Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#1644 Dec 3, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Wikipedia
Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed,[1][2][3][4] and biblical scholars and classical historians regard theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.[5][6][7] While there is little agreement on the historicity of gospel narratives and their theological assertions of his divinity[8][9][10][11] most scholars agree that Jesus was a Galilean Jew who was born between 7 and 2 BC and died 30–36 AD.[12][13] Most scholars hold that Jesus lived in Galilee and Judea, did not preach or study elsewhere[14][15][16] and that he spoke Aramaic and may have also spoken Hebrew and Greek.[17][18][19] Although scholars differ on the reconstruction of the specific episodes of the life of Jesus, the two events whose historicity is subject to "almost universal assent" are that he was baptized by John the Baptist and was crucified by the order of the Roman Prefect Pontius Pilate.[20][21][22][23]
None of this has anything to do with a tomb, guards, or the disappearance of a body.

My statement stands.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1646 Dec 3, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
And what was the sin of Jephtha's daughter? The innocent young girl who only obeyed Yahweh and was roasted alive as a burnt offering to him?
I guess her sin was obeying Yahweh.
<quoted text>
Thats false, she was not killed. she went to serve Yahweh in the temples all her life

the bible does not say she was a burnt sacrfice,burnt offering etc

whoever is saying that she killed,is lying. Instead of listening to others,read it for yourself. a sacrifice is something you give up.

she sacrficed her childhood and adulthood to serve Yahweh.
just like when people go off to study abroad. Thats a sacrifice.

just like when go off away to college,it comes at price. you have to study a lot, you do not see your family and you barelyhave any free time.

that little girl was not a burnt offering, their is a big difference. she never died.

Location hidden

#1647 Dec 3, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm quoting scriptures from the Bible that tell you to fear your god. There are many, many more. Still, seeing as you brought it up, why don't you share with us what you mean by "out of context" and then tells us what context they should be in.
Here you go - try this one for size:
"13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil."
Ecclesiastes 12:13-14
"Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the duty of man"
What's out of context with that?
Are you reading the whole accounts? God kept sending the jews prophets because they weren't obeying him.

they were sacfricing babies and having sex in the temples, worshipping false gods. they had a covenant with him to serve him.

God has laws just like Goverment has laws. except God laws are simple.he makes sure everyone knows. Goverments have hundreds of thousands of laws.

he was pleading with them to change,he is very nice. if was evil he could just destroyed everything and started completely from scratch.but he is just and obeys his laws and he has to show everyone that human rulrship will never bring satisfaction

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#1648 Dec 3, 2012
So all the other biblical resurrections were make believe? Lmfao!

Bottom line we have not one shred of historical proof of Jesus' resurrection nor for Jesus himself. We actually have more historical proof for Hercules than Jesus and that's a fact.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
But Jesus did it under 24 hour
Guards. The other were make believe.
Jesus Did it while under guard where the Romans were forced to admit that Jesus has left the tomb while under Gaurd. The Romans hated Jesus even more then you but they knew at least not to lie about him. They fully acknowledge his body disappeared.

Lexington, KY

#1649 Dec 3, 2012
Jephtha promised the dark Palestinian god Yahweh a burnt offering by whatever came out of his house first, which was his daughter. Two months later he kept his promise to Yahweh which was his daughter as a burnt offering. Sorry it's clear no matter how much apologetics try to change the bible today.

And now your JW cult teaches she never died? She is walking around today?

Lmfao! You see this is the kind of idiot that falls for the JW cult. You are way out there.

32D bra right?
leahisadoll wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats false, she was not killed. she went to serve Yahweh in the temples all her life
the bible does not say she was a burnt sacrfice,burnt offering etc
whoever is saying that she killed,is lying. Instead of listening to others,read it for yourself. a sacrifice is something you give up.
she sacrficed her childhood and adulthood to serve Yahweh.
just like when people go off to study abroad. Thats a sacrifice.
just like when go off away to college,it comes at price. you have to study a lot, you do not see your family and you barelyhave any free time.
that little girl was not a burnt offering, their is a big difference. she never died.

Lexington, KY

#1650 Dec 3, 2012
Pretty much all the reject told us was that people who believe in Jesus believe in Jesus!

Stop the presses!

Lmfao!
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
None of this has anything to do with a tomb, guards, or the disappearance of a body.
My statement stands.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#1651 Dec 3, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Pretty much all the reject told us was that people who believe in Jesus believe in Jesus!

Stop the presses!

Lmfao!
"Beyond baptism and crucifixion, scholars attribute varying levels of certainty to the historicity of other events and a list of EIGHT FACTS that may be historically certain about Jesus and his followers has been widely discussed.[21][24][25] However, scholarly agreement on this extended list is not universal, e.g. while some scholars accept that Jesus called disciples, others maintain that Jesus imposed no hierarchy and preached to all in equal terms.[21][25]

Since the 18th century a number of quests for the historical Jesus have taken place, and historical critical methods for studying the historicity of Jesus have been developed. Various Christian and non-Christian sources are used to study. "

"The historicity of Jesus refers to the analysis of historical data to determine if Jesus existed as a historical figure, approximately where and when he lived, and if any of the major milestones in his life, such as his method of death, can be confirmed as historical events"

"Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed"

This tidbit has been brought to you by Wikipedia.

Location hidden

#1652 Dec 3, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Jephtha promised the dark Palestinian god Yahweh a burnt offering by whatever came out of his house first, which was his daughter. Two months later he kept his promise to Yahweh which was his daughter as a burnt offering. Sorry it's clear no matter how much apologetics try to change the bible today.
And now your JW cult teaches she never died? She is walking around today?
Lmfao! You see this is the kind of idiot that falls for the JW cult. You are way out there.
32D bra right?
<quoted text>
Alas, my daughter! You have indeed made me bend down, and you yourself have become the one I was ostracizing. And II have opened my mouth to Jehovah, and I am unable to turn back.

Judges 11: At this he said:Go! So he sent her away for two months; and she kept going, she with her girl companions, and weeping over her virginity upon the mountains. 39And it came about at the end of two months that she made her return to her father, after which he carried out his vow that he had made toward her. As for her, she never had relations with a man. And it came to be a regulation in Israel

IF YOU READ THE WHOLE ACCOUNT, SHE WAS NOT OFFERED AS A BURNT OFFERRING.She went to the mountains with other virgins, she was like a nun, notice the words (ostracize)meaning cast off.

Yahweh would not except a burnt human

Clearly you are the idiot. You cannot take one scripture and twist it.

You have never read whole account which explains your ignorance.

if you read whole account she was't killed,or burnt.
she was a virgin and never married which is a huge sacrifice.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#1653 Dec 3, 2012
leahisadoll wrote:
<quoted text>“Alas, my daughter! You have indeed made me bend down, and you yourself have become the one I was ostracizing. And I—I have opened my mouth to Jehovah, and I am unable to turn back.”

Judges 11: At this he said:“Go!” So he sent her away for two months; and she kept going, she with her girl companions, and weeping over her virginity upon the mountains. 39And it came about at the end of two months that she made her return to her father, after which he carried out his vow that he had made toward her. As for her, she never had relations with a man. And it came to be a regulation in Israel

IF YOU READ THE WHOLE ACCOUNT, SHE WAS NOT OFFERED AS A BURNT OFFERRING.She went to the mountains with other virgins, she was like a nun, notice the words (ostracize)meaning cast off.

This all she does!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#1654 Dec 3, 2012
leahisadoll wrote:
<quoted text>
Alas, my daughter! You have indeed made me bend down, and you yourself have become the one I was ostracizing. And II have opened my mouth to Jehovah, and I am unable to turn back.
Judges 11: At this he said:Go! So he sent her away for two months; and she kept going, she with her girl companions, and weeping over her virginity upon the mountains. 39And it came about at the end of two months that she made her return to her father, after which he carried out his vow that he had made toward her. As for her, she never had relations with a man. And it came to be a regulation in Israel
Thats true.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#1655 Dec 3, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"Beyond baptism and crucifixion, scholars attribute varying levels of certainty to the historicity of other events and a list of EIGHT FACTS that may be historically certain about Jesus and his followers has been widely discussed.[21][24][25] However, scholarly agreement on this extended list is not universal, e.g. while some scholars accept that Jesus called disciples, others maintain that Jesus imposed no hierarchy and preached to all in equal terms.[21][25]
Since the 18th century a number of quests for the historical Jesus have taken place, and historical critical methods for studying the historicity of Jesus have been developed. Various Christian and non-Christian sources are used to study. "
"The historicity of Jesus refers to the analysis of historical data to determine if Jesus existed as a historical figure, approximately where and when he lived, and if any of the major milestones in his life, such as his method of death, can be confirmed as historical events"
You don't have to explain anything to him. If he wants to believe that bible is a myth, then thats him. paul was real and he met jesus. some Scientist lack Faith in the true God,so they make theories because in their head their is no God, which to me is guilt, since they are responsible for the death of billions of ppl from weapons,testing humans like lab rats.

i'd rather believe in higher source than to put my trust in scientist,who for the most part do not care about anyone but themselves. Charles Darwin was the last real scientist, he did his own research.

The mainstream scientist are paid robots. people rather believe a lie than the truth anyway.

Louisville, KY

#1656 Dec 3, 2012
I notice you purposely left out the part where he said what his promise was. A burnt offering to the dark god Yahweh. He cried because se came out first an he knew he had to offer Her up as a burnt offering, which was his promise. He gave her two months to weep for her fate being offered up as a burnt offering as he promised and as the scriptures say after her two months of weeping he fulfilled his promise which was to offer up what came out if his door first as a burnt offering.

Nowhere does it say instead if a burnt offering as he promised it would be serving in the temple never to get married and that in itself would have been against OT law as the Hebrews were commanded to multiply and have kids. He doing such as that would be an insult in itself.

He promised Yahweh a burnt offering and he fulfilled that promise.
leahisadoll wrote:
<quoted text>

Chicago, IL

#1657 Dec 3, 2012
Yes Christian scholars believe in Jesus no surprise there. Bottom line the uncomfortable truth that more and more of these so called scholars are cringing at is showing any historical proof that he ever existed. Not a single contemporary historian wrote a word about Jesus. The closest we have is the forged passages of Josephus which were placed in it over 100 years after Jesus was said to die. Even the Josephus passages merely state what Christians at the time said Josephus never met him.

Not a word written by any roman or Jewish officials at the time and even Christians didn't write a single word about him until over 50 years after his death?? Say what?

No proof he ever existed. Fact.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>

Chicago, IL

#1658 Dec 3, 2012
Yes this is a comforting apologetic lie. But the bible is clear even if you don't like it. Does Jephtha promise Yahweh whatever comes out of his house first will serve in the temple all their life? Nope and women wouldn't be allowed to do this anyways.

No it is crystal clear Jephtha promises Yahweh a burnt offering of whatever came out of his house first. His daughter came out. He tore at his clothes because he promised Yahweh a burnt offering and knew he HAD to keep THAT promise. If she was just going to chill at the temple why would he be so upset? Oh ya he promised a burnt offering and when you make a promise to Yahweh you keep it, no matter how difficult it is. After two months he kept his promise to Yahweh of a burnt offering which was sadly his daughter.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
This all she does!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#1659 Dec 4, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
And from that same Wikipedia article -- "the issue of historicity versus non-historicity of Jesus has been long ignored due to theological interests."

(Christians have been known to burn people at the stake for such heresy ... it's a lot like drawing pictures of Muhammad)

But I'll tell you what, just to be fair -- you just explain to me how a star (any star) can point to a specific location on this planet (any specific location) and I'll take another look at your myth. No? Can't do that?

And that's just one of many, many holes in your mythology. You get past that one and we can try a few more.

“Israel for Ever and Ever”

Since: Nov 08

Right Here with my feet up

#1660 Dec 4, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>.... and great civilizations with fully documented histories, show no flood. Nor does the geographical data, no world wide flood. Those bible fishermen stretched every story.
Which ones are you referring to. Please be so kind as to list them
KJV

United States

#1661 Dec 4, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>And from that same Wikipedia article -- "the issue of historicity versus non-historicity of Jesus has been long ignored due to theological interests."

(Christians have been known to burn people at the stake for such heresy ... it's a lot like drawing pictures of Muhammad)

But I'll tell you what, just to be fair -- you just explain to me how a star (any star) can point to a specific location on this planet (any specific location) and I'll take another look at your myth. No? Can't do that?

And that's just one of many, many holes in your mythology. You get past that one and we can try a few more.
A good DVD on this would be the star of Bethlehem. Worth the watch if you truly want you question answered.
KJV

United States

#1662 Dec 4, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Yes this is a comforting apologetic lie. But the bible is clear even if you don't like it. Does Jephtha promise Yahweh whatever comes out of his house first will serve in the temple all their life? Nope and women wouldn't be allowed to do this anyways.

No it is crystal clear Jephtha promises Yahweh a burnt offering of whatever came out of his house first. His daughter came out. He tore at his clothes because he promised Yahweh a burnt offering and knew he HAD to keep THAT promise. If she was just going to chill at the temple why would he be so upset? Oh ya he promised a burnt offering and when you make a promise to Yahweh you keep it, no matter how difficult it is. After two months he kept his promise to Yahweh of a burnt offering which was sadly his daughter.
Clueless. Typic from "givemeabrain"
KJV

United States

#1663 Dec 4, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Yes Christian scholars believe in Jesus no surprise there. Bottom line the uncomfortable truth that more and more of these so called scholars are cringing at is showing any historical proof that he ever existed. Not a single contemporary historian wrote a word about Jesus. The closest we have is the forged passages of Josephus which were placed in it over 100 years after Jesus was said to die. Even the Josephus passages merely state what Christians at the time said Josephus never met him.

Not a word written by any roman or Jewish officials at the time and even Christians didn't write a single word about him until over 50 years after his death?? Say what?

No proof he ever existed. Fact.
"H. G. Wells, British writer, 1866-1946

When asked which person left the most permanent impression on history, he replied that judging a person’s greatness by historical standards:

“By this test, Jesus stands first.”

“I am a historian, I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that this penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the very center of history. Jesus Christ is easily the most dominant figure in all history.”

“Christ is the most unique person of history. No man can write a history of the human race without giving first and foremost place to the penniless teacher of Nazareth.”

Kenneth Scott Latourette, former President of American Historic Society

In A History of Christianity:

“It is evidence of His importance, of the effect that He has had upon history and presumably, of the baffling mystery of His being that no other life ever lived on this planet has evoked so huge a volume of literature among so many people and languages, and that, far from ebbing, the flood continues to mount.”

“As the centuries pass by, the evidence is accumulating that measured by its effect on history, Jesus is the most influential life ever lived on this planet. The influence appears to be mounting.”

“No other life lived on this planet has so widely and deeply affected mankind.”

George Bancroft, great American historian

“I find the name of Jesus Christ written on the top of every page of modern history.”"

http://www.why-jesus.com/history.htm
KJV

United States

#1664 Dec 4, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
" http://www.thegracetabernacle.org/quotes/Jesu...

The Impact of Jesus on Religion and Politics
by Abdul H. Manraj

Jesus is probably the most misunderstood religious personality in the history of the world. He never claimed divinity and was as human as the prophets who preceded him. From a theological perspective, arguments can be made to support any religious dogma regardless of which denomination one subscribes to, and religious texts can be interpreted in any number of ways, some of them quite nebulous, to bolster a particular argument or belief.

That being the case, this article will approach the above subject from a historical perspective, and provide some substantial evidence that is quite irrefutable, using both historical data as well as sacred texts to defend the postulation regarding Jesus. The information presented below aims to prove that Jesus was no more than a revered prophet of God, and his “second coming” is a myth. Jesus confirmed his humanity when he reportedly said:“I can of mine own self do nothing...”(John 5:30) Nevertheless, millions (possibly billions) of people in the world today have a vested interest in the “second coming” of Jesus, the very foundation of their belief is riding on this prophecy. As such, his elevation to godly status has some profound implications not only on religion but also on politics, with dire consequences for the future of all humanity.

The Status of Jesus

Jesus was born a Jew, and since he did not preach a new religion or change any laws (Matthew 5:17), he died as a Jew, supposedly betrayed by his own people, who (according to the New Testament) said:“…His blood be on us, and on our children.”(Matthew 27:25) Jesus’ disciples believed that he was the “Messiah” or “Anointed One.” Other titles applied to Jesus were Prophet and Rabbi. According to both the Bible and the Quran (the divine book of Muslims), Jesus came into being through a miraculous virgin birth, i.e., he was born without the intervention of a human father. Both religious texts concur that God has the power to make such miracles happen.

The two texts differ significantly over Jesus’ status. Whereas the New Testament elevated Jesus to divinity, the Quran emphasized his humanity, comparing his creation to that of Adam. Jesus, the son of Mary, delivered the same message as the prophets before him, i.e.,“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord.”(Deuteronomy 6:4) Neither the word “Trinity” nor this doctrine is explicitly found in the New Testament. In fact, the ideology developed over several centuries after the death of Jesus. There are many factors that led to the outcome of the Trinity concept, some of which will be briefly addressed in this article.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min ChristINSANITY is... 227,709
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 min Eman 22,315
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 4 min dirtclod 131
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 32 min Patrick 931
Respecting belief: why should you? And why shou... 2 hr True Christian wi... 20
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 3 hr religionislies 421
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr TheHeadlines 482
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••