Richard Dawkins jumps yet another shark

Jun 5, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Where Worlds Collide

So Richard Dawkins claims fairy tales are harmful to children because reasons. He'll be coming after music next, after all, it's made-up stuff that engages emotion rather than reason.

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Jun 13, 2014
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2014

Judged:

"So Richard Dawkins claims fairy tales are harmful to children because reasons"

That's the opening line.

The shameless illiteracy of the religitard.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2014

Judged:

[Dawkins] told the audience, "It's rather pernicious to inculcate into a child a view of the world which includes supernaturalism."

"There is a very interesting reason why a prince could not turn into a frog... it's statistically too improbable."
Source:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27721020

Dawkins isn't saying children shouldn't listen to fairy tales. He's simply pointing out that it can be harmful to children to blur the line between truth and fiction to the degree that some children fail to appreciate properly the difference between superstition and reality. He was talking in the context of his book....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_of_Rea...
As usual, what he actually said was perfectly reasonable. That appears to be why it so frightens religionists - he compares evidence-based belief (or faith) with religious belief (or religious faith). Evidence, education and science are steadily undermining religion.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2014

Judged:

Dawkins actually said....
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
See for yourself.

Prayers = incantations
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2014

Judged:

Religitards never let the truth get in the way of a slur against Dawkins. Dawkins is clearly onto something. But we knew that already...

Richard Bacon puts a good radio interview together. I heard him interviewing Milton Jones, who, like Tim Vine is one of the very few christian stand ups of note. Bacon actually said he didn't meet many people who believed in god these days. Yet Bacon is one of the kindest and most decent interviewers I know. The media is very different over here, isn't it?
EdSed wrote:
Dawkins actually said....
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
See for yourself.
Prayers = incantations
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2014

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Religitards never let the truth get in the way of a slur against Dawkins. Dawkins is clearly onto something. But we knew that already...
Richard Bacon puts a good radio interview together. I heard him interviewing Milton Jones, who, like Tim Vine is one of the very few christian stand ups of note. Bacon actually said he didn't meet many people who believed in god these days. Yet Bacon is one of the kindest and most decent interviewers I know. The media is very different over here, isn't it?
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree.
Perhaps Dawkins has an eye to book sales (which isn't unreasonable). He's routinely misrepresented by truth-shy religionists.

Blasphemy = satire
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2014

Judged:

Look at the judge icons at this point, Lol! We've rattled someone's cage :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Introducing The Universal Religion 30 min nanoanomaly 735
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Reason Personified 247
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Aura Mytha 224,514
What does "Atheism" mean? 7 hr Patrick 34
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 8 hr Patrick 395
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 9 hr religionisillness 19
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 hr Growupchildren 21,401
•••
•••