Lenoir City High School won't publish atheist student's editorial on religion in schools

Feb 23, 2012 Full story: Knoxville News Sentinel 2,050

Krystal Myers, editor of the school paper at Lenoir City High School, has run afoul of school administrators because of her editorial entitled "No Rights: The Life of an Atheist." Schools Director Wayne Miller said it was the decision of the school authorities not to allow publication of Myers' editorial because of the potential for disruption in ... (more)

Full Story
First Prev
of 103
Next Last
Tina

Knoxville, TN

#2 Feb 23, 2012
I know the school board starts meetings with a prayer but I didn't know it was unconstitutional.
hmmmmm

Atlanta, GA

#3 Feb 23, 2012
It must be nice to be so intelligent at the ripe old age of 18 and relatively limited life experience to know there is no God. I, on the other hand, find my faith continue to deepen as I approach 60.
If I'm wrong, I've wasted my time on earth trying to be a better person which probably isn't a bad thing. If she's wrong, she’ll wish she hadn't wasted her time on earth which probably isn’t a good thing.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#4 Feb 23, 2012
hmmmmm wrote:
It must be nice to be so intelligent at the ripe old age of 18 and relatively limited life experience to know there is no God. I, on the other hand, find my faith continue to deepen as I approach 60.
If I'm wrong, I've wasted my time on earth trying to be a better person which probably isn't a bad thing. If she's wrong, she’ll wish she hadn't wasted her time on earth which probably isn’t a good thing.
Pascal's Wager is a failed argument.

Why?

Because of several things:

1) you don't know the god you chose (out of millions) is the only real one

2) following the bible does not help people be better people-- history is full of folk who follow the bible, but do evil things

3) good people do good things because they are basically good people-- always in >>spite<< of being religious.

4) how gullible do you think your god is? To not see through your "just in case" attitude, above?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5 Feb 23, 2012
Tina wrote:
I know the school board starts meetings with a prayer but I didn't know it was unconstitutional.
It's very unconstitutional, and if someone sues your school board?

They will lose a lot of cash defending themselves-- and they will lose the lawsuit too.

For the financial good of your district, they really should stop.
Mr Mc Bevee

Knoxville, TN

#6 Feb 23, 2012
I am always amazed at atheists.To live a life without faith,hope or God's grace or the ability to enjoy a relationship with YOUR God is tragic.I pray for this young lady and see this for what it is-a publicity stunt designed by her to stir up a bunch of crap by the liberal do-gooders who are usually taxpayer subsidized.Can you name a famous atheist besides Madelyn Murray O'Hare?Miller can control content.It just so happens the content is religious---so what/He can do it..Dont back down Miller...Im sick of being judged because I have my religious beliefs.Wussies.........Let her blog her article or better yet,publish it Knoxville news sentinel for her.You control your own content KNS!
Tina

Knoxville, TN

#7 Feb 23, 2012
Mr Mc Bevee wrote:
I am always amazed at atheists.To live a life without faith,hope or God's grace or the ability to enjoy a relationship with YOUR God is tragic.I pray for this young lady and see this for what it is-a publicity stunt designed by her to stir up a bunch of crap by the liberal do-gooders who are usually taxpayer subsidized.Can you name a famous atheist besides Madelyn Murray O'Hare?Miller can control content.It just so happens the content is religious---so what/He can do it..Dont back down Miller...Im sick of being judged because I have my religious beliefs.Wussies.........Let her blog her article or better yet,publish it Knoxville news sentinel for her.You control your own content KNS!
Google lenoir City Atheists and see how many news outlets are picking up on this story. The News Sentinel has published her editorial, as have dozens or more newspapers around the country. I think her editorial will get more readership because of the school administration decision not to publish.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#8 Feb 23, 2012
There's a lively group of atheists in Knoxville that meets twice a week. I rarely go because those two weeks are rehearsal nights for me. They also host a weekly half-hour broadcast on the public access channel just before each Friday's meeting. the meetings are organized through www.MeetUp.com
Amused

Lowell, MA

#9 Feb 23, 2012
I think the principal should have to stay after school and write out the text of the First Amendment 100 times on the blackboard. He is obviously unfit for the job of preparing future citizens for life in America as informed participants in a democracy. He is barely fit for the less challenging job of turning out sheeple who follow leaders blindly, never questioning their indoctrination.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#10 Feb 23, 2012
Mr Mc Bevee wrote:
I am always amazed at those people who need an imaginary friend to get through life. And those who have apparently never read the constitution of their own country. If you need a belief in an invisible sky daddy who will take care of you to get through the day, you have no business calling people who can face reality wussies. And if your beliefs are so fragile that they will fall apart if exposed to contrary thinking, that says more about how invalid you know them to be than any criticism an atheist could level. You already know your beliefs are nonsense that has to be shielded against any critical thinking.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#11 Feb 23, 2012
hmmmmm wrote:
The koran says everyone who isn't a muslim will go direct to hell, with no exceptions. The very same reason why this does not scare you into converting to islam is why atheists are not impressed with this argument.
Poopy

Knoxville, TN

#12 Feb 23, 2012
I dont c in the constitution where government controls schools with tax money. Privatize all schools and use a voucher system. That way if u don't agree u can take ur kids elsewhere. Why should people without kids support it.
Amazed

Knoxville, TN

#13 Feb 23, 2012
What about the increased Latino gang problem at the school that's never mentioned but many students are afraid of!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14 Feb 23, 2012
Poopy wrote:
I dont c in the constitution where government controls schools with tax money. Privatize all schools and use a voucher system. That way if u don't agree u can take ur kids elsewhere. Why should people without kids support it.
Sure... sure.

I can see why YOU would have a problem-- for clearly? You flunked English class since first grade....
LMT

Twinsburg, OH

#15 Feb 23, 2012
Mr Mc Bevee wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ist_of_atheists
LMT

Twinsburg, OH

#16 Feb 23, 2012

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#17 Feb 23, 2012
Poopy wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by your first sentence. Privatizing all schools is an option, I suppose, but it would have to have overwhelming public support to make it happen, and I don't think that support can be attained any time soon. Private schools tend to be more expensive to run because they are too small to employ economy of scale. As a result, I suspect that most schools would charge extra fees, the best schools charging the most. The result would be to widen the gaps in America's class structure, as only the top echelons would be able to pay much over and above the value of the vouchers. That would restrict the social mobility that has been a hallmark of our society for much of our history.

People without kids who grew up in the U.S still had the opportunity to go to pubic schools when they were kids. Supporting the system during their working lives repays society for that opportunity.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#18 Feb 23, 2012
Poopy wrote:
Because those kids will have to support you with their social security taxes in your old age, even though they aren't related to you, and might even wish you'd report to the soylent green factory. The more they earn, the less cat food you will have to eat. Hell, their Medicare tax payments might even pay for your false teeth so you can have a full set of teeth for the first time since the Johnson presidency.
Child of God

Knoxville, TN

#19 Feb 23, 2012
As a Lenoir City High School student, I agree with not publishing this in the Panther Press. This student has stated false statements. A school board meeting, is not a school event. Out of all the youth ministers that have come to the high school during all 4 lunches, never have I seen them handing out candy. But, if they did hand out candy, I do not see a problem with it. Maybe this is an attention seeking story. I don't know, but downing Lenoir City High School is not the right thing to do. If she doesn't like Lenoir City High School then she can simply leave. It's as easy as that.
Amazed

Knoxville, TN

#20 Feb 23, 2012
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Because those kids will have to support you with their social security taxes in your old age, even though they aren't related to you, and might even wish you'd report to the soylent green factory. The more they earn, the less cat food you will have to eat. Hell, their Medicare tax payments might even pay for your false teeth so you can have a full set of teeth for the first time since the Johnson presidency.
Actualy i have a great job college educated and my own retirement. Unlike parents today mine made sure I was educated and knew the difference between right and wrong. Job I have has it's own retirement not social security. They paid out the ass to make sure we had a good education and worked dawn til dust.
Salley Hometown

Sevierville, TN

#21 Feb 23, 2012
Amazed wrote:
<quoted text>Actualy i have a great job college educated and my own retirement. Unlike parents today mine made sure I was educated and knew the difference between right and wrong. Job I have has it's own retirement not social security. They paid out the ass to make sure we had a good education and worked dawn til dust.
I can tell by what Amazed has written that he is a very unhappy camper. Someone that thinks its wrong to have faith and believe that there is a better place must be a very sad person. I don't believe there is a God "I know there is a God". One day when Amazed stands in judgement and has to confess that there is a God it will be to late for him. The only thing Atheist are trying to do is get attention because they have no other way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 103
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 min Morse 23,260
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 13 min Joe fortuna 233,093
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 16 min Morse 2,613
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 17 min Morse 17
$13.5m for jehovah’s witness sex victim 3 hr P_Smith 2
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 3 hr P_Smith 9
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr Morse 1,455
More from around the web