Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yikes, of course that's what I mean.
And yes, I agree with the fact that the whole discussion is silly. They used a standard approximation to pi current at the time.
But the 'whole number' circumference of a circle with diameter 10 cubits would be 31 cubits.
And the whole number diameter of a circle with a 30 cubit circumference would be 10 (rounded from about 9.55), wouldn't it? Still, I remember noting the error when I first read it at the age of about 12.
Tyson

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

KJV wrote:
"The evidence for the flood is so overwhelming that I can’t possibly scratch the surface in this study. Instead of going through a long explanation of the flood, I am going to address 5 commonly asked skeptical questions and then conclude with what we observe scientifically and follow up with a possible scenario. We can never go back and see what actually happened, we can only piece together bits of this puzzle and conclude what we believe is the most plausible explanation. Both the biblical account and the evolutionary account take faith to believe. My hope is that when you look at the obvious evidence, you will conclude that it takes more faith to hold on to skeptical beliefs than it does to believe the Bible. With this in mind, let’s look at 5 common flood questions."
http://www.exchangedlife.com/2012/10/19/the-f...
Just getting in on this debate. So I have an obligation to respond to the original post. I'm not a scientist, however have a basic level of understanding of reason. Not sure how old you believe the Earth to be? Just looking at the math you proposed it would have taken Everest around 70,000 years to form. So either you believe the biblical flood took place a long time ago. Or, god distorted the face of the planet violently over a very short time in which science has proven otherwise. My other issue with the "flood". I will propose a question. What happens when you over water a plant? It Dies right? Now we have a planet with all its dry land dwelling life under water for 40 days and 40 night. Essentially killing all plant life. Plants we know provide all living things with oxygen. I haven't heard of any scientific evidence for all land dwelling plant life dying off at the same time due to a flood. However, if when the waters drained away as you argue, we would find no living plant life or very little that would not be able to produce sufficient oxygen to support the re-population of the planet.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Irrelevant: that's not what your bible said. Your bible says pi=3, not that pi rounds to 3.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
If I give you a math problem and I state use only whole numbers.
10*(Pi whole number)=30
And you claim I'm wrong the answer is 31. I would flunk your azz.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Question: "Why don't you f**k off?"
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell you what, you're locked in a room with only two doors, door A and door B.
there are also two computers in the room, computer 1 and computer 2.
One of the computers is programmed to always lie no matter what. While the other computer will tell the truth no matter what.
If you open the wrong door you're dead.
You are allowed to ask one computer one question to make it out of the room safely.
What would that question be?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>The Jews considered Christianity a cult when it appeared.
Rather odd. When the Christians faith
First appeared they were known as Jews.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Standard old question.

Ask either computer: which door would the other computer say is the door to death? The answer is the safe door.

OK, one for you. A man is looking at a picture. Another man asks who is portrayed in the picture. The first man says: "brothers and sisters I have none, but that man's father is my father's son". Who is in the picture?
His Dad.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>And don't think I didn't notice that you avoided the question:

If the diameter of a circle is 10 meters, what is the 'whole number' diameter of that circle?
I didn't think you were serious.
Your last question said cubits by the way.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>This is an old chestnut. You ask computer 1 which door computer 2 would say is the deadly one and use it. If computer 1 is truthful, it will report the lie that computer 2 would tell. If computer 2 is the liar, it will lie about the truth that computer 1 would tell. Either way, you will get a lie from the responding computer and thus know the truth.
To put it simply.

Two negatives equal a positive.
Two positives equal a positive.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Yikes, of course that's what I mean.

And yes, I agree with the fact that the whole discussion is silly. They used a standard approximation to pi current at the time.

But the 'whole number' circumference of a circle with diameter 10 cubits would be 31 cubits.
Only if you use Pi with decimal points.
If you use the whole number of Pi "3"
Then you would have 30.
I know this is Impossible for you to grasp but that passage was written for a people that didn't use decimal points.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Try going to work on Dec 25th, what nobody there......
How is it possible for me to be in a cult when follow no god or so called religious leader.
ps. learn to use the spell checker.
you still participate in the worship when you do the celebrations..

so unless you do not participate in halloween christmas valentines day etc...
cult definition
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

so if you participate in any holidays, you are worshipping the gods that they orginate from.
the ceremonies and practices remain the same.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Tyson wrote:
<quoted text>Just getting in on this debate. So I have an obligation to respond to the original post. I'm not a scientist, however have a basic level of understanding of reason. Not sure how old you believe the Earth to be? Just looking at the math you proposed it would have taken Everest around 70,000 years to form. So either you believe the biblical flood took place a long time ago. Or, god distorted the face of the planet violently over a very short time in which science has proven otherwise. My other issue with the "flood". I will propose a question. What happens when you over water a plant? It Dies right? Now we have a planet with all its dry land dwelling life under water for 40 days and 40 night. Essentially killing all plant life. Plants we know provide all living things with oxygen. I haven't heard of any scientific evidence for all land dwelling plant life dying off at the same time due to a flood. However, if when the waters drained away as you argue, we would find no living plant life or very little that would not be able to produce sufficient oxygen to support the re-population of the planet.
Nice to get back to the point of the thread.

The Bible does claim a quick raising up of the land and dropping or lowering of the ocean floors. This would explain how the flood was able to cover the highest mountains, they were much smaller before God raised them up after the flood. Note: the claims found on top of Everest proof that it was under water.

Now the plant life.
Before the flood there might have been a type of ice canopy surrounding the earth creating a green house effect making all of earth flush with huge plant life. The flood would have killed these off and covered them in mud creating lots of coal and oil.

Now how could 500 million year old coal have man mad items inside of it?

"A fossilized human skull was found in coal that was sold in Germany (mid-1800s). A jawbone of a child was found in coal in Tuscany (1958). Two giant human molars were found in Montana (1926). A human leg was found by a West Virginia coal miner. It had changed into coal.�pp. 34-35.

A woman, in Illinois, reportedly found a gold chain in a chunk of coal which broke open (1891). A small steel cube was found in a block of coal in Austria (1885). An iron pot was found in coal in Oklahoma (1912). A woman found a child's spoon in coal (1937).�p. 35.

In 1944 Newton Anderson claimed to have found this bell inside a lump of coal that was mined near his house in West Virginia. When Newton dropped the lump it broke, revealing a bell encased inside.

What is a brass bell with an iron clapper doing in coal that is supposed to be hundreds of

millions of years old? According to Norm Scharbough's book Ammunition (which includes a compilation of many such "coal anecdotes") the bell was extensively analyzed at the University of Oklahoma and it was found to contain an unusual mixture of metals, different from any modern usage. Photo and text from Genesis Park.

Man-made objects in rock.

An iron nail was found in a Cretaceous block from the Mesozoic era (mid-1800s). A gold thread was found in stone in England (1844). An iron nail was found in quartz in California (1851). A silver vessel was found in solid rock in Massachusetts (1851).

The mold of a metal screw was found in a chunk of feldspar (1851). An intricately carved and inlaid metal bowl was found in solid rock (1852). An iron nail was found in rock in a Peruvian mine by Spanish conquistadores (1572).�pp. 35-36."

http://s8int.com/page8.html

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
His Dad.
Wrong.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you would have 30.
I know this is Impossible for you to grasp but that passage was written for a people that didn't use decimal points.
No, it isn't impossible for me to grasp. The people involved didn't even have a name for the ratio, so the whole argument is silly. As Night Serf pointed out, if you have a diameter that rounds to 10 cubits, the rounded circumference can be anything from 30 to 33 cubits.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

If you went trick or treat you're part of the occult? No.
Yellowknightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
you still participate in the worship when you do the celebrations..
so unless you do not participate in halloween christmas valentines day etc...
cult definition
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
so if you participate in any holidays, you are worshipping the gods that they orginate from.
the ceremonies and practices remain the same.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you would have 30.
Your bible is wrong about Pi. It's wrong about everything. How can we expect accuracy from a cult that dismisses atheists as fools without even bothering to know them?
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

The bible says birds have four legs. What rounding error caused that?
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you would have 30.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>No, it isn't impossible for me to grasp. The people involved didn't even have a name for the ratio, so the whole argument is silly. As Night Serf pointed out, if you have a diameter that rounds to 10 cubits, the rounded circumference can be anything from 30 to 33 cubits.
No you are not following simple math rules. In this math problem you must use only whole number. That does not mean you round off the answer you round off all numbers before you work the equation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Irrelevant: that's not what your bible said. Your bible says pi=3, not that pi rounds to 3.
Yup, you're dumb!

Thanks for confirming it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Question: "Why don't you f**k off?"
You do know that a question mark at the end of a sentence means that it's a question, right? See just like that!

You don't have to type the word question before the sentence.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

That?
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that a question mark at the end of a sentence means that it's a question, right? See just like that!
You don't have to type the word question before the sentence.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,261 - 2,280 of4,522
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••