Lenoir City High School won't publish atheist student's editorial on religion in schools

Feb 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Knoxville News Sentinel

Krystal Myers, editor of the school paper at Lenoir City High School, has run afoul of school administrators because of her editorial entitled "No Rights: The Life of an Atheist." Schools Director Wayne Miller said it was the decision of the school authorities not to allow publication of Myers' editorial because of the potential for disruption in ... (more)

Comments (Page 102)

Showing posts 2,021 - 2,040 of2,050
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

Judged:

Fired Up wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate you sharing your experience. Why is it that we can read the same Bible, learn about the same God, and come away such a different interpretation of what life is all about.
Maybe our expectations have something to do with it; or maybe the way or reason we first began to search for God makes the difference.
One thing I don't understand is how one can fail to see the spiritual element in the human experience...There is no scientific theory or logical explanation for the depravity and cruelty that we must contend with or the love and compassion we experience that gives us joy and hope.
I read that buybull, from the first word to the last, as if a god had intended me, to know his only message to mankind. I read that buybull as if a god had known a million years before that I would seek that light, that truth, that perfect beings favor and love. And then I read it again, and again, before I began to understand that man is it's only author, man it's only proponent.

What I found in his only message was that I as female, was nothing more than a sperm repository. I found a god who would make his children, eat their children. I found a god who had demanded and had gotten sacrificial gifts of golden hemorrhoids, I found a god with every last one of man's moral failings, and too, all of man's silly insecurities. I found a god who saw value in penis and testicle perfection, I found a god who saw filth in the female reproductive organs. I found a god beneath my own moral standards. I found a god would deny me joy, love and happiness. I found a god who was not at all, there.
Rich

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>I read that buybull, from the first word to the last, as if a god had intended me, to know his only message to mankind. I read that buybull as if a god had known a million years before that I would seek that light, that truth, that perfect beings favor and love. And then I read it again, and again, before I began to understand that man is it's only author, man it's only proponent.
What I found in his only message was that I as female, was nothing more than a sperm repository. I found a god who would make his children, eat their children. I found a god who had demanded and had gotten sacrificial gifts of golden hemorrhoids, I found a god with every last one of man's moral failings, and too, all of man's silly insecurities. I found a god who saw value in penis and testicle perfection, I found a god who saw filth in the female reproductive organs. I found a god beneath my own moral standards. I found a god would deny me joy, love and happiness. I found a god who was not at all, there.
Since few search as you did the question is what exactly were you searching for? Have you since found whatever it was you were searching for?
Fired Up

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Because YOU do not actually READ the bible by itself.
You read little bits here and there, and then you take what OTHER PEOPLE TELL YOU IT ACTUALLY SAYS.
If you read the WHOLE bible? Without others' telling you what it is SUPPOSED to say?
And read what it ACTUALLY says?
You, too will quickly become an atheist.
You haven't a clue what you are blabbering about..God has proven Himself to be very real in the lives of millions of people. The FACT that faith in someone else's life is so offensive to you is proof this battle is a spiritual one.
Enough

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

We have plenty of EVIDENCE to support the FACT that unbelievers are angered at the thought of another human being believing there is a God.
So what is the science behind this fact?

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

Concerned wrote:
Ya might want to read ya history.On January 21, 1781, Robert Aitken petitioned the Unites States Congress to authorize, and if possible even fund, the printing of a complete Bible in the English language of the King James Version. On September 10, 1782, Aitken received authorization from the United States Congress to commence his American printing of the Bible in English. This is the only instance in history of the U.S. Congress authorizing the printing of a Bible. In subsequent years, that session was often mockingly referred to as “The Bible Congress.” Thus, in 1782, Robert Aitken produced the first English language Bible printed in America. In 1783, George Washington wrote a letter commending Robert Aitken for his Bible. The Robert Aitken Bible is known as the “Bible of the American Revolution” and it remains the most rare and valuable of early American English Bibles.
A lie, of course.

http://fakehistory.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/f... fake-quotations-congress-on-sc hool-bibles

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-rodda/no-...

Papers of the Continental Congress, National Archives Microfilm Publication M247, r48, i41, v1, p63.

Gaillard Hunt, ed., Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789, vol. 23,(Washington D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1914), 574.

Papers of the Continental Congress, National Archives Microfilm Publication M247, r48, i41, v1, p63.

Gaillard Hunt, ed., Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789, vol. 23,(Washington D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1914), 573.

Papers of the Continental Congress, National Archives Microfilm Publication M247, r90, i78, v1, p421.

John Rodgers to George Washington, May 30, 1783, George Washington Papers at the Library of Congress, 1741-1799: Series 4, General Correspondence.
George Washington to John Rodgers, June 11, 1783, ibid.

Robert Aitken to George Washington, June 9, 1790, George Washington Papers at the Library of Congress, 1741-1799: Series 4, General Correspondence.

W.P. Strickland, History of the American Bible Society from its Organization to the Present Time,(New York: Harper and Brothers, 1849), 19-21.

http://www.liarsforjesus.com/pages/1page1.htm
http://www.liarsforjesus.com/footnotes_1.htm

http://www.liarsforjesus.com/
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

Concerned wrote:
Again this is the history of our Public School Systems and our Country. They are both founded on Christ wheather you like it or not.
You might ask a native, to see how, the christ used to settle this country treat them.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

Fired Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Beliefs are facts to those who believe them to be true. Truth can be intellectual and it can also be spiritual!
You do not choose to accept spiritual truth as a part of your worldview.
Who do you think you are to tell someone else what they can or cannot accept as truth?
You are worse than any of those you are so anxious to criticize. You are a first class hypocrite! If you think you live your life on the basis of only what can be proven in a science lab, your mind is not functioning normally.
Have you been reading some of these christian post, at least he isn't threating them with damnation for not believing the same as he does.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

I, for one, find Nontheist's response persuasive enough to counter Concerned's assertion, but only after following the links in NT's post and reading them in their entirety. I don't think that Concerned is deliberately misrepresenting the history in question, though, but genuinely believes what he writes. I wonder whether he will take a fresh look with an open mind or simply react?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2012

Rich wrote:
<quoted text> Since few search as you did the question is what exactly were you searching for? Have you since found whatever it was you were searching for?
Both answers are in the post you responded to, neither are in any way hidden.
reality check

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2012

Enough wrote:
We have plenty of EVIDENCE to support the FACT that unbelievers are angered at the thought of another human being believing there is a God.
No one is angry that you want to believe in a god. What gets people upset is that you wish to perpetuate this belief useing public schools.

A religious belief that is government sponsored lends credibility to a religion that has no credibility.

Children will learn about religious beliefs when they study history. They should and will learn about all the myths and legends that make up human history.

There are plenty of churches out there if anyone shows the slightest interest in any particular form of religion. There is really no reason to ram religion down the throats of children in schools and sell it to them as fact when in fact it is nonsense. We don't teach them magic but they are free to go to the novelty store.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2012

Judged:

Fired Up wrote:
Beliefs are facts to those who believe them to be true. Truth can be intellectual and it can also be spiritual!
You do not choose to accept spiritual truth as a part of your worldview.
Who do you think you are to tell someone else what they can or cannot accept as truth?
You are worse than any of those you are so anxious to criticize. You are a first class hypocrite! If you think you live your life on the basis of only what can be proven in a science lab, your mind is not functioning normally.
My mind is functioning VERY well, thanks. And you can chant the "beliefs are facts" fantasy all you want. It doesn't make your FANTASY come true.

As far as hypocrisy is concerned, militant religionists like yourself still corner the market.

Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2012

Judged:

Fired Up wrote:
So Ms. O'Hare is your hero. That explains a lot about the comments you have made.
I did send my Children to Christian School. I did so while I continued to pay taxes to fund the public schools that are continuing down the path of moral decline evident in this thread and others.
You want your Children to be taught sexual preference courses and secular humanism, why don't you start a private school and pay for their education as I have done for mine. You are a hypocrite if you think a public education should cater to any one worldview! Obviously you do and you want it to be yours (at the expense of others). HYPOCRITE!
Would you like some cheese with that WHINE? Everyone, myself included, has to pay taxes for things we personally would rather not support. Mature people accept that they don't always get their own way in these matters. I suggest YOU accept that as well.

Obviously you're pissed off that you don't get to FORCE unwanted christian prayer and bible study on public school students by requiring public schools to do your jobs for you. Too bad. You paid to send your kids to christian schools, great. So tell THOSE schools to do their jobs if you're so dissatisfied.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

Judged:

Fired Up wrote:
You haven't a clue what you are blabbering about..God has proven Himself to be very real in the lives of millions of people.
Again, that's nothing more than a BELIEF, which only merits a big SO WHAT. Just because YOU believe your "god has proven himself to be very real in the lives of millions of people" doesn't mean that your belief is fact.

Of course, you're free to believe anything you want, even though there is no proof to substantiate your claims. We are just as free NOT to believe any of it, a fact which some reason militant religionists have a real problem dealing with.

As far as I'M concerned, atheism = FREEDOM. No dogmas required.
Fired Up

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

These sites can serve a purpose. This one, however, seems to have run its course. I see nothing new being presented by either side. Just a continual argument among people who have strong feelings about their beliefs and "rights " to live free of intrusion for those who choose not to believe.
Jesus told his disciples to tell the good news of his coming, and if the people did not receive (accept) them to "shake the dust from their sandals" and move on.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

Judged:

Fired Up wrote:
These sites can serve a purpose. This one, however, seems to have run its course. I see nothing new being presented by either side. Just a continual argument among people who have strong feelings about their beliefs and "rights " to live free of intrusion for those who choose not to believe.
Jesus told his disciples to tell the good news of his coming, and if the people did not receive (accept) them to "shake the dust from their sandals" and move on.
Riiiiiiiiight; you wouldn't want more people in your town reading material that might give them pause to THINK, would you. That might just cause some of them to REJECT the baggage of gods, religions and churches that you would have them believe is "truth."

Basically, you FAILED to convince any of the non-believers here that we are wrong for not believing and would prefer to have as few witnessess to your failure as possible. Good luck with that.

Atheism = FREEDOM. No dogmas required.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

Rich wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should anyone believe your interpetation of the Bible.
Why indeed. But you Genuine Christians™ do not read the bible for yourselves-- anytime you read about something "icky" within it?

You run to your pastor/priest and cry-- and receive a virtual pat on your soft head, and a cookie and an "explanation" as to what it "really" says.

And you are so easily satisfied that you >>ignore<< what you just read!

And you >>ignore<< the fact that the bible is chock-full of evil acts-- mostly from the bible's god, but also from it's people.

Acts such as the wanton slaughter of innocent people for the "crime" of being in the way!

Acts such as the wholesale massacre of entire cities, simply because bible-god says so!

Acts such as the murder of all the men, women and boys-- but keep the virgin girls for rape-concubines!

All actions such that the bible god can get much glory.

For the bible-god delights in murder, mayhem and murder: bible-god gets much "glory" from such things.
Rich wrote:
How can you be so sure your own literal translation is the correct one?
Riiiiight. So death does not really mean death? And murder does not really mean murder, then?

In your fairy-tale universe?

Riiiiight.
Rich wrote:
And if others are inspired to do good deeds based on their interpetation of the texts,which is undeniable,there is no harm.
Pity-- you cannot find a single example of such a thing.

Face it: good people do good because they ARE GOOD-- in SPITE of the evil bible.

But the bible IS used to justify much evil-- including rape, slavery, infanticide, child-abuse, on and on.

So if you eliminated it? The good people would continue to do good.

And much evil would have to find OTHER sources of justification.
Rich wrote:
If the Bible and religion did not exist humanity would find or create other justification for its barbarity.
Maybe. But I doubt it would be as evil or barbaric.
Rich wrote:
The problem is humanity not religion.Religion is only another tool used by those with evil intent.Its the people not the religion.
Actually? Religion CAN and DOES increase the intensity of evil.

For there is no argument to the proclamation of "God Said" apart from "No He Didn't!"

And most gullible fools won't take the step of "no he didn't"-- but rather follow like sheep the "God Said"-- even if what supposedly was said included murder, rape, slavery and worse.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

Fired Up wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't a clue what you are blabbering about..God has proven Himself to be very real in the lives of millions of people.
Aaaah! I see you refuse to debate the evil of your bible.

But go instead to an argument ad populum.

So?

Millions of people USED to believe the world was a flat plate.

Is it? Nope-- reality is NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST, STUPID.

And your god is no more real than Santa Claus.

In spite of millions of delusions.
Fired Up wrote:
The FACT that faith in someone else's life is so offensive to you is proof this battle is a spiritual one.
Your life is not offensive to me-- YOUR ACTIONS ARE, however.

Do try to keep up.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

Enough wrote:
Can you show this ... ahem... "evidence"?

No?

Interesting.

You lie about even this.

And you still have NO PROOF OF YOUR GOD!

How ... funny is THAT?

<laughing>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

NightSerf wrote:
I, for one, find Nontheist's response persuasive enough to counter Concerned's assertion, but only after following the links in NT's post and reading them in their entirety. I don't think that Concerned is deliberately misrepresenting the history in question, though, but genuinely believes what he writes. I wonder whether he will take a fresh look with an open mind or simply react?
I also wonder that-- but I would take $20 that he won't bother.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

reality check wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is angry that you want to believe in a god. What gets people upset is that you wish to perpetuate this belief useing public schools.
A religious belief that is government sponsored lends credibility to a religion that has no credibility.
Children will learn about religious beliefs when they study history. They should and will learn about all the myths and legends that make up human history.
There are plenty of churches out there if anyone shows the slightest interest in any particular form of religion. There is really no reason to ram religion down the throats of children in schools and sell it to them as fact when in fact it is nonsense. We don't teach them magic but they are free to go to the novelty store.
Exactly!

They are free to believe in invisible pink unicorns, for all we care.

Just so long as they don't pass LAWS requiring obedience to IPS's.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,021 - 2,040 of2,050
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••