Lenoir City High School won't publish...

Lenoir City High School won't publish atheist student's editorial on religion in schools

There are 2050 comments on the Knoxville News Sentinel story from Feb 23, 2012, titled Lenoir City High School won't publish atheist student's editorial on religion in schools. In it, Knoxville News Sentinel reports that:

Krystal Myers, editor of the school paper at Lenoir City High School, has run afoul of school administrators because of her editorial entitled "No Rights: The Life of an Atheist." Schools Director Wayne Miller said it was the decision of the school authorities not to allow publication of Myers' editorial because of the potential for disruption in ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Knoxville News Sentinel.

Amused

Lowell, MA

#2043 Apr 30, 2012
Concerned wrote:
The Puritans were allowed to make their own laws. At the center of each Puritan village was a meeting house. At the meeting house, the men of the village met to make the laws and settle the problems of the community....
And to conduct inquiries into accusations of witchcraft, at which they heard, and credited "spectral evidence", the testimony of individuals who claimed to be able to see specters, including the invisible 'familiars' of the accused, who were usually people on the margins of their society, like Tituba, the West Indian servant among the first accused, or Goody Osborn, a notorious gossip who experienced a turning of the tables. Meeting houses, like the churches that followed them, were dens of superstitious ignorance.
Concerned

Dayton, TN

#2044 Apr 30, 2012
Again this is the history of our Public School Systems and our Country. They are both founded on Christ wheather you like it or not.
Ocean56

AOL

#2045 Apr 30, 2012
Enough wrote:
Deuteronomy 12:29-32!!!!!!!!!
JEHOVAH ( Father/Son/Holy Spirit) The God of LOVE and TRUTH...The ONE TRUE GOD!
More than ENOUGH!!!
ENOUGH!
Beliefs AREN'T facts. Obviously you still haven't figured that out yet.
Ocean56

AOL

#2046 Apr 30, 2012
Fired Up wrote:
Why do you care? Do you have nothing better to do then attacking someone you don't know for believing what you consider to be a myth?
Now THAT'S funny, given the fact that militant religionists spend a LOT of time attacking atheists for not believing the same nonsense you do.
Ocean56

AOL

#2047 Apr 30, 2012
Concerned wrote:
Again this is the history of our Public School Systems and our Country. They are both founded on Christ wheather you like it or not.
Whether our public school systems were "founded on Christ" or not is irrelevant, to me anyway. These days, public school students can't be forced to sit through required christian prayer and bible study. Thank you, Ms. O'Hare!

If christian parents want their kids to sit through endless (not to mention tedious) hours of prayer and bible study, they can pay for it themselves, by sending their kids to christian schools.
Fired Up

Knoxville, TN

#2048 Apr 30, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Beliefs AREN'T facts. Obviously you still haven't figured that out yet.
Beliefs are facts to those who believe them to be true. Truth can be intellectual and it can also be spiritual!
You do not choose to accept spiritual truth as a part of your worldview.
Who do you think you are to tell someone else what they can or cannot accept as truth?
You are worse than any of those you are so anxious to criticize. You are a first class hypocrite! If you think you live your life on the basis of only what can be proven in a science lab, your mind is not functioning normally.
Fired Up

Knoxville, TN

#2049 Apr 30, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now THAT'S funny, given the fact that militant religionists spend a LOT of time attacking atheists for not believing the same nonsense you do.
Where is your proof for making that accusation???
Fired Up

Knoxville, TN

#2050 Apr 30, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether our public school systems were "founded on Christ" or not is irrelevant, to me anyway. These days, public school students can't be forced to sit through required christian prayer and bible study. Thank you, Ms. O'Hare!
If christian parents want their kids to sit through endless (not to mention tedious) hours of prayer and bible study, they can pay for it themselves, by sending their kids to christian schools.
So Ms. O'Hare is your hero. That explains a lot about the comments you have made.
I did send my Children to Christian School. I did so while I continued to pay taxes to fund the public schools that are continuing down the path of moral decline evident in this thread and others.
You want your Children to be taught sexual preference courses and secular humanism, why don't you start a private school and pay for their education as I have done for mine. You are a hypocrite if you think a public education should cater to any one worldview! Obviously you do and you want it to be yours (at the expense of others). HYPOCRITE!
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2051 Apr 30, 2012
Fired Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Beliefs are facts to those who believe them to be true. Truth can be intellectual and it can also be spiritual!
You do not choose to accept spiritual truth as a part of your worldview.
Who do you think you are to tell someone else what they can or cannot accept as truth?
You are worse than any of those you are so anxious to criticize. You are a first class hypocrite! If you think you live your life on the basis of only what can be proven in a science lab, your mind is not functioning normally.
Beliefs are facts when they are supported by evidence that they are true.

I believe in gravity, because there is evidence that it exists. I believe the Second World War lasted from 1939 to 1945 because there is evidence to support that belief. If I believe that I have a million dollars in the bank, despite the evidence provided by my monthly bank statement, then the sincerity of my belief will not by itself make the belief true enough to cause a million dollar check to clear.

The word 'Belief' is derived from the Old English word 'lief', which means to wish. When you say you believe something, you are wishing it were true.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#2052 Apr 30, 2012
Concerned wrote:
“In the melting pot called America, we are one nation under the Constitution ... but not one nation under God. Given how the religious right opposes the teaching of evolution or any scientific and social view that conflicts with a literal interpretation of the Bible, we are really becoming one nation undereducated. And that is not an American value to be proud of.”~ Herb Silverman

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#2053 Apr 30, 2012
Fired Up wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't answered the question. If you find my God so distasteful why do you waste your time trying to convince me that your insane remarks have validity.
Pick a subject you have some common sense knowledge of and get back to us. You know absolutely nothing about the character of God or the true teachings of the Bible. You are trying to fight a war that doesn't exist! The worse kind of hypocracy!!
You must be a very unhappy and unpleasant individual.
Such a waste of what you have been given. So sad!
You didn't asked "me" the question.

But the reason, that I find the buybull god so distasteful is because, I once was a Christain. I had but one goal for my life, and that was to carry his word to the far reaches of the earth, and to that end, I began a serious bible study, that lasted decades.

What I found in the bible, was horrendous. So I spend years trying to prove it a lie, for what the bible said about my god could not be real. It was some time before I finally understood, there is no god.

For a thing to be as flawed as buybull god is, it couldn't be considered a god. It's insecurities, it's frailties, it's immoralities and it's insanity all add up, to a badly concocted myth.

The book is meant to subdue and control, what can be done with words alone, cost much less than that which must done by force.

A slave manual, filled with scare tactics, designed to keep you down on your knees and not objecting to the hand lifting your wallet, that is the bible.

Don't believe me? Your god would have you eat your child. Any other reason for a god to come up with such lunacy, other than scare tactics? You do know that a god would have no reason to pound mankind to a prostrate simpering fool, don't you. That would be man's doing, needing other men cowered.

And personally, I am a perpetually happy person who has lived a rich and varied life, my greatest treasures are my family, my animals and my books. That and my freedom from all the slaveries of religion, makes me a very satisfied-with-my-amazing life, atheist.
Fired Up

Knoxville, TN

#2054 Apr 30, 2012
Since war has been declared by those who would have our Nation's Constitution interpreted to include only scientific theory and a secular humanist worldview, we are becoming a Nation divided.
A "house" divided against itself cannot stand..."
Abraham Lincoln
Ironic that so many continue to state that it is disputes over "religion" that have caused all the wars in human history. Yet they don't seem to want to come to any understanding, but only to call names and hurl insults.
It's human nature that makes us all want things done our way. It's an evil SPIRIT that causes men to wage war and hate one another over differences of opinion and belief.
Fired Up

Knoxville, TN

#2055 Apr 30, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>You didn't asked "me" the question.
But the reason, that I find the buybull god so distasteful is because, I once was a Christain. I had but one goal for my life, and that was to carry his word to the far reaches of the earth, and to that end, I began a serious bible study, that lasted decades.
What I found in the bible, was horrendous. So I spend years trying to prove it a lie, for what the bible said about my god could not be real. It was some time before I finally understood, there is no god.
For a thing to be as flawed as buybull god is, it couldn't be considered a god. It's insecurities, it's frailties, it's immoralities and it's insanity all add up, to a badly concocted myth.
The book is meant to subdue and control, what can be done with words alone, cost much less than that which must done by force.
A slave manual, filled with scare tactics, designed to keep you down on your knees and not objecting to the hand lifting your wallet, that is the bible.
Don't believe me? Your god would have you eat your child. Any other reason for a god to come up with such lunacy, other than scare tactics? You do know that a god would have no reason to pound mankind to a prostrate simpering fool, don't you. That would be man's doing, needing other men cowered.
And personally, I am a perpetually happy person who has lived a rich and varied life, my greatest treasures are my family, my animals and my books. That and my freedom from all the slaveries of religion, makes me a very satisfied-with-my-amazing life, atheist.
I appreciate you sharing your experience. Why is it that we can read the same Bible, learn about the same God, and come away such a different interpretation of what life is all about.
Maybe our expectations have something to do with it; or maybe the way or reason we first began to search for God makes the difference.
One thing I don't understand is how one can fail to see the spiritual element in the human experience...There is no scientific theory or logical explanation for the depravity and cruelty that we must contend with or the love and compassion we experience that gives us joy and hope.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#2056 Apr 30, 2012
Fired Up wrote:
Since war has been declared by those who would have our Nation's Constitution interpreted to include only scientific theory and a secular humanist worldview, we are becoming a Nation divided.
A "house" divided against itself cannot stand..."
Abraham Lincoln
Ironic that so many continue to state that it is disputes over "religion" that have caused all the wars in human history. Yet they don't seem to want to come to any understanding, but only to call names and hurl insults.
It's human nature that makes us all want things done our way. It's an evil SPIRIT that causes men to wage war and hate one another over differences of opinion and belief.
That division happened many years ago. Before the words "in god we trust and "one nation under god", all Americans were united as Americans. It was what held all sects, groups and religions together, united as proud American citizens.
Now those American citizens are encouraged to vow fealty to whatever god or gods they or their families have chosen to fall before. So now it's pledges to Allah or Kali, before the once great, but now divided by imaginary myths, United States of America.
You, yourself, do not believe, you might hope that there is a heavenly reward system in place, but if there is, you are not proof of it's likelihood. Whether you believe it or not, you don't live it. Just how many times have you obeyed your gods rules, by acting like you really believe he exists. None, none of you do. Stoning's are how your god demands you deal with those who would dare wear mixed fibers, and you have stoned none, nary a one. Am I right? LOL! Of course I am.
Now, religion has long ago, effectively divided this house, how long do you expect it to stand?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2057 Apr 30, 2012
Fired Up wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't answered the question. If you find my God so distasteful why do you waste your time trying to convince me that your insane remarks have validity.
Pick a subject you have some common sense knowledge of and get back to us. You know absolutely nothing about the character of God or the true teachings of the Bible. You are trying to fight a war that doesn't exist! The worse kind of hypocracy!!
You must be a very unhappy and unpleasant individual.
Such a waste of what you have been given. So sad!
The BuyBull tells of your god's many and numerous atrocities.

If you don't believe what your own BuyBull tells you?

Then you are just making up sh7t as you go along, aren't you?

Classic.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2058 Apr 30, 2012
Concerned wrote:
1647 The General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony decrees that every town of fifty families should have an elementary school and that every town of 100 families should have a Latin school. The goal is to ensure that Puritan children learn to read the Bible and receive basic information about their Calvinist religion. This was the beginning of our public school systems.
And it also ensured that kids would continue to become brain-damaged by the evil buybull.

You are a classic result of such evil, too.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2059 Apr 30, 2012
Concerned wrote:
Nope.

It's by sheer coincidence that SOME of the founding principles are SIMILAR to the fairy-tale you call "christ".

Alas for you? NONE of your "jesus" fairy tale is ORIGINAL material!

ALL the stuff of your bible was plagiarized from other, older religions.

All of it, without exception.

Especially the Jesus legends-- they are a blatant rip off of similar, but much older stories.

Silly person: you may as well claim the US was founded as a Horus Cult....!

<laughing>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2060 Apr 30, 2012
Fired Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Beliefs are facts to those who believe them to be true.
Nope.

You are wrong... again.

Facts are true REGARDLESS if anyone at ALL believes in it!

The FACT of gravity is real-- even if every person on earth thought they could fly.

Facts are what is left AFTER YOU STOP BELIEVING.

Silly person.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2061 Apr 30, 2012
Fired Up wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate you sharing your experience. Why is it that we can read the same Bible, learn about the same God, and come away such a different interpretation of what life is all about.
Because YOU do not actually READ the bible by itself.

You read little bits here and there, and then you take what OTHER PEOPLE TELL YOU IT ACTUALLY SAYS.

If you read the WHOLE bible? Without others' telling you what it is SUPPOSED to say?

And read what it ACTUALLY says?

You, too will quickly become an atheist.
Rich

Sebastian, FL

#2062 Apr 30, 2012
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Because YOU do not actually READ the bible by itself.
You read little bits here and there, and then you take what OTHER PEOPLE TELL YOU IT ACTUALLY SAYS.
If you read the WHOLE bible? Without others' telling you what it is SUPPOSED to say?
And read what it ACTUALLY says?
You, too will quickly become an atheist.
Why should anyone believe your interpetation of the Bible. How can you be so sure your own literal translation is the correct one? And if others are inspired to do good deeds based on their interpetation of the texts,which is undeniable,there is no harm.If the Bible and religion did not exist humanity would find or create other justification for its barbarity. The problem is humanity not religion.Religion is only another tool used by those with evil intent.Its the people not the religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Subduction Zone 85,533
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 5 hr Rose_NoHo 4,816
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr ChristineM 4,026
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Tue Into The Night 5,146
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Mon Dogen 33,127
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Jan 15 superwilly 111
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Jan 14 emperorjohn 1
More from around the web