|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
The ark was 300 cubits from bow to stern. Here it is in black and white; (three)(hundred)(cubits). Genesis 6:15 This represents a length of around 150m, give or take 5%. At the very outside 150m +/- 10%.
The cubit was a popular ancient unit of measure representing the length of the forearm - from elbow to fingertip. Stature varies, so it seems natural that there were different lengths assigned to the cubit. But this is where the story gets interesting. If Noah really did work in cubits, what would his descendents be using? Cubits of similar lengths. It is no rude shock for the Bible believer that early Egypt used a cubit very similar to Mesopotamia's Babylon. Surprise surprise for the evolutionist, the oversize Royal Egyptian cubit doesn't seem to match any pharaoh yet uncovered. No problem, the ancient scribes were exaggerating again - just like they were with the Ptolemy IV trireme, or the Cheng Ho treasure ships. Perhaps the allegations of exaggeration are a little exaggerated.
Is 150m big? Yes and no. For a timber vessel it is big, but by today's standards it is a standard cargo vessel. A comparison of the ark with various ships shows it is well short of the modern super-tanker, but hovering a little over the records set by timber ships. Noah's ark is big, but not too big.
This is a popular objection. It is true that steel is superior to timber for hull construction, so steel wins for outright size. However, the size limit of timber hulls of the 1800's is a specific one, related to a particular design and outcome. Contrary to popular opinion, timber has the mechanical properties to compete with modern advanced materials when used the right way.
"Yamato" 400 cc Racing Class speedboats were once built from fibreglass. Then they discovered plywood... Now, because it is stronger, lighter and easier to repair than other materials all the boats in this class have plywood hulls.
(NSW Australia)
Clearly timber is strong enough if the structure is suitably thick. This thickness is not too hard to guesstimate either - wood is generally 5-10% as strong as steel, although more difficult to join (can't weld it) See Joining Large Timbers.
A team of Korean naval architects and structural engineers at the world class KRISO facility assessed the ark's proportions for structural feasibility and seakeeping behaviour.(Ref 1). They concluded a 300mm hull wall and 400mm internal structure would make a structure adequate in waves up to 30m (specific wave height). Modern wave data is limited to a maximum of around 11-15m since waves beyond this size are too rare. They say wood is strong enough.
It isn't just a matter of structural strength and ability to withstand structural stress. Wood flexes under pressure. When the timbers comprising the "shell" of the hull flex, water leaks in at the gaps created. Merely applying pitch or tar would be inadequate to seal the gaps that would be created by the flexing of the timbers over that great a length of hull. An ark of the proportions you propose would leak much faster than it could be bailed out. Ask Capt. Edward Smith how that situation worked out for him.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
The ark was 300 cubits from bow to stern. Here it is in black and white; (three)(hundred)(cubits). Genesis 6:15 This represents a length of around 150m, give or take 5%. At the very outside 150m +/- 10%.
According to most scholars they claim a cubit is approximately 18 inches. This would make your boat around 450 feet long.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
The cubit was a popular ancient unit of measure representing the length of the forearm - from elbow to fingertip. Stature varies, so it seems natural that there were different lengths assigned to the cubit. But this is where the story gets interesting. If Noah really did work in cubits, what would his descendents be using? Cubits of similar lengths. It is no rude shock for the Bible believer that early Egypt used a cubit very similar to Mesopotamia's Babylon. Surprise surprise for the evolutionist, the oversize Royal Egyptian cubit doesn't seem to match any pharaoh yet uncovered. No problem, the ancient scribes were exaggerating again - just like they were with the Ptolemy IV trireme, or the Cheng Ho treasure ships. Perhaps the allegations of exaggeration are a little exaggerated.
Yes 18 inches.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Is 150m big? Yes and no. For a timber vessel it is big, but by today's standards it is a standard cargo vessel. A comparison of the ark with various ships shows it is well short of the modern super-tanker, but hovering a little over the records set by timber ships. Noah's ark is big, but not too big.
The ark is grossly under sized to handle millions of animals. So no it is not big.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a popular objection. It is true that steel is superior to timber for hull construction, so steel wins for outright size. However, the size limit of timber hulls of the 1800's is a specific one, related to a particular design and outcome. Contrary to popular opinion, timber has the mechanical properties to compete with modern advanced materials when used the right way.
"Yamato" 400 cc Racing Class speedboats were once built from fibreglass. Then they discovered plywood... Now, because it is stronger, lighter and easier to repair than other materials all the boats in this class have plywood hulls.
(NSW Australia)
Clearly timber is strong enough if the structure is suitably thick. This thickness is not too hard to guesstimate either - wood is generally 5-10% as strong as steel, although more difficult to join (can't weld it) See Joining Large Timbers.
A team of Korean naval architects and structural engineers at the world class KRISO facility assessed the ark's proportions for structural feasibility and seakeeping behaviour.(Ref 1). They concluded a 300mm hull wall and 400mm internal structure would make a structure adequate in waves up to 30m (specific wave height). Modern wave data is limited to a maximum of around 11-15m since waves beyond this size are too rare. They say wood is strong enough.
Yes for such a small boat. Still the boat is no where large enough to hold all that the bible states it should hold.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Bud144-Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, I believe every word of God, the Creator of heaven and earth and EVERYTHING it. Weather you believe it or not, he formed you in your mothers wound and he knows everything about you, that you don't know of yourself.
There are many religions out there, put only one true religion in Christ the Son of God.
I have no fight with my Lord and my God and Father, who is the God of the Spiritual Nation of Israel today that consist of all men , Jews and Gentiles who came through the flood and wrath of the Lamb of in the life of Christ.
When the Lord God Almighty brought us into this new world and raised us from the dead (not physially dead, but dead to the law of works by his cross) he made an everlasting covenant with his new wife in Christ, all men from all nations, tongues, kindred and peoples and put his laws in our hearts and wrote them in our minds and he is a God to us and we don't teach every man his neighbor, for ALL men knoweth the LORD of Israel. The Spiritual Nation of Israel is not a piece of land, it the new wife of God in the life of Christ that many deny today.
Like I tell everyone else, your family was Christians in the body of Christ in the beginning of this new world. You left him as did the RCC's, OC's and PC's and are trying to get saved again by another gospel and many more are rising up today and others ae leaving him all together. They are just giving up the Holy Spirit of grace of everlasting life in this new world.
dude...what?

(my favorite part is how we are all formed in our mother's "wound" - babies come from paper cuts! Who knew?)

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Bud144-Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the book of Colossians, Chapter 1, pay attention to verse 23, for all have heard, so you have no excuse. Only you god (Satan) will keep you from seeing the truth.
I pray you repent and come back to him.
Why should I read your religious horsesh*t? You lie about god and continue to lie about it with no proof whatsover.

You preach morals with one breath, but you're a liar plain and simple when it comes to backing up any of your religious bullsh*t..
Mr Smartypants

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Really, folks, anybody who takes the Noah's Ark story as literal truth is so batshit insane that it's not worth the effort to try and browbeat them...
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Prove the god you've already chosen to lie about or f*ck off, its been that simple since the dawn of time.
Please just leave
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Mr Smartypants wrote:
Really, folks, anybody who takes the Noah's Ark story as literal truth is so batshit insane that it's not worth the effort to try and browbeat them...
I take it literal.

Oh look I'm not batshit insane. Hmmmm
This can only mean that yet another atheist has lied. No surprise.

And I have no problem meeting you and going to a doctor to prove my state of mined. Lets see would Mayo work for you? It's just down the road for you.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it literal.
And I have no problem meeting you and going to a doctor to prove my state of mined. Lets see would Mayo work for you? It's just down the road for you.
I do not see how you can take it literal.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

anglo saxon wrote:
<quoted text>KJV, what a fool you are!, Noahs ark with Dinosaurs aboard, pathetic. Educate your self you retarded hill Billy
How big is a dinosaur that might have been on the ark?

What's the problem with dinosaurs being on the ark?

You do know that reptiles grow their whole life? You understand that the pre-flood world was a much different place then today's earth don't you?

Noah was over 600 years old before the flood. Look at the ages of everyone listed in the bible before the flood and then note the sharp change in life spans after the flood, why is that? Why a 500 to 700 year difference in the age of humans before and after the flood?

If Noah had dinosaurs on the ark then where are they today?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should I read your religious horsesh*t? You lie about god and continue to lie about it with no proof whatsover.
You preach morals with one breath, but you're a liar plain and simple when it comes to backing up any of your religious bullsh*t..
Hi, I will tell you again, my proof is the word of God (OT and NT) weather you believe it or not. You have to proof its NOT the word of the living and true God, Creator of all things. Your not gone again me, but the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb, everlasting Father in the Holy Ghost. Its his almighty word from heaven, not from man.

You are already proofing the word of God is truth, for he said the day will come when they will not love the truth any more and have no more faith and deny the divine power of God. THATS three reasons its the word of God. Atheist and other religions are living proof.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>I do not see how you can take it literal.
That's ok I just believe the word of God.
Mr Smartypants

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it literal.
Yes you are batshit insane. Harvey the Invisible Rabbit told me so. And, besides, if you take the insane fairy tale of Noah's Ark seriously, you are really goddam messed in the head. Besides, retard, it's "mind", not "mined".

And, yes, the Mayo is about 60 miles from me--just more proof that Minnesotans are smarter than the folks in whatever inbred state you're from.
God

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a moron and I'm going to open up a Can o' Smite-Ass on you for being a retard before I send you to the inbred idiot branch of Hell.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea but there is no such thing the word of a god.

With this thoughts of hearing and seeing things that are not there as well as the stories of make-believe happenings that you think actually happened. You are beginning to worry me that you may have delusional thoughts. You can get help for that, or might just grow out of it, but you need to see reality and the truth before it is too late for you.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Please just leave
You'd like the atheist, to leave the atheist threads, in the atheist forum? Am I reading this correctly? LOL!

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>You'd like the atheist, to leave the atheist threads, in the atheist forum? Am I reading this correctly? LOL!
Yep, nobody has ever accused KJV of having an over abundance of brain cells.
Amused

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Mr Smartypants wrote:
Of course it is worth the effort. Bible literalists are a veritable pinata of stupid. Give them a whack and all kinds of fun nuggets of stupid come raining down.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Noah was over 600 years old before the flood. Look at the ages of everyone listed in the bible before the flood and then note the sharp change in life spans after the flood, why is that? Why a 500 to 700 year difference in the age of humans before and after the flood?
Because they're fictional stories.

Why were there dragons and unicorns then but none now?
Why were there talking snakes then but not now?
Why was there a god actively involved in the Earth's business, but no signs of one now?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
How big is a dinosaur that might have been on the ark?
What's the problem with dinosaurs being on the ark?
You do know that reptiles grow their whole life? You understand that the pre-flood world was a much different place then today's earth don't you?
If Noah had dinosaurs on the ark then where are they today?
Show us all with your mighty intelligence where the bible refers to dinosaurs.

Oh yeah that's right because scientists advanced human understanding by picking up a shovel and digging, while theists put their hands together and got high imagining up all kinds of sh*t before writing it down and angrily distributing it as the "word of god".

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
DO you believe that ALL liars are heading into the lake of fire?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,401 - 1,420 of4,534
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••