What

Aldrich, MO

#2163 Jan 10, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it any wounder we just laugh at you?
The ungodly laughed at Noah too, but then the rains began. And as Jesus said in the end times it shall be as in the days of Noah.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#2164 Jan 10, 2013
Hissy fit gods like yours are pathetic.
What wrote:
<quoted text>
The ungodly laughed at Noah too, but then the rains began. And as Jesus said in the end times it shall be as in the days of Noah.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#2166 Jan 10, 2013
The redwoods in America are more than enough proof there was no global flood. These ancient trees could not have survived such a flood.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#2168 Jan 10, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"As the harsh wind whistles around the ancient, branched giants, visitors can’t help experience a sense of awe, faced with the trees' magnificence. This humbling feeling is well justified: these trees are older than any other single living organism known to man. And, as the visitors come and go, the wise old trees simply stand, impassive, as if gently guarding the world.
In this beautiful night shot, a bristlecone tree trunk sits against a backdrop of star trails in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in eastern California's White Mountains. This particular trunk can be found in the park’s Methuselah Grove, which was named after the oldest of its inhabitants,“Methuselah”(i n turn named after the oldest person in the Bible)– an unmarked bristlecone pine that is, by some accounts, 4,844 years old! Yup, that’s right, we didn’t add an extra digit at the end by mistake; the tree really is just 156 years short of living for five millennia, making it 1,000 years older than any other tree on Earth!"
There was a massive flood in America many millions of years ago. That one isn't recorded in human history though.

It happened when an enormous ice damn burst and glacial floodwaters destroyed everything in their path, even carving the foothills as they are today. No one denies the floods we observe through evidence.

We deny the silly ones that your holy book borrowed from Mesopotamia, and then added some nice Jehovah twists. You silly copycats!

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#2170 Jan 11, 2013
Yellowknightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
He does not make up harsh rules..... Jehovah ( yahweh ( hebrew) would never ask someone to kill their child... That orginates from false worship
Jephtah, leading the Israelite army, promised God he would offer as sacrifice the first thing that met him when he came back from the battle. It turned out to be his daughter, a young unmarried girl who is never named. Jephtah and his daughter were trapped, and the girl was sacrificed

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#2171 Jan 11, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Jephtah, leading the Israelite army, promised God he would offer as sacrifice the first thing that met him when he came back from the battle. It turned out to be his daughter, a young unmarried girl who is never named. Jephtah and his daughter were trapped, and the girl was sacrificed
How perfectly moral of the Jewish deity.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#2172 Jan 11, 2013
What wrote:
<quoted text>
And the sane, still do. The insane, not so much.

How much of a believer are you, have you brought any of your neighbors before the town council for wearing mixed fibers yet? How about just those who work on the Sabbath? Your god demands that you drag these sinners before the community leaders, and then you are to participate in the public stoning to death of those who would mock your god by not obeying.

By not doing this, you too are mocking your god. I think it's because just like me, you don't believe in him. The difference between us? I don't lie about it.

And, b-t-w, threatening us with hell is just silly. We don't believe in Zombie Jesus, and we aren't going to pretend to be vampires and cannibals either.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#2173 Jan 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And how shitty of daddy Jepthah, and how fairy tale of him to offer the first thing he met on his return. A girl child wasn't much of a sacrifice for that misogynistic era, imagine if there had been a community parade that day, or if Jesus had been hanging around feeding the multitudes.

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#2174 Jan 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It also was misogynistic. God stopped Abraham from killing his son, but not this guy from killing his daughter.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2175 Jan 11, 2013
KJV wrote:
According to a controversial theory proposed by two Columbia University scientists, there really was one in the Black Sea region. They believe that the now-salty Black Sea was once an isolated freshwater lake surrounded by farmland, until it was flooded by an enormous wall of water from the rising Mediterranean Sea. The force of the water was two hundred times that of Niagara Falls, sweeping away everything in its path.
I just want to point out that this is a *local* flood, although a very large one. It is NOT evidence of a *global* flood. In fact, it may well be where the Noah legend got started, but it doesn't support the idea that the *whole world* was flooded.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#2176 Jan 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a massive flood in America many millions of years ago. That one isn't recorded in human history though.
It happened when an enormous ice damn burst and glacial floodwaters destroyed everything in their path, even carving the foothills as they are today. No one denies the floods we observe through evidence.
I assume you mean the ice dam*s* that broke and produced the scablands in the western US. These were very recent events, happening at the end of the last ice age with repeated dam breakages between about 20,000 and 12,000 years ago.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#2177 Jan 11, 2013
Although, the Black Sea flood was even more dramatic than the Glacier Lake floods.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#2178 Jan 11, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
..it may well be where the Noah legend got started, but it doesn't support the idea that the *whole world* was flooded.
I think the likely source of the myth was flooding in the Euphrates, and this was the basis for the Bablyonian story "The Epic of Gilgamesh", which was retold as the Genesis flood.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/noah_com.ht...

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#2179 Jan 11, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the likely source of the myth was flooding in the Euphrates, and this was the basis for the Bablyonian story "The Epic of Gilgamesh", which was retold as the Genesis flood.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/noah_com.ht...
Yes, especially, the flood around Nineva is a good candidate for the Noah myth.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#2180 Jan 11, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text> It also was misogynistic. God stopped Abraham from killing his son, but not this guy from killing his daughter.
It's ok, John. I went back in time and killed Abraham's whiny son. And his wife. Then I told Abraham "see what happens when you piss off Hiding!"

He ... uh ... this is embarrassing, really. He didn't understand English and thought I was some kind of avenging angel. Not sure why that didn't make it into the Bible.

Anyways, next week I'm going to kill Krebous. I think I can narrow down the New Testament to Jesus if I kill off his sidekick before they meet. You know it drives me nuts when all these Christians quote Krebous, that self-righteous sexist bastard!

So, yeah, if by next week you don't remember a Krebous, I was successful. Just make sure you come back to this post to remind you that you should remember Krebous.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#2181 Jan 11, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume you mean the ice dam*s* that broke and produced the scablands in the western US. These were very recent events, happening at the end of the last ice age with repeated dam breakages between about 20,000 and 12,000 years ago.
Errr....or those ones!

You...you be quiet!

grrrrr!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#2182 Jan 11, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
Although, the Black Sea flood was even more dramatic than the Glacier Lake floods.
Honto da yo! I was like fishing that day - Geeses H Crest! You can't believe how rough that was.

Never go back to the Black Sea they told me...I should have listened.
KJV

United States

#2183 Jan 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>There was a massive flood in America many millions of years ago. That one isn't recorded in human history though.

We deny the silly ones that your holy book borrowed from Mesopotamia, and then added some nice Jehovah twists. You silly copycats!
"No one denies the floods we observe through evidence."

You just have the dates wrong.
KJV

United States

#2184 Jan 11, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>I just want to point out that this is a *local* flood, although a very large one. It is NOT evidence of a *global* flood. In fact, it may well be where the Noah legend got started, but it doesn't support the idea that the *whole world* was flooded.
Yes I know he is looking for the ark under the assumption that it was a local flood.

Why would you need an ark for a local flood? 2+2=3?

It don't add up. Sorry the flood must have been as the Bible stated it.
Along with the lifting of the lands and the dropping of the ocean floors.

Dinosaurs grave yards are as expected in the collection of dead animals it the eddies and whirlpool.
KJV

United States

#2185 Jan 11, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
Not really, they both and others around the world all happened at the same time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr Richardfs 181
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Richardfs 233,230
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 hr woodtick57 2,632
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 6 hr Morse 5,963
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 14 hr Morse 23,279
faith & pride 15 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 18 hr _Bad Company 214
More from around the web