Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

He basically asks... So do you atheists believe in God or do you believe in the son of God?

Wtf? Again we see an idiot who has no idea what an atheist is.
Thinking wrote:
Most likely neither.
Ah, you religitards with your either/or choices... so unimaginative.
<quoted text>

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because it's an idiot that's reading it when you're read it.
An intelligent scholar has no issues with the Bible.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.~ Bertrand Russell

As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers.~ Robert G. Ingersoll

They were allowed to stay there on one condition, and that is that they didn't eat of the tree of knowledge. That has been the condition of the Christian church from then until now. They haven't eaten as yet, as a rule they do not.~ Clarence Darrow

The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it.~ Robert G. Ingersoll

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think irony meters can be adjusted that far. Care to buy a slightly used looney meter?
You have to get a top of the line, professional quality irony meter if you want to stick around the atheist forum or the creation/evolution forum. I suggest the Turbo-Sensor III with Deluxe Counter-Reality Enhancements. Even still, expect the meter to max out regularly and occasionally blow. Keep a large supply of fuses handy.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because it's an idiot that's reading it when you're read it.
An intelligent scholar has no issues with the Bible.
You are right. An intelligent scholar treats the Bible in about the same way as they treat the Iliad. It has some historical aspects that can be verified, but those aspects are mixed with rank superstition. So they read the text skeptically and with an awareness of the culture in which it was written and assembled. They glean the historical parts from the miasma of myth and use the rest to more fully understand the mindset of the people of the time.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think irony meters can be adjusted that far. Care to buy a slightly used looney meter?
Lol

Yes, thanks much - it may well do the job.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>The intelligent scholar has no problem with any book of fiction, why would the bible be any different?
Why that's the dumbest question I've heard in a long time.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Oh wow now you are even changing your own numbers! Lol!

Regardless your numbers are wrong which is why you won't show a link to back them up. Plus your incorrect numbers only incorrectly show people who self describe themselves as atheists. throw in all self described non believers and that pitiful incorrect number multiplies radically. Regardless non believers are the fastest growing group in America. Sorry but it is a fact as is the fact that there is far more evidence for a historical Hercules than a historical Jesus.

Just accept it.

:knowing smile:
What the matter givemeabrain?

You need a link? The name of the study wasn't good enough for you?

You can't look up anything?

"The CIA World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.35%(of which Roman Catholic 16.83%, Protestant 6.08%, Orthodox 4.03%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.43%, Hindu 13.78%, Buddhist 7.13%, Sikh 0.36%, Jewish 0.21%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 11.17%, non-religious 9.42%, atheists 2.04%."

"The CIA World Factbook" you can't figure this out with out a link?

Here's a few more with names and links

A survey published in the 2005 Encyclopedia Britannica stated that 2.3% of the world's population consists of individuals who profess "atheism, skepticism, disbelief, or irreligion, including the militantly antireligious." In regards to the 2.3% figure just mentioned, the 2005 survey cited by Encyclopedia Britannica survey did not include Buddhist in regards to the 2.3% figure and Buddhism can be theistic or atheistic."

Wikipedia:

"Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population.[citation needed] It is difficult to determine whether atheism is growing or not"

Wikipedia :

"2005 poll by AP/Ipsos surveyed ten countries. Of the developed nations, people in the United States were most sure of the existence of God or a higher power (2% atheist, 4% agnostic)"

Wikipedia :

"According to one estimate, atheists make up about 2.3% of the world's population"

"In 2007, a Pew Forum survey found that the atheist population in the United States was 1.6% of the American population."

"Global atheism is shrinking and demographic changes in the United States and the world are expected to shrink the influence of American secularism.
In 2012, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary reported that globally every day there are 800 less atheists per day, 1,100 less non-religious (agnostic) people per day and 83,000 more people professing to be Christians per day.
In 2011, the American Spectator declared concerning research published in the International Bulletin of

Missionary Research:
The report estimates about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day. These atheists are presumably disproportionately represented in the West, while religion is thriving in the Global South, where charismatic Christianity is exploding."

YOU ARE a tiny group. LOL
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>He was a work of fiction with less historical proof than Hercules.

Maybe Hades needed more souls and tricked Constantine into forcing a false religion on the masses at a crucial time in history turning people away from the more historically accurate savior Hercules?

:)
There is proof of many things so what?
You want to worship hair you go for it!

LOLNN
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Go away you failed creationist. You're not converting anyone here so get the f*ck out.
Poor Skippy, must suck to be the bad puppet. You only get to type a few lines while all the other puppets get to play a bigger role.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Most likely neither.

Ah, you religitards with your either/or choices... so unimaginative.
Nice to see you leave the door open.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>He basically asks... So do you atheists believe in God or do you believe in the son of God?

Wtf? Again we see an idiot who has no idea what an atheist is.
No, it was in response to THinkings

"Maybe jesus is only a metaphor and not the son of god."

I was just pointing out the other two titles Jesus is called in the Bible.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>“So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.”~ Bertrand Russell

“As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers.”~ Robert G. Ingersoll

“They were allowed to stay there on one condition, and that is that they didn't eat of the tree of knowledge. That has been the condition of the Christian church from then until now. They haven't eaten as yet, as a rule they do not.”~ Clarence Darrow

“The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it.”~ Robert G. Ingersoll

Proverbs 1:1-33 ESV

The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel: To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight, to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth— Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance,...

2 Peter 1:5 ESV

For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge,

Acts 13:7 ESV

He was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, a man of intelligence, who summoned Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God.

1 Corinthians 2:16 ESV

“For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

Daniel 5:14 ESV

I have heard of you that the spirit of the gods is in you, and that light and understanding and excellent wisdom are found in you.

Job 12:3 ESV

But I have understanding as well as you; I am not inferior to you. Who does not know such things as these?

Philippians 1:9-11 ESV

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>You are right. An intelligent scholar treats the Bible in about the same way as they treat the Iliad. It has some historical aspects that can be verified, but those aspects are mixed with rank superstition. So they read the text skeptically and with an awareness of the culture in which it was written and assembled. They glean the historical parts from the miasma of myth and use the rest to more fully understand the mindset of the people of the time.
You're correct and thank you for the
"You are right". And there is some truth to the rest that you wrote.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Why that's the dumbest answer I've heard in a long time.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Why that's the dumbest question I've heard in a long time.
ronone

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

youtube.com/watch... No never beleived it real

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Links? Or accept defeat. Regardless when you combine all non believers we see the real picture.

Maybe you will again ask if atheists believe in God or that Jesus was the son of God?

That was a hoot and shows how ignorant you are.

Again links or it's Bullsht.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
What the matter givemeabrain?
You need a link? The name of the study wasn't good enough for you?
You can't look up anything?
"The CIA World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.35%(of which Roman Catholic 16.83%, Protestant 6.08%, Orthodox 4.03%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.43%, Hindu 13.78%, Buddhist 7.13%, Sikh 0.36%, Jewish 0.21%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 11.17%, non-religious 9.42%, atheists 2.
A cited by Encyclopedia Britannica survey did not include Buddhist in regards to the 2.3% figure and Buddhism can be theistic or atheistic."
Wikipedia:
"Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population.[citation needed] It is difficult to determine whether atheism is growing or not"
Wikipedia :
"2005 poll by AP/Ipsos surveyed ten countries. Of the developed nations, people in the United States were most sure of the existence of God or a higher power (2% atheist, 4% agnostic)"
Wikipedia :
"According to one estimate, atheists make up about 2.3% of the world's population"
"In 2007, a Pew Forum survey found that the atheist population in the United States was 1.6% of the American
In 2012, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary reported that globally every day there are 800 less atheists per day, 1,100 less non-religious (agnostic) people per day and 83,000 more people professing to be Christians per day.
In 2011, the American Spectator declared concerning research published in the International Bulletin of
Missionary Research:
The report estimates about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day. These atheists are presumably disproportionately represented in the West, while religion is thriving in the Global South, where charismatic Christianity is exploding."
YOU ARE a tiny group. LOL

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Worship hair? Is that a joke about the idiot Samson story? Cut his hair and he goes from Hulk Hogan to Kramer?
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
There is proof of many things so what?
You want to worship hair you go for it!
LOLNN

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

No you clearly asked atheists if they believed that Jesus is God himself, the son of God or the biblical prophecy of the so called son of man.

Honestly what did you think we would say about your myth man? Hell we have more historical proof for Hercules than Jesus.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it was in response to THinkings
"Maybe jesus is only a metaphor and not the son of god."
I was just pointing out the other two titles Jesus is called in the Bible.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Links? Or accept defeat. Regardless when you combine all non believers we see the real picture.

Maybe you will again ask if atheists believe in God or that Jesus was the son of God?

That was a hoot and shows how ignorant you are.

Again links or it's Bullsht.
Sorry you don't dictate the rules.
Ever survey has its source listed.

2.04% LOL

Or in another survey 2.3%

2.3% what a joke your religion is!

You claim all humans are born atheist.
Ok that means at one time you had 100% of the human population. The current percentage of the world population is at 2.3%.

That means that 97.7% of your congregation has left your faith!!

WTF is wrong with you guys?
97.7%!!!!!!!
Do you realize how many people that is?

Man you're not just losing them at that rate there running from you! LMFAO
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>No you clearly asked atheists if they believed that Jesus is God himself, the son of God or the biblical prophecy of the so called son of man.

Honestly what did you think we would say about your myth man? Hell we have more historical proof for Hercules than Jesus.
"H. G. Wells, British writer, 1866-1946

When asked which person left the most permanent impression on history, he replied that judging a person’s greatness by historical standards:

“By this test, Jesus stands first.”

“I am a historian, I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that this penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the very center of history. Jesus Christ is easily the most dominant figure in all history.”

“Christ is the most unique person of history. No man can write a history of the human race without giving first and foremost place to the penniless teacher of Nazareth.”

Kenneth Scott Latourette, former President of American Historic Society

In A History of Christianity:

“It is evidence of His importance, of the effect that He has had upon history and presumably, of the baffling mystery of His being that no other life ever lived on this planet has evoked so huge a volume of literature among so many people and languages, and that, far from ebbing, the flood continues to mount.”

“As the centuries pass by, the evidence is accumulating that measured by its effect on history, Jesus is the most influential life ever lived on this planet. The influence appears to be mounting.”

“No other life lived on this planet has so widely and deeply affected mankind.”

George Bancroft, great American historian

“I find the name of Jesus Christ written on the top of every page of modern history.”"

http://www.why-jesus.com/history.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,641 - 1,660 of4,534
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••