Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Judged:

When the Sun commissioned a YouGov poll to ask 18-24 year olds in the UK this question, "What religion, if any, would you conider yourself to be?" 56% answered, "No religion."

This doesn't just mean they are not particularly religious, or they are tenuously defined as CofE but don't go to church. It means 56% said no religion.

It's a very strong statement.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/documen...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
When the Sun commissioned a YouGov poll to ask 18-24 year olds in the UK this question, "What religion, if any, would you conider yourself to be?" 56% answered, "No religion."
This doesn't just mean they are not particularly religious, or they are tenuously defined as CofE but don't go to church. It means 56% said no religion.
It's a very strong statement.
http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/documen...
Faith based mental illness - the silent taboo
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
When the Sun commissioned a YouGov poll to ask 18-24 year olds in the UK..
The young are the most Atheist group. They have been less exposed to religion, and are more educated in diverse viewpoints. The more education one gets the more you are likely to become an atheist.

I also think a factor at work in the UK is that the official church, the CoE is liberal, run by bishops who believe in a vague deist entity. The churches that are growing are the evangelical ones, the traditionalist ones are in rapid decline, and is set to continue.

Even though religion is on the decline, there is still a fascination with the supernatural, so superstition in its less organised forms is I guess going to continue for a long time.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2013

I agree plenty of people will always want to believe in "something".

Francis Wheen on the X-Files:(I'm paraphrasing) every week you were presented with a logic reason or a supernatural reason for an event. Every week it was the supernatural reason that turned out to be the cause. Now imagine a cop show where every week there is a white suspect and a black suspect. And every week the black suspect is guilty...
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
The young are the most Atheist group. They have been less exposed to religion, and are more educated in diverse viewpoints. The more education one gets the more you are likely to become an atheist.
I also think a factor at work in the UK is that the official church, the CoE is liberal, run by bishops who believe in a vague deist entity. The churches that are growing are the evangelical ones, the traditionalist ones are in rapid decline, and is set to continue.
Even though religion is on the decline, there is still a fascination with the supernatural, so superstition in its less organised forms is I guess going to continue for a long time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Catcher1 224,351
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr NightSerf 240
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 7 hr Patrick 385
What does "Atheism" mean? 9 hr Reason Personified 10
Introducing The Universal Religion 9 hr Reason Personified 733
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 14 hr DonPanic 21,400
Talking some sense into you people... 16 hr religionisillness 24
•••
•••