Why atheism is powerless against the ...

Why atheism is powerless against the new barbarians

There are 10 comments on the Ukiah Blog Live story from Jun 16, 2013, titled Why atheism is powerless against the new barbarians. In it, Ukiah Blog Live reports that:

I love the remark made by one Oxford don about another: 'On the surface, he's profound, but deep down, he's superficial.'

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ukiah Blog Live.

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#1 Jun 16, 2013
The man who wrote this is an idiot. Atheism has absolutely nothing to do with the stock-market collapsing. Do people still believe that without religious beliefs, the whole world will collapse?

How dumb do you have to be to believe such nonsense? The religious countries tend to be filled with violence and bloodshed, whereas the secular countries have less violence per capita.

The US is the most religious country in the world and we have the highest rate of murder and killing.

Religionthebigli e

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#2 Jun 16, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
The man who wrote this is an idiot. Atheism has absolutely nothing to do with the stock-market collapsing. Do people still believe that without religious beliefs, the whole world will collapse?
How dumb do you have to be to believe such nonsense? The religious countries tend to be filled with violence and bloodshed, whereas the secular countries have less violence per capita.
The US is the most religious country in the world and we have the highest rate of murder and killing.
I know....right? As if society will collapse without the belief in a cosmic babysitter.....and in the case of our wonderful U.S. xtians; 41,000 different sects of the same cult who wish to appoint themselves the mouthpiece of the babysitter. As if!!!!
Thinking

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#4 Jun 17, 2013
You'd almost think Jonathan Sacks was trying to promote a religion or some such nonsense.

Particularly love the audacity this straw man from his article:

"Richard Dawkins, whom I respect, partly understands this. He has said often that Darwinism is a science, not an ethic. Turn natural selection into a code of conduct and you get disaster. But if asked where we get our morality from, if not from science or religion, the new atheists start to stammer. They tend to argue that ethics is obvious, which it isn’t, or natural, which it manifestly isn’t either, and end up vaguely hinting that this isn’t their problem. Let someone else worry about it."
Thinking

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#5 Jun 17, 2013
of ^

Religionthebigli e

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#6 Jun 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You'd almost think Jonathan Sacks was trying to promote a religion or some such nonsense.
Particularly love the audacity this straw man from his article:
"Richard Dawkins, whom I respect, partly understands this. He has said often that Darwinism is a science, not an ethic. Turn natural selection into a code of conduct and you get disaster. But if asked where we get our morality from, if not from science or religion, the new atheists start to stammer. They tend to argue that ethics is obvious, which it isn’t, or natural, which it manifestly isn’t either, and end up vaguely hinting that this isn’t their problem. Let someone else worry about it."
That's all they have is straw men. When it comes down to it, the further we move away from biblical morality(justifiable genocide, slavery, discrimination, etc.), the more just our society becomes.
Thinking

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#7 Jun 17, 2013
Agreed.

I further note the snide way that Sacks is trying to say that people that understand Evolution have only recently said you shouldn't apply "survival of the fittest" to all in society.

The truth is that Darwin also said this - a very long time ago.

However, I do hear "survival of the fittest" rhetoric coming from tea party types whenever they try to explain why healthcare should not be available to all US citizens.
Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all they have is straw men. When it comes down to it, the further we move away from biblical morality(justifiable genocide, slavery, discrimination, etc.), the more just our society becomes.

Religionthebigli e

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#8 Jun 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Agreed.
I further note the snide way that Sacks is trying to say that people that understand Evolution have only recently said you shouldn't apply "survival of the fittest" to all in society.
The truth is that Darwin also said this - a very long time ago.
However, I do hear "survival of the fittest" rhetoric coming from tea party types whenever they try to explain why healthcare should not be available to all US citizens.
<quoted text>
Aren't they the ones who were crying about "death panels"?
Thinking

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#9 Jun 18, 2013
I am quite sure that a decent mechanism can be found where someone can lodge their wishes with a solicitor, get a couple of independent doctors on board, etc, etc to minimise the chance of abuse of the system.

Until they grow up however, the god squad will continue to endorse unnecessary suffering for all.
Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't they the ones who were crying about "death panels"?

Religionthebigli e

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#10 Jun 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I am quite sure that a decent mechanism can be found where someone can lodge their wishes with a solicitor, get a couple of independent doctors on board, etc, etc to minimise the chance of abuse of the system.
Until they grow up however, the god squad will continue to endorse unnecessary suffering for all.
<quoted text>
They won't grow up until their forced to.......through public exposure, being called out for every lie, and their mobster-style dirty dealings and racketeering.

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#11 Jun 19, 2013
That's the trouble with religion....the masses still believe it to be the best thing out there, and somehow if you challenge someone's religious belief, everyone acts like you're attacking them personally.

The worst offenders are arguably Muslims-seeing as they kill almost anyone who questions their beliefs. Ever read Infidel? Talk about a good book. That book's about a Somalian woman who escaped from her home country to avoid being married off to a man she didn't want to marry. She headed to Holland, where they kept her there for a while while she made a name for herself speaking for women's rights. Then Holland RELEASED her because they were threatened by Islamic radicals.

Isn't that cowardly? Christianity, on the other hand, has mostly calmed down. No longer do you see Christians burning people at the stake, or torturing others to death. Now the fringe section occasionally pulls some stupid stunts-like the Westboro Baptist or the Scientology cult-but for the most part, Christians are keeping to themselves.

The great thing about today's society is for the first time, non-believers can speak out without fear of being tortured or killed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Universe from Nothing? 4 min u196533dm 540
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min Chimney1 43,311
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Eagle 12 10,064
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Eagle 12 21,202
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 256,576
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 1 hr Eagle 12 770
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 18,592
More from around the web