|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"BUT these theories do quite well anywhere other than the event horizon and singularities of black holes and the beginning of the universe. They are quite valid *theories* about gravity and how the subatomic world works. No *observation* has ever violated the predictions of either. And *that* is the standard of science."
"Stephen Hawking states, "you can disprove a theory by finding even a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory"
I should point out that you didn't answer my questions.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Stephen Hawking states, "you can disprove a theory by finding even a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory"
One problem is that a general theory, like QM or GR, has many specifics that are determined in other ways. For example, GR requires information about the thermodynamic properties of matter, light, etc as inputs. QM requires things like the masses of the electrons, quarks, etc.

The micro-black hole prediction of string theory was based on *one* set of additional assumptions. These assumptions were not considered reasonable by many people working in string theory, so the fact that micro black holes have not been found only shows *those* assumptions are wrong, not string theory in general.

In modeling dark matter, GR makes the assumption that it has very similar thermodynamics properties as usual matter. From that assumption together with the overarching theory of GR, we can get predictions that can be tested. In fact, the LCDM model (Lambda =dark energy, Cold Dark Matter) agrees with all observations that we have right now. But if, for example, the thermodynamic properties of dark energy turn out not to be what we thought, we only have to input the *new* properties into the GR equations to get new predictions based on the new properties. To eliminate GR, we would have to find evidence at the heart of GR without additional assumptions.

In the same way, QM is an overarching theory. It can apply to a vast array of situations, and uses the properties of each situation as inputs. If, though, we happen to have the wrong value for the decay time of a neutron, QM will give wrong answers to some questions. Those wrong answers do not harm QM itself because the decay times input were wrong. To invalidate QM itself would require an observation where QM gives wrong answers and where the assumptions required for the input are known to be correct.

The problem with your examples (black hole singularities, etc) is that we simply don't know the correct conditions to *input* into GR and QM. That alone does not invalidate either theory. But, without actual observations we cannot know what the *real* values are for the inputs.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Again those were all quotes from science sources. No creationism was inserted or implied I was strictly talking science. I see now that that's impossible with the creationist lynch mob here.
Yes, and you misunderstood all of them.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Since: Mar 11

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Because you, based on misconceptions about relativity and QM, dismiss them in favor of creationism"
Because I? LOL
Those quotes all came from science papers or science shows. I never inserted one creation item in those post.
You sound like a broken record. Your hatred towards anything or one that is Theist is showing.
I'll wait for you to respond to Poly's comments on those quotes - but I found it quite funny that one of them was the introduction to the problem of these theories that was then solved later...and you only provided the explanation of the problem part. Cherry picking! Very fun :)

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. You don't seem to understand the theories you are discussing haven't been disproved.

You also don't seem to understand that future theories will build on top of these ones, taking contemporary observations about the universe into their models.

Meaning that the universe's ancient age will be narrowed down to 13.7 billion, with a smaller margin of error. Meaning that humans evolved like all other animals and we'll just understand the details better. That the Biblical Flood never happened.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course the Bible contradicts itself.
Ephesians 6:2 Honour thy father and mother
No problems. I can do that.
Luke 14:26 "“If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple."
There's Jesus telling us to hate our parents.
Contradiction
Luke 14 " Now great crowds were traveling with him, and he turned and said to them: 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own soul,*+ he cannot be my disciple.+ 27 Whoever is not carrying his torture stake* and coming after me cannot be my disciple.+ 28 For example, who of YOU that wants to build a tower does not first sit down and calculate the expense,+ to see if he has enough to complete it?

clearly he was giving an illustration. These illustration have a meaning and are not to be taken literal.

if you read the WHOLE account he was talking to those who wanted to follow him you have to give 100 percent.

all you did was twist one one scripture , You have to read the whole thing if you want to get the sense of it.

matthew 4;5 Then the Devil took him along into the holy city,+ and he stationed him upon the battlement of the temple 6 and said to him:“If you are a son of God, hurl yourself down;+ for it is written,‘He will give his angels a charge concerning you, and they will carry you on their hands, that you may at no time strike your foot against a stone.’”

satan twisted scriptures as well. Was he right in his interpretation ,No he wasnt he had a wrong motive behind itand jesus did not fall for it.

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Ah yes the tired old apologetic lie about sometimes the bible is being literal while other times it's being figurative. And who decides which is which?

The apologetic at his whim.

Pathetic.
Yellowknightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
clearly he was giving an illustration. These illustration have a meaning and are not to be taken literal.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Ah yes the tired old apologetic lie about sometimes the bible is being literal while other times it's being figurative. And who decides which is which?
Pathetic.
<quoted text>
Lol

That's what it comes down to.

I wonder if the Bible is giving an illustration when it says that bats are birds and insects have six legs?

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Well what do you expect from ancient sheep lickers who thought you could build a tower that would reach into Yahweh's living room?

I guess they thought about 100 feet off the ground you could climb up and poke your head through a cloud and say, hey Yahweh WAZZUP???!!!

:)). Lmfao!
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
That's what it comes down to.
I wonder if the Bible is giving an illustration when it says that bats are birds and insects have six legs?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Pathetic.
<quoted text>
Did you take literature or english in school ?
Im pretty sure you did.

The bible is literal symbolic, similie metaphores, allegories illustrations and so much more.

For example when jesus said" your house is abadoned to you oh isreal"

Common sense will tell the whole nation of isreal cannot be in a house so he meant that his father is no longer with them.
Meaning they are no longer his people.

because isreal or the jews made covenant with God , theybswore to only servw as nation but as time went they served others gods ,idol worship,
Baal eorship divination fortune telling omens etc he Yahweh commanded them to stay away from that... In a sense they basically married which is why isreal is dipicted as a woman who has commited adulterey on her husband..

Jesus was sent to make anew convenant with people because they were just doing rituals that were obselete . those traditions were only required because of the mosaic law which was for them to be clean.

the bible is not a lie, it was written in ancient hebrew aramic and greek.. Many words in hebrew and greek do not exist in english .

For example hail ..in greek it just means the grave..

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

And Darth Vader told Luke. No Luke. I am your father.

But who cares what fictional characters say be it Darth Vader or Jesus? Although when it comes to fictional people Darth Vader was by far a better person than Jesus.

And yes we can tell the difference between an obvious metaphor in your fictional book the bible vs when they are speaking literal. Jesus and Paul approving of slavery is not metaphorical it is literal. Yahweh/Jesus commanding the Israelites to rape the young daughters of war victims or put every baby to the sword is not metaphorical.

You need to really read your book of myths known as the bible. Really read it with a skeptical mind and not just the warm fuzzy passages the preacher says to.
Yellowknightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Im pretty sure you did.
The bible is literal symbolic, similie metaphores, allegories illustrations and so much more.
Common sense will tell the whole nation of isreal cannot be in a house so he meant that his father is no longer with them.
because isreal or the jews made covenant with God , theybswore to only servw as nation but as time went they served others gods ,idol worship,
Baal eorship divination fortune telling omens etc he Yahweh commanded them to stay away from that... In a sense they basically married which is why isreal is dipicted as a woman who has commited adulterey on her husband..
Jesus was sent to make anew convenant with people because they were just doing rituals that were obselete . those traditions were only required because of the mosaic law which was for them to be clean.
the bible is not a lie, it was written in ancient hebrew aramic and greek.. Many words in hebrew and greek do not exist in english .

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Reason Personified wrote:
.. and Moses didn't know. Just ask an Egyptian, and they will say "Moses who?". No exodus ... go figure.
You can fin the tetragram of yahweh YHWH featured in the egyptian writings.

The egyptians wouldnt record a loss, Which is why most battles they lost would not be recorded..

However they did fight some of their battles in Meghiddo.
one of the proofs of the 10 plegs is that in egypt they have green gyms all around,
Those gyms are formed when lightening at a certain heat hits the sand.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

spidersandsnakes wrote:
<quoted text>
The egyptians wouldnt record a loss, Which is why most battles they lost would not be recorded..
one of the proofs of the 10 plegs is that in egypt they have green gyms all around,
Wrong!

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

He went way into the deep end there ya?
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong!
Amused

North Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

spidersandsnakes wrote:
<quoted text>
Gyms are formed when enough people feel the need to get into shape and assemble the requisite number of iron plates and iron bars to accomplish that purpose. Plus, some cardio machines would be nice. And maybe a couple of heavy bags.

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Yellowknightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Im pretty sure you did.
So how are we supposed to tell which part of the bible to take literally or not?
Amused

North Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
So how are we supposed to tell which part of the bible to take literally or not?
When you become a True Christian (tm) they give you a secret decoder ring so you can see which bits are to be believed as literally true and which are to be considered "allegory" or "symbolic" or some other such term. I guess the real dividing line is whether the True Christian (tm) can say it with a straight face, and without having those around him/her break out in laughter.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
He went way into the deep end there ya?
<quoted text>
Most definitely
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, you. None of the quotes you gave support creationism in any way. They show that our current theories are not the final version and is ALL they say. But, any new theory will still agree with the current ones when the current ones give good answers. In other words, there will still be a hot Big bang and quantum indeterminacy. Whatever changes happen will be for *incredibly* high temperatures and densities.
The fact is QM, GR, ST don't hold up in all places in our universe.
This means they're close guesses but not accurate.

Care to explain how the laws of physics did not apply until a what is it a split second after the universe existed?

Other then the obvious answer that science has to make this "untestable" claim (lie) in order for their guesses of the Big Bang to have worked. We call that bad science.

Drink the kool-aid.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>And the planets will still orbit the sun is paths very close to ellipses. And we can still use Newton's laws to send probes to mars, Jupiter, or Pluto.
Oh well then I guess we're done then. No further work needs to be done if we can as you say send probes to mars!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,161 - 2,180 of4,522
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••