Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#2525 Feb 19, 2013
Don't you know? Do I have to tell you everything?
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Either way, what do you get when you round it to the nearest whole number ?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#2526 Feb 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Don't you know? Do I have to tell you everything?
<quoted text>
Yup. So, please be useful.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#2527 Feb 19, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Either way, what do you get when you round it to the nearest whole number ?
People keep asking that as though it were an apt question. It is not. The biblical passage in question does not give a value for pi, only the dimensions of a circular pool that are clearly wrong. Therefore, the value of pi is not the real issue. The issue is whether the Bible is infallible. In this instance, it is not.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2528 Feb 19, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
In today's math yes. If you don't have fractions or decimal points and use elbow to finger tip as a ruler then 30 cubits would be accurate because Pi could and would only be "3".
What you don't seem to understand is that no multiplication by pi is required. Nor is it mentioned in the Bible. What is mentioned is the distance across (10 cubits) and the distance around (30 cubits). Both could be measured directly.

But now you have a problem. If the distance across is 10 cubits, the distance around would be just over 31 cubits. Again, this could be obtained by direct measurement, with no multiplication by anything. For the distance around to be rounded down to 30 cubits, the distance across has to be less than 10 cubits by about a third of a cubit: clearly something they would have noticed.

Either way, the Biblical account is not reliable. Either the distance around is larger than what was claimed or the distance across is significantly smaller than what was claimed.

Now, it is possible that they only measured the distance across, then multiplied by the rounded value of pi to get the (approximate) distance around, but that is even unlikely for that time period: they would have preferred to do the measurement directly.

Once again, I think the whole argument on this is just silly. There are far worse errors in the Bible than being off by a cubit in the distance around a vat. The lack of a global flood, for example. The lack of an exodus, as another.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#2529 Feb 19, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
Well - you won't get a circle with a ratio of 3:1 for the circumference:diameter.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#2530 Feb 19, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>What is pi (3.14) rounded to the nearest whole number?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jG7vhMMXagQXX&list=UUOGeU -1Fig3rrDjhm9Zs_wg&index=4 5

No need for utube I know what it is.

Location hidden

#2531 Feb 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>What is pi (~3.14)

or

What is pi (3.14...)

would be more correct.
The hell with it, I'm eating cake from now on!

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#2532 Feb 19, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
People keep asking that as though it were an apt question. It is not. The biblical passage in question does not give a value for pi, only the dimensions of a circular pool that are clearly wrong. Therefore, the value of pi is not the real issue. The issue is whether the Bible is infallible. In this instance, it is not.
Finally! Thank you. I find the whole, "The Bible says that Pi=3", argument to be annoying.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#2533 Feb 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Well - you won't get a circle with a ratio of 3:1 for the circumference:diameter.
Not my point. Nightserf already figured it out.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#2534 Feb 20, 2013
The bible says pi=3.
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Finally! Thank you. I find the whole, "The Bible says that Pi=3", argument to be annoying.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#2535 Feb 20, 2013
They say you are what you eat, and you have clearly eaten something very stupid indeed.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
The hell with it, I'm eating cake from now on!

Location hidden

#2536 Feb 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>The bible says pi=3.
It is.

You give me the actual number for Pi if 3 is not Pi.

Location hidden

#2537 Feb 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>They say you are what you eat, and you have clearly eaten something very stupid indeed.
Like Atheist brains? How did you know?
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#2539 Feb 20, 2013
The number &#960; is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
It is.
You give me the actual number for Pi if 3 is not Pi.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#2540 Feb 20, 2013
You are a proven liar, a post changing POS.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Like Atheist brains? How did you know?

Location hidden

#2541 Feb 20, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Finally! Thank you. I find the whole, "The Bible says that Pi=3", argument to be annoying.
Of course the Bible would be only wrong if the it was teaching math problems in a 2D world. The item discussed is a real world item where the diameter and circumstances may have and most likely were measured one around the outside and the other straight across the inside thus giving the bowl a thickness capable if holding the water. A 2D item could not make that claim. Unless it was SZ.

Location hidden

#2542 Feb 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>The number &#960; is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.
Give me the number for Pi if you claim my number is wrong.

Waiting!

Location hidden

#2543 Feb 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>You are a proven liar, a post changing POS.
I didn't change that post.

And no it's not POS it's PHD.

Go Figure.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2544 Feb 21, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me the number for Pi if you claim my number is wrong.
Waiting!
Its not a claim its a fact.

Location hidden

#2546 Feb 21, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Its not a claim its a fact.
Give me your number for Pi
If you claim I'm wrong.

If you fail to answer the question with the corrected data then we will all know I'm correct.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 18 min _Bad Company 141
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 35 min woodtick57 2,410
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 41 min thetruth 34
God' existence 43 min thetruth 67
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 55 min thetruth 142
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 58 min thetruth 232,879
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 16 hr _Bad Company 23,198
More from around the web