Lenoir City High School won't publish atheist student's editorial on religion in schools

Feb 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Knoxville News Sentinel

Krystal Myers, editor of the school paper at Lenoir City High School, has run afoul of school administrators because of her editorial entitled "No Rights: The Life of an Atheist." Schools Director Wayne Miller said it was the decision of the school authorities not to allow publication of Myers' editorial because of the potential for disruption in ... (more)

Comments
2,041 - 2,050 of 2,050 Comments Last updated Nov 1, 2012
First Prev
of 103
Next Last

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

Judged:

Fired Up wrote:
These sites can serve a purpose. This one, however, seems to have run its course. I see nothing new being presented by either side. Just a continual argument among people who have strong feelings about their beliefs and "rights " to live free of intrusion for those who choose not to believe.
Jesus told his disciples to tell the good news of his coming, and if the people did not receive (accept) them to "shake the dust from their sandals" and move on.
Run away little hatetheist.

You have lost this one-- you have failed to be convincing.

And why not?

Your entire BIBLE is not convincing. What makes you think YOUR messages of hate and bigotry would fare any better?
Clarence Darrow

Espanola, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Apparently Krystal's school has nothing better to do than censor her editorials. It's also apparent that Krystal can read the US Constitution better than her school's administrators can. Obviously, they wouldn't be so upset if she claimed leprechauns don't exist. Is the belief in god that fragile?
ikilzatwill

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Judged:

I think its funny how other get offended when we talk or boadt about God. But if someone is saying something that brings his name dwn than its ok to talk about it. How is it that at some schools that they let muslims pray at school but if I do it it will offend someone its funny how that works.
ikilzatwill

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Clarence Darrow wrote:
Apparently Krystal's school has nothing better to do than censor her editorials. It's also apparent that Krystal can read the US Constitution better than her school's administrators can. Obviously, they wouldn't be so upset if she claimed leprechauns don't exist. Is the belief in god that fragile?
than why is it wrong and offensive that I pray in school?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Judged:

ikilzatwill wrote:
I think its funny how other get offended when we talk or boadt about God. But if someone is saying something that brings his name dwn than its ok to talk about it. How is it that at some schools that they let muslims pray at school but if I do it it will offend someone its funny how that works.
Did you read the editorial? It's basically high school civics class stuff. Nothing about praying being offensive. Nothing anti-Christian or even anti-religious. It's more about the way that some religious people treat known atheists and about how hard it can be to be the only open atheist in a high school.

I, for one don't get offended when others talk about God. I just get bored and wander off. If that's not an option, then I find a way to get the discussion back on topic (of God were the topic, I wouldn't be there in the first place). The same option should be open to high school students Out of class, they should be able to wander off just like I do. But I live (mostly) in the world of adults and rarely have to deal with the kind of adolescent responses endemic in high school social settings--or the same kinds of responses in myself. No one bullies or harasses me because I don't participate in impromptu displays of piety or fervor or asks invasive questions as though my beliefs were their business.

But high school is hard because adult skills are needed (and are sometimes barely sufficient) to deal with adolescent behaviors. Sometimes, the adults who control high school activities from day to day (or at least think they do) make things worse by taking sides when mediating or separating would be a better strategy. Sometimes they are even part of the problems. There's nothing really surprising about that--it's just part of being human.

But an essay about those problems deserves publication even when it offers criticisms of the roles of school officials in those contexts. It was a mistake to censor Myer's editorial--one that brought such unintended consequences as nationwide publication of that same essay and a well deserved tarnish on both the school's and the city's reputation. Hopefully, though, they've learned from that mistake.
Amused

Auburn, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

ikilzatwill wrote:
<quoted text> than why is it wrong and offensive that I pray in school?
It isn't "wrong" or "offensive" for you as an individual to pray in school. It is wrong for the school, an instrument of the government, to endorse praying (or to suppress it, for that matter). It is wrong for either the school or you to try to impose your beliefs on others, or to pressure others to participate in prayer. Imagine, if you will, that you attended a school where the majority of students were muslim. Would you be OK with the school endorsing islamic prayer, or compelling all students to participate? How would you feel about being pressured by muslim students to participate, or being singled out for your refusal to participate.

The only appropriate stance for government, including schools, on religion is neutrality. Students have a right to free exercise of religion, in a manner appropriate to the time and place, the same way that students have a right to free speech, but not to disrupt the school by giving a political speech during algebra class.
LCHS Class of 75

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2012

Judged:

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't "wrong" or "offensive" for you as an individual to pray in school. It is wrong for the school, an instrument of the government, to endorse praying (or to suppress it, for that matter). It is wrong for either the school or you to try to impose your beliefs on others, or to pressure others to participate in prayer. Imagine, if you will, that you attended a school where the majority of students were muslim. Would you be OK with the school endorsing islamic prayer, or compelling all students to participate? How would you feel about being pressured by muslim students to participate, or being singled out for your refusal to participate.
The only appropriate stance for government, including schools, on religion is neutrality. Students have a right to free exercise of religion, in a manner appropriate to the time and place, the same way that students have a right to free speech, but not to disrupt the school by giving a political speech during algebra class.
Not just wrong, but illegal too.
Young People

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Judged:

You have a brain. Use it. Don't believe the propaganda. Only sine the ACLU and other such groups have decided they are smart enough to use the Constitution against a free democratic republic have we had this continual eroding of the rights of people of faith.
YOU read the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights for yourself. Then make up your own mind. These people have an agenda to remove faith from a society conceived and dedicated to moral principals and freedom and faith in God.
Freedom OF religion is what our Constitution is based on. Some have come to hate Christians so much they will tolerate almost anything except Christianity in any part of public life in America.
Non-Bible Belter

Lenoir City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Judged:

I am always amazed. It seems no matter what town I end up in there is always some religious bickering going on. Why can't your beliefs (and they are beliefs, no one has seen god, no one brought back a photo from their trip to the holy land,and no one can prove to me under no uncertain terms that there is a god) I am not an Atheist so don't you dare jump on that "listen to the non-believer band wagon. Nature guides me. I can see it, touch it, when I am gone it is the place I KNOW I will return to. If thinking you will go to a place paved with gold and see all your friends/family again gives you peace then you keep going with that. If you are believing in god because your parents did, because that's what makes this town go 'round, or because you want to save your soul, then get a thought process of your own, see what works for you, think with your own mind for a moment. Do what ever makes you feel good but geesh let everyone believe what they want. If that so hard? Athesist/Agnostic/Pagan/Wiccan /Celtic <------- these people are not k,nocking on our doors trying to convert us, or handing out flying asking us to search for their deity. We keep to ourselves and let the world turn on it's own.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Young People wrote:
You have a brain. Use it. Don't believe the propaganda. Only sine the ACLU and other such groups have decided they are smart enough to use the Constitution against a free democratic republic have we had this continual eroding of the rights of people of faith.
YOU read the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights for yourself. Then make up your own mind. These people have an agenda to remove faith from a society conceived and dedicated to moral principals and freedom and faith in God.
Freedom OF religion is what our Constitution is based on. Some have come to hate Christians so much they will tolerate almost anything except Christianity in any part of public life in America.
You really should think before you post stuff --

" http://www.aclufightsforchristians.com/" ;

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 103
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Aura Mytha 224,352
Our world came from nothing? 6 hr NightSerf 240
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 9 hr Patrick 385
What does "Atheism" mean? 11 hr Reason Personified 10
Introducing The Universal Religion 12 hr Reason Personified 733
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 16 hr DonPanic 21,400
Talking some sense into you people... 18 hr religionisillness 24
•••
•••