Comments
2,581 - 2,600 of 4,507 Comments Last updated Nov 12, 2013
Lincoln

United States

#2781 Mar 10, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
No living human has ever seen a flood as described in the Bible but that doesn't stop many of them asserting that it really happened.
Neither does it stop them pointing to a geological feature like the Grand Canyon and claiming it is evidence of the same flood.
I guess you don't do that.
Good for you.
"No living human has ever seen a flood as described in the Bible..."

Now there
is an earth
shaking
comment :-)

Discover this on your own, die we?

Keep posting!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#2782 Mar 10, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Godbot ploy 999, shift the goal posts and the screen name too.
:)
Lol

You're spot on; that's exactly what they do.

Their arguments are so weak they lack the fortitude to stand their ground - which explains why the vast majority of them are unregistered and posting under a variety of different names.
2%

United States

#2783 Mar 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Irrelevant. Pi is a number between 3 and 4. It is also between 3.1 and 3.2. It is also between 3.14 and 3.15. It is also between 3.1415926 and 3.1415927.

So, 3.1415926 is a much better approximation of pi than, say, 3 is. More precisely, 3 is off by about 5% and 3.1415926 is off by about .000002%.
Ahhh the Pi thing.

" Once in Indiana. Although the attempt to legislate pi was ultimately unsuccessful, it did come pretty close. In 1897 Representative T.I. Record of Posen county introduced House Bill #246 in the Indiana House of Representatives. The bill, based on the work of a physician and amateur mathematician named Edward J. Goodwin (Edwin in some accounts), suggests not one but three numbers for pi, among them 3.2, as we shall see. The punishment for unbelievers I have not been able to learn, but I place no credence in the rumor that you had to spend the rest of your natural life in Indiana.

Just as people today have a hard time accepting the idea that the speed of light is the speed limit of the universe, Goodwin and Record apparently couldn't handle the fact that pi was not a rational number. "Since the rule in present use [presumably pi equals 3.14159...] fails to work ..., it should be discarded as wholly wanting and misleading in the practical applications," the bill declared. Instead, mathematically inclined Hoosiers could take their pick among the following formulae:

(1) The ratio of the diameter of a circle to its circumference is 5/4 to 4. In other words, pi equals 16/5 or 3.2

(2) The area of a circle equals the area of a square whose side is 1/4 the circumference of the circle. Working this out algebraically, we see that pi must be equal to 4.

(3) The ratio of the length of a 90 degree arc to the length of a segment connecting the arc's two endpoints is 8 to 7. This gives us pi equal to the square root of 2 x 16/7, or about 3.23.

There may have been other values for pi as well; the bill was so confusingly written that it's impossible to tell exactly what Goodwin was getting at. Mathematician David Singmaster says he found six different values in the bill, plus three more in Goodwin's other writings and comments, for a total of nine.

Lord knows how all this was supposedly to clarify pi or anything else, but as we shall see, they do things a little differently in Indiana. Bill #246 was initially sent to the Committee on Swamp Lands. The committee deliberated gravely on the question, decided it was not the appropriate body to consider such a measure and turned it over to the Committee on Education. The latter committee gave the bill a "pass" recommendation and sent it on to the full House, which approved it unanimously, 67 to 0.

In the state Senate, the bill was referred to the Committee on Temperance.(One begins to suspect it was silly season in the Indiana legislature at the time.) It passed first reading, but that's as far as it got. According to The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers, the bill "was held up before a second reading due to the intervention of C.A. Waldo, a professor of mathematics [at Purdue] who happened to be passing through." Waldo, describing the experience later, wrote, "A member [of the legislature] then showed the writer [i.e., Waldo] a copy of the bill just passed and asked him if he would like an introduction to the learned doctor, its author. He declined the courtesy with thanks, remarking that he was acquainted with as many crazy people as he cared to know."

You're fool for arguing what Pi is
The number used for Pi can be any
Number on the Pi chart.
2%

United States

#2784 Mar 10, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
[QUOTE who="2%"]<quoted text>
So there is flooding going on, "still" on Mar? Or you're making this SH!t up?
"

Godbot ploy 999, shift the goal posts.
Why?
2%

United States

#2785 Mar 10, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>No living human has ever seen a flood as described in the Bible but that doesn't stop many of them asserting that it really happened.

Neither does it stop them pointing to a geological feature like the Grand Canyon and claiming it is evidence of the same flood.

I guess you don't do that.

Good for you.
At least the flood on earth was documented by living humans at the the time of the flood. I've not read any eye witness accounts for a flood on mars. If you know of any please point them out.
I would love to read it.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#2786 Mar 10, 2013
At least the flood on earth was documented by living humans at the the time of the flood. I've not read any eye witness accounts for a flood on mars. If you know of any please point them out.
I would love to read it.[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends which particular flood was documented.

The point I was making was more to do with the Grand Canyon.

Most YECs I've come across believe that something as large as the Grand Canyon could only have been created by a catastrophic worldwide flood.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2787 Mar 10, 2013
Ahhh the Pi thing.
" Once in Indiana. Although the attempt to legislate pi was ultimately unsuccessful, it did come pretty close. In 1897 Representative T.I. Record of Posen county introduced House Bill #246 in the Indiana House of Representatives. The bill, based on the work of a physician and amateur mathematician named Edward J. Goodwin (Edwin in some accounts), suggests not one but three numbers for pi, among them 3.2, as we shall see. The punishment for unbelievers I have not been able to learn, but I place no credence in the rumor that you had to spend the rest of your natural life in Indiana.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, and Indiana has been a laughing stock over this since that time.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#2788 Mar 10, 2013
Die we?

Any chance you can say that again in English KJV, 2% and all the other screen names you use?
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
"No living human has ever seen a flood as described in the Bible..."
Now there
is an earth
shaking
comment :-)
Discover this on your own, die we?
Keep posting!
Lincoln

United States

#2789 Mar 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Die we?
Any chance you can say that again in English KJV, 2% and all the other screen names you use?
<quoted text>
Lincoln is it.

You seem troubled by your lack of control over others?
Peace

Lexington, KY

#2790 Mar 10, 2013
I know! Those corn farmers dropped the ball that time!
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and Indiana has been a laughing stock over this since that time.
Givemelibberty

United States

#2791 Mar 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Die we?

I should be elected King because I have A Johnson I can use for a belt and a tie at the same time.

Lexington, KY

#2792 Mar 10, 2013
Well I am honest enough to state my stance on issues unlike....
Givemelibberty wrote:
<quoted text>
I should be elected King because I have A Johnson I can use for a belt and a tie at the same time.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2793 Mar 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I know! Those corn farmers dropped the ball that time!
<quoted text>
Most legislators know little or nothing about math or science. So they take the word of those they think are experts. In this case, they accepted the word of someone who was completely unqualified. To be fair, once actual mathematicians pointed out the flaws, the bill was tabled.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#2794 Mar 10, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
"Godbot" comments do no credit to the intelligence of atheists but may reveal the tone of the poster ?
Our intellegence level, is already established(collectively of course).

"Tone" again? It "may reveal the tone"? Big whoop! And geez what a dimwit you are.

Think, think, think, challenge us with something new, anything new!
The same old, same old god bot routine is boring

Lexington, KY

#2795 Mar 10, 2013
There was that senator who told Bill Maher that you didn't have to understand science to be a senator.

Wow just wow.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Most legislators know little or nothing about math or science. So they take the word of those they think are experts. In this case, they accepted the word of someone who was completely unqualified. To be fair, once actual mathematicians pointed out the flaws, the bill was tabled.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#2796 Mar 10, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
You're spot on; that's exactly what they do.
Their arguments are so weak they lack the fortitude to stand their ground - which explains why the vast majority of them are unregistered and posting under a variety of different names.
And they never can tell, how we know this.

:D
Givemelibberty

United States

#2797 Mar 11, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Die we?

Try and keep up
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#2798 Mar 11, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
...Their arguments are so weak they lack the fortitude to stand their ground - which explains why the vast majority of them are unregistered and posting under a variety of different names.
I think I've counted three religionists who deny having religious faith but defend it for all they're worth. That's not just weak it's disingenuous or downright dishonest. It seems to be a relatively new phenomenon. They aren't worth engaging with in my opinion.

We need to bear in mind some may be children or have some mental issue, but most just seem to be nuts.

(Did you hear Ed Miliband trying to defend child mutilation of British children? Quote, "These are important traditions ways of life must be preserved")
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/03/sec...

(How'd you like Ed Miliband for PM and Ed Balls in the Exchequer?:-)
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#2799 Mar 11, 2013
It makes a mockery of the PM's pledge of 35m to stop FGM. Ending child abuse should be bigger than party politics.

In New York recently, orthodox jewish grandparents required a dead baby to be circumcised before it was buried. Mad buggers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-216... (read last line)
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I think I've counted three religionists who deny having religious faith but defend it for all they're worth. That's not just weak it's disingenuous or downright dishonest. It seems to be a relatively new phenomenon. They aren't worth engaging with in my opinion.
We need to bear in mind some may be children or have some mental issue, but most just seem to be nuts.
(Did you hear Ed Miliband trying to defend child mutilation of British children? Quote, "These are important traditions ways of life must be preserved")
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/03/sec...
(How'd you like Ed Miliband for PM and Ed Balls in the Exchequer?:-)

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#2800 Mar 12, 2013
[QUOTE who="2%"]<quoted text>So there is flooding going on, "still" on Mar? Or you're making this SH!t up?[/QUOTE]

Don't listen to this children.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min Patrick 226,536
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Patrick 21,519
The myth of the angry atheist 6 hr _Bad Company 3
Our world came from nothing? 10 hr Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 10 hr Patrick 13
The Ultimate Evidence of God 13 hr Thinking 67
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••