Asking David Niose: Is America really a "Christian nation"?

Aug 3, 2012 Full story: Washington Times 13

Perhaps the starkest of all testaments to this is America's diminishing religious identity and participation level.

Full Story
redneck

Myrtle Creek, OR

#1 Aug 3, 2012
We are a secular nation. Those that wish to divide us will call it a christian nation.
nOgOd

Rockford, IL

#2 Aug 3, 2012
"If you believe in judgement day I have to seriously question your judgement."

Bill Maher

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#3 Aug 3, 2012
Gret article have to hunt his book up on the app store :)

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#4 Aug 3, 2012
Niose believes that there is a vast secular coalition, and I wonder if he realizes how many nonbelievers are as nonpolitical as they are nonreligious. I've seen a few people try to use Topix as one of their tools to build (and presumably lead) such a coalition only to be roundly rebuffed in this forum.

Other than that, I agree with much of what he says and appreciate the way he articulates it. The article is a good read.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#5 Aug 3, 2012
Many of the US populace are finally waking up to reality. They're realizing that religion *doesn't* bring peace and proseperity except to the few who control it. They're realizing that the christian fundamentalists behave the exact same way as islamic fundamentalists. And often, worse.

“God=Registered Sex Offender!”

Since: Jul 12

Wylie, TX

#6 Aug 4, 2012
The question,“Is America a Christian nation?” is so silly that I’m over here busting a gut laughing at the ignorance of atheists. Our nation was founded on Godly Christian principles, like slavery and the Bible-based, righteous, genocide of red-skinned people who worshiped puny brown gods. Yahweh mandated the annihilation of all those who worship false gods and it’s only a matter of time before the lice-infested Mormons and all their pairs of magic underwear get theirs according to Deuteronomy 13:12-16,

“If you hear in one of your cities, which the LORD your God is giving you to dwell there, that certain worthless fellows have gone out among you and have drawn away the inhabitants of their city, saying,‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which you have not known, 14 then you shall inquire and make search and ask diligently. And behold, if it be true and certain that such an abomination has been done among you, 15 you shall surely put the inhabitants of that city to the sword, devoting it to destruction, all who are in it and its cattle, with the edge of the sword."

Some of you screwy atheists might not know this but our Pledge of Allegiance can be turned right quick into a glorious prayer to Jesus Christ! We are one nation, under God, and the Pledge of Allegiance allows Godly students to speak with their unsaved classmates about the Christian God whom this nation is under.

The correct way of pledging eternal servitude to our Christian nation, the Abrahamic God, His Son and the Pigeon is to have your hands folded in prayer, not over your heart, and before everyone gets ready to say the Pledge of Allegiance—shout,“Dear Lord Jesus…” and then continue with the rest of the group in unison,“I pledge allegiance to the flag…” This is a testimony that you are acknowledging the Pledge of Allegiance is a prayer. If people pause for any reason in the Pledge-- yell,“I feel a victory coming on! Yes, Jesus!” And be sure to end the Pledge with “A-men” as well.

Fighting for a TRUE Christian nation,

America’s Best Christian
redneck

Myrtle Creek, OR

#7 Aug 4, 2012
AmericasBestChristian wrote:
The question,“Is America a Christian nation?” is so silly that I’m over here busting a gut laughing at the ignorance of atheists. Our nation was founded on Godly Christian principles, like slavery and the Bible-based, righteous, genocide of red-skinned people who worshiped puny brown gods. Yahweh mandated the annihilation of all those who worship false gods and it’s only a matter of time before the lice-infested Mormons and all their pairs of magic underwear get theirs according to Deuteronomy 13:12-16,
“If you hear in one of your cities, which the LORD your God is giving you to dwell there, that certain worthless fellows have gone out among you and have drawn away the inhabitants of their city, saying,‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which you have not known, 14 then you shall inquire and make search and ask diligently. And behold, if it be true and certain that such an abomination has been done among you, 15 you shall surely put the inhabitants of that city to the sword, devoting it to destruction, all who are in it and its cattle, with the edge of the sword."
Some of you screwy atheists might not know this but our Pledge of Allegiance can be turned right quick into a glorious prayer to Jesus Christ! We are one nation, under God, and the Pledge of Allegiance allows Godly students to speak with their unsaved classmates about the Christian God whom this nation is under.
The correct way of pledging eternal servitude to our Christian nation, the Abrahamic God, His Son and the Pigeon is to have your hands folded in prayer, not over your heart, and before everyone gets ready to say the Pledge of Allegiance—shout,“Dear Lord Jesus…” and then continue with the rest of the group in unison,“I pledge allegiance to the flag…” This is a testimony that you are acknowledging the Pledge of Allegiance is a prayer. If people pause for any reason in the Pledge-- yell,“I feel a victory coming on! Yes, Jesus!” And be sure to end the Pledge with “A-men” as well.
America’s Best Christian
I have seen the light.-Poe

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#8 Aug 5, 2012
No!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#9 Aug 5, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
Niose believes that there is a vast secular coalition, and I wonder if he realizes how many nonbelievers are as nonpolitical as they are nonreligious. I've seen a few people try to use Topix as one of their tools to build (and presumably lead) such a coalition only to be roundly rebuffed in this forum.
Other than that, I agree with much of what he says and appreciate the way he articulates it. The article is a good read.
He knows. I've heard Dave Silverman (President of American Atheist) bemoan that only about 5% of the available non-theists of any ilk ever get involved with these organizations, either locally or nationally. They know that they have a very limited audience of free-thinkers who are even willing to get involved. And they know it's like herding cats to get agreement on any kind of direction.

On the other side of that coin is the Secular Coalition of America which was started by Dr. Herb Silverman (no relation to Dave). He has at least been somewhat successful in getting all the numerous national secular and non-theistic organizations to come together on some issues. SCA is now at a point where they are working on State-level chapters, so they are seeing some growth.

“GOVERNMENT OF DECEIVERS (GOD)”

NEWARK, NEW JERSEY

#10 Aug 5, 2012
America is a nation of god / grand OLE deceit

To survive the American Holocaust you must resist your unnatural godass (second class complacency). god being satan's immaculate deception, grand OLE deceit, good OLE deception, group of demons, government of deceivers, governing oppressive dis ease (mental illness spread like Typhoid Mary) and a$$ being American Stockholm Syndrome (war can be declared on you without your permission / love for your abuser ie. Jaycee Lee Dugard story). Deceivers deceiver. god - government of deceivers. YHVH is pronounced YA. Thank YHVH, YHVH welcome, YHVH bless, YHVH way. There is no substitute.

YHVH suspends mercy in response to god (government of deceivers) suspension of inalienable rights (life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness) in the American Holocaust.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/101079186/James-Hol ...

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#11 Aug 8, 2012
Clicking around from this link I found this:

http://cpcfoundation.com/

It seems we have the fundy politicians somewhat concerned.

:)

“GOVERNMENT OF DECEIVERS (GOD)”

NEWARK, NEW JERSEY

#12 Aug 8, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
Clicking around from this link I found this:
http://cpcfoundation.com/
It seems we have the fundy politicians somewhat concerned.
:)
NOTE - Not of this earth http://www.scribd.com/doc/27124357/YHVH-s-NOT...

“Land of Entrapment”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#13 Aug 10, 2012
AmericasBestChristian wrote:
America’s Best Christian
You most be the Poster Queen for TV Evangelicals? Try reading the Bible in it's entirety. Including the NT. You have skewered the Word to justify your genocides. I don't think a Righteous God will look at favor on this. Christ does not command for others to go to America and kill off all the indeginous for their land. No where!

He commands they take the Gospel! Woe to you, Viper.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 24 min woodtick57 2,267
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr Yiago 148
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 232,891
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 6 hr _Bad Company 141
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 7 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 7 hr thetruth 67
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 23 hr _Bad Company 23,198
More from around the web