. Right now, that is all we have for understanding the universe that actually gives us any real answers. Unless something better can demonstrate reliable and beneficial results, science is all we have.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9 May 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
..Right now, that is all we have for understanding the universe that actually gives us any real answers. Unless something better can demonstrate reliable and beneficial results, science is all we have.
I think as well as facts from science we have philosophy / rational enquiry to give us answers and improved understanding.

I also think (maybe controversial for this forum) that we can understand our place in the universe better by being better connected to nature and showing compassion to all animals.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#10 May 30, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I think as well as facts from science we have philosophy / rational enquiry to give us answers and improved understanding.
I also think (maybe controversial for this forum) that we can understand our place in the universe better by being better connected to nature and showing compassion to all animals.
Not really, philosophy doesn't offer any real answers, but it does offer us more insightful questions to put to the scientific method. Compassion to animals is both ethical and necessary for our survival as a species, simply because we need nature to continue to be able to function without us or we will not survive, but we are always connected to nature, since we have been unable to break the laws of nature, everything we do is still natural.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 33 min replaytime 83,181
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 10 hr Science 2,576
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web