Lenoir City High School won't publish...

Lenoir City High School won't publish atheist student's editorial on religion in schools

There are 2050 comments on the Knoxville News Sentinel story from Feb 23, 2012, titled Lenoir City High School won't publish atheist student's editorial on religion in schools. In it, Knoxville News Sentinel reports that:

Krystal Myers, editor of the school paper at Lenoir City High School, has run afoul of school administrators because of her editorial entitled "No Rights: The Life of an Atheist." Schools Director Wayne Miller said it was the decision of the school authorities not to allow publication of Myers' editorial because of the potential for disruption in ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Knoxville News Sentinel.

reality check

AOL

#42 Feb 24, 2012
Humorous wrote:
I always find it funny that atheists fight so hard against something they claim doesn't exist.
We only claim that God doesn't exist and as far as I know this imaginary God hasn't ever harmed anyone. We have no fight with GOD or the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus.

Religion does exist and history is of full of the horror stories of the blood shed over religion.

What we are against are the nut cases that think a belief in an imaginary God gives them the right to do whatever they want to those that don't believe the same way.
reality check

AOL

#43 Feb 24, 2012
Mr Mc Bevee wrote:
I am always amazed at atheists.To live a life without faith,hope or God's grace or the ability to enjoy a relationship with YOUR God is tragic.
Everyone doesn't need that religious Monkey on their back. Some people don't have that much of a problem dealing with reality.

I understand that tomorrow I may be in an accident and die and then I'll just be dead and that's the end of it. That wouldn't be my choice but I don't see what good it would do to hide from the facts.

I don't live without hope. I hope that someday man will be smart enough to stop killing himself over some imaginary spook in the sky. I hope that man will travel to the stars and find out how things really started. I hope that man will stop fearing death and learn how to enjoy whatever life he has. Most of all I hope man will strangle the last king with the guts of the last priest. We shouldn't be forced to live our short lives in fear of anything.
LMT

Medina, OH

#44 Feb 24, 2012
Mr Mc Bevee wrote:
<quoted text>Hollywood liberal elites!You made my point.BTW,if ronald reagan could have two sorrier children than patti davis and jr ,I'd be surprised.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ist_of_atheists_in_science_and _technology
Oh noes! Science and Technology elites as well!
LMT

Medina, OH

#45 Feb 24, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheists...
Server keeps removing parts of the URL
Amused

Lowell, MA

#46 Feb 24, 2012
Salley Hometown wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell by what Amazed has written that he is a very unhappy camper. Someone that thinks its wrong to have faith and believe that there is a better place must be a very sad person. I don't believe there is a God "I know there is a God". One day when Amazed stands in judgement and has to confess that there is a God it will be to late for him. The only thing Atheist are trying to do is get attention because they have no other way.
No, people who can face reality without imaginary friends are not unhappy. If anything, we are more secure, since we know we are dealing with reality and not fairy tales, and we don't have to waste time propping up a myth. I know that I am good not because of fear of punishment, or because I am currying favor in hopes of a reward, but simply because I know it is the right thing to do.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#47 Feb 24, 2012
Mr Mc Bevee wrote:
<quoted text>Hollywood liberal elites!You made my point.BTW,if ronald reagan could have two sorrier children than patti davis and jr ,I'd be surprised.
Oh, it wasn't clear that your point was that there are fewer atheists among the less thoughtful segment of the population. I missed the "Exhibit A" sticker on your forehead.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#48 Feb 24, 2012
Child of God wrote:
As a Lenoir City High School student, I agree with not publishing this in the Panther Press.
Of course not! You don't wish to face the facts of your religion's flaunting the constitution like that.

Free speech? Only if it agrees with your world-view, obviously.
Child of God wrote:
This student has stated false statements. A school board meeting, is not a school event.
False. You really do not understand the law-- the school board >>IS<< the local government body which controls the >>public<< schools.

Because it >>is<< government? It is UNCONSTITUTIONAL to have religious activities of any sort during OFFICIAL meetings.
Child of God wrote:
Out of all the youth ministers that have come to the high school during all 4 lunches, never have I seen them handing out candy.
But I will bet you $100 that at least one, was trolling for a "date"...!
Child of God wrote:
But, if they did hand out candy, I do not see a problem with it. Maybe this is an attention seeking story. I don't know, but downing Lenoir City High School is not the right thing to do. If she doesn't like Lenoir City High School then she can simply leave. It's as easy as that.
She has to go where her parents live-- that's the law of the land in most districts.

And she has the >>right<< to attend the >>public<< school-- that's what "public" means in "public school".

One brand of religion should >>never<< be favored over another-- that is >>also<< Constitutional.

The atheist was being persecuted by religious haters, such as yourself.

Plain and simple.
Salley Hometown

Shelbyville, TN

#49 Feb 24, 2012
I would like for Amused or any of the other atheists to explain to me how man came into existence. Was it a magic fairy or was it a magic lamp? How did mankind start? Can someone that has a little intelligence explain that to me?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#50 Feb 24, 2012
Salley Hometown wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell by what Amazed has written that he is a very unhappy camper. Someone that thinks its wrong to have faith and believe that there is a better place must be a very sad person. I don't believe there is a God "I know there is a God". One day when Amazed stands in judgement and has to confess that there is a God it will be to late for him. The only thing Atheist are trying to do is get attention because they have no other way.
I just love it when a True Believer™ gets all judgmental like the above.

And projects her own unhappiness and jealousy onto a total stranger.

What happened to "Judge not, lest ye be judged"?

I guess that bible command is optional with you?

Sad.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#51 Feb 24, 2012
who said wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears you are good at judging your own posts and those you disagree with. Although you are correct that churches contain some hypcrites, I'd prefer to be in church with some of them instead of hell with all of them. Good luck with your beliefs or lack thereof, I hope they serve you well throughout eternity.
Thank you for your Testament Of Hate.

I just love it when a True Believer™ such as yourself fantasizes about me being tormented by your terrorist-god for an eternity.

Remember: only TERRORISTS use torture.

Your god uses INFINITE torture (or so you believe).

Therefore?

Your god is an INFINITE TERRORIST.

That's sick. Seriously.

It's sad that your god has to stoop to TORTURE to get and keep followers!

You must be really afraid...!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#52 Feb 24, 2012
Humorous wrote:
I always find it funny that atheists fight so hard against something they claim doesn't exist.May GOD bless you all,even those of you that doesn't believe he exists.I for one KNOW that he lives and will long after those who don't believe.
I find it sad that a True Believer™ laughs at his fantasizes of infinite torture at the hands of his terror-god.

I also find it puzzling why such a person goes on to claim his god is "loving"...?

It really makes zero sense.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#53 Feb 24, 2012
Ashamed grad of LCHS wrote:
If you should have the right to religon (or lack there of). Then I have the right as a Christian to worship the way I please. It goes both ways. It's public school. What did you expect? Everyone to be tolerant of everything little belief?
Tolerance is one thing.

Out and out oppression? Is quite another.

And that is >>exactly<< what happened-- persecution of a point of view DIFFERENT from yours.

That's not tolerance-- that is tyranny.

But since you believe in a god who needs to use torture to get followers?

This is hardly surprising.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#54 Feb 24, 2012
Don wrote:
I know this girl used to go to church with both parents. I wonder what has happened to make her an atheist. Normally being raised in a Baptist Church, you don't know what you believe until being saved. She in her mind, is sure.
I will say a prayer for her and her Christian parents.
She probably did the same thing I did: she started reading the WHOLE bible, cover-to-cover.

And was appalled at what she saw within it's pages.

No god who CARES could possibly be the cause behind the evil bible.

None.

In fact?

Any god who CARED about humans would not have allowed such as the bible to exist, soiling it's good name!

That right there? More than sufficient proof to show the bible's god is just a myth.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#55 Feb 24, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Great minds think alike .....:)
Oh, that's funny!
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep!
This, too!

LOL!

We are all on the same page, without prior communication....!

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#56 Feb 24, 2012
azportsider wrote:
It's ironic that the school administration reinforced the very points that Ms Myers made so well in her editorial with their clumsy attempt to censor her.
Agree.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#57 Feb 24, 2012
Mr Mc Bevee wrote:
What did you expect? Reagan was basically... an idiot.

His brain was pretty much gone by his 2nd term, and the real people running the government were just corporate stooges.

And we are STILL suffering from his failed economic boondoggles.
reality check

AOL

#58 Feb 24, 2012
Salley Hometown wrote:
I would like for Amused or any of the other atheists to explain to me how man came into existence. Was it a magic fairy or was it a magic lamp? How did mankind start? Can someone that has a little intelligence explain that to me?
We don't know how man came into existence but we may learn if we keep looking.

Thousands of years of religion and the best they could come up with is that God waved his magic wond and poof there was man.

A couple hundred years of scientific research and we have sarted to understand DNA.

You can never learn anything until you are willing to admit that you don't know.
Mr Mc Bevee

Knoxville, TN

#59 Feb 24, 2012
Tell you what Bob of QF.I will take Jesus and Reagan.You take you.It's cool.Freedom of choice.We are not judging Ms Myers--mission accomplished for her--she got national attention and was able to embarass the school and her hometown.Thankfully you godless Huns jumped on the bandwagon and promoted her spew and she got the forum she needed.She cant prove damages,she wasnt denied a constitutional right and in fact she has 15 minutes of fame and has shown her true colors.I continue to pray to my sky daddy that you someday will find inner peace and realize that there is salvation for you through God's prevenient Grace.it is free.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#60 Feb 24, 2012
LMT wrote:
...Server keeps removing parts of the URL
Usually if you put your link in quotes, it get handled correctly.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#61 Feb 24, 2012
Salley Hometown wrote:
I would like for Amused or any of the other atheists to explain to me how man came into existence. Was it a magic fairy or was it a magic lamp?...
Magic is actually what your myth claims. You're the one who says some invisible magical being poofed humans into existence.
Salley Hometown wrote:
How did mankind start? Can someone that has a little intelligence explain that to me?
Study biological evolution if you are just interested in the development of homo sapien sapien. But I don't think that's what you are really asking.

What you're really asking is how did life start.... Don't know. And the truth is, you don't either.

Making stuff up isn't really an answer, it's a cop out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min SoE 43,287
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 16 min thetruth 72
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 26 min Catcher1 9,374
Good arguments against Christianity 58 min Eagle 12 215
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr Eagle 12 4,823
News Why I quit atheism 1 hr Eagle 12 713
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 1 hr Eagle 12 92
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Eagle 12 21,188
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Eagle 12 18,576
More from around the web