How do Atheists decide which 'magic b...

How do Atheists decide which 'magic book' to use to justify their beliefs?

Posted in the Atheism Forum

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#1 May 24, 2013
I’m not one to say everyone that shares a particular aspect of their belief systems, believe the same things.
I realize there are differences within the group.

But I have noticed that many ‘contemporary’ atheists rely heavily on this magic book, that supports their beliefs. I mean of course, A Dictionary.

It used to be, until that last few decades that Atheists were know as cerebral type people.
They had spent considerable time contemplating existence, the meaning of life, and of course the existence of god. They had arrived at certain conclusions.

Contemporary atheists claim just the opposite. For them, Atheism comes with no effort, ignorance alone makes a person an atheist.

No problem with that from me, their choice.
But it seems when they attempt to justify their beliefs, they rely heavily on ‘dictionary definitions’.

Anyone familiar with dictionaries realize that you can find a dictionary to say just about anything you want.

You want a ‘horse’ to be an animal, no problem.
How about a carpenter’s tool instead, just as easy.
A pattern of irregular speech, every bit as easy.

If an animal, must it have four legs or can it have three?– I will say it must have four, The Dictionary says so, so a three legged animal cannot be a horse.

Oh what wonders of ‘sound logic’ I can perform, if only I may use my magic book, my teller of truth, that never errors, that never lies, my Dictionary.

Atheist use an appeal to authority, a ‘magic book’, to justify their belief, and say they cannot be mistaken, so it is true knowledge,, according to them.

As an outsider, it seems to me that Atheists who make appeals to Dictionaries are simply picking one that suits their purpose.
No better reason than that.

“This one works, so I will use it.”

Below is an example from a recent thread, and the OP has the blessing of several of the regular contributors to this forum, in his use of fallacious reasoning- appeal to an arbitrary authority.

~quote
Here is what I understand you to say, tell me where I got it wrong.

A theist calls himself a humanist, and the president of his humanist organization agrees.
You advise them, and any rationally minded persons, that person is not a humanist, because of his beliefs as a theist.
You do this based on the authority of a special book you use to reveal Truth (your dictionary).
You are correct by right of reason and rationality,(and of course your sacred book) so your position is really not disputable.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

So is there a rational reason or process of what Dictionary to use to accept as an authority on the use of words and terms, or is it just self serving, pick the one that works?

Jackson, MO

#2 Jun 3, 2013
I use The God Delusion for my version of a bible.
Amused

Pinehurst, MA

#3 Jun 4, 2013
Atheism is free of the need for "magic" books, because it rejects the idea of the supernatural, i.e. "magic".

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4 Jun 4, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
I’m not one to say everyone that shares a particular aspect of their belief systems, believe the same things.
But I have noticed that many ‘contemporary’ atheists rely heavily on this magic book, that supports their beliefs. I mean of course, A Dictionary.
It used to be, until that last few decades that Atheists were know as cerebral type people.
They had spent considerable time contemplating existence, the meaning of life, and of course the existence of god. They had arrived at certain conclusions.
Contemporary atheists claim just the opposite. For them, Atheism comes with no effort, ignorance alone makes a person an atheist.
But it seems when they attempt to justify their beliefs, they rely heavily on ‘dictionary definitions’.
Anyone familiar with dictionaries realize that you can find a dictionary to say just about anything you want.
If an animal, must it have four legs or can it have three?– I will say it must have four, The Dictionary says so, so a three legged animal cannot be a horse.
Oh what wonders of ‘sound logic’ I can perform, if only I may use my magic book, my teller of truth, that never errors, that never lies, my Dictionary.
Atheist use an appeal to authority, a ‘magic book’, to justify their belief, and say they cannot be mistaken, so it is true knowledge,, according to them.
As an outsider, it seems to me that Atheists who make appeals to Dictionaries are simply picking one that suits their purpose.
Below is an example from a recent thread, and the OP has the blessing of several of the regular contributors to this forum, in his use of fallacious reasoning- appeal to an arbitrary authority.
~quote
A theist calls himself a humanist, and the president of his humanist organization agrees.
You advise them, and any rationally minded persons, that person is not a humanist, because of his beliefs as a theist.
You do this based on the authority of a special book you use to reveal Truth (your dictionary).
You are correct by right of reason and rationality,(and of course your sacred book) so your position is really not disputable.
So is there a rational reason or process of what Dictionary to use to accept as an authority on the use of words and terms, or is it just self serving, pick the one that works?
Wow... that is the most inane thing I have ever wasted time reading part of.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#5 Jun 4, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
~quote
All people are born atheist, which is "not thiest". It takes indoctrination to change them into thiests. Without indoctrination all people remain atheist. And of those atheist, some are avowed non-believers, and some are not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr HTN640509-040147 81,486
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Dogen 32,891
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 6 hr Dogen 2,187
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Oct 11 old_moose 233
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) Oct 10 blacklagoon 3 94
Deconversion (Feb '17) Oct 10 Eagle 12 - 145
News Atheist Student Organization Faces Revolt From ... Oct 9 Opium for dummies 7
More from around the web