Atheist students say good morals can ...

Atheist students say good morals can be practiced without a Bible

There are 1166 comments on the The Herald story from Oct 28, 2010, titled Atheist students say good morals can be practiced without a Bible. In it, The Herald reports that:

As its membership rapidly increases, the Secular Student Alliance of ASU, an atheist student organization, works to build a community of people to make Jonesboro a better place through charity work.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Herald.

First Prev
of 59
Next Last

Pine Bluff, AR

#1179 Mar 20, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
I wonder how people can look to a book that advocates killing gays and women who have sex before marriage as a moral document.
I don't know, but for the ones who do I can guarantee not nearly enough of them get snake-bit.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#1181 Mar 20, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”- Isaac Asimov
Exactly.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#1182 Mar 21, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
I wonder how people can look to a book that advocates killing gays and women who have sex before marriage as a moral document.
Nicely and succinctly put.

Any *holy book* that contains instructions to kill other people isn't even worth spitting on.
Patrick n Angela

United States

#1183 Sep 24, 2014
tac wrote:
<quoted text>
And just because a god says something is right/wrong, doesn't make it so either. All you are doing is circular logic. If you want to play it this way, then you may as well include the god in the circle. So, what if I don't agree with the god on moral things? What about non-moral things? If a god says 2+4=5756 does that make it right? Get real.
Circular logic does seems to beg the question.
Both theists and atheists often use circular logic attempting to prove metaphysical mysteries?
Scientific proof of God seems impossible..
Atheism seems a dead end to many.. a negative philosophy championed by the ancient Greeks with some merit.

Trolls who object to people posting seem the most amusing
Patrick

United States

#1184 Sep 24, 2014
In the news, view on truth and its issues

Pope Francis has said the Catholic Church does not have “magic wand” for evangelizing people as he met with over 2,000 pastoral workers from across 60 countries.

The Pontiff told the international meeting on 'the joy of announcing the gospel' the Church’s main task now is bringing the messages within the Bible to the wider world.

However, he said evangelizing the public be heard work at times and pastoral workers should have “patience and perseverance”, according to the Catholic News Agency.

"We don't have a magic wand for everything, but we do have trust in the Lord, who accompanies us and never abandons us," he said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europ...

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#1185 Sep 24, 2014
Patrick n Angela wrote:
<quoted text>
Circular logic does seems to beg the question.
Both theists and atheists often use circular logic attempting to prove metaphysical mysteries?
Scientific proof of God seems impossible..
Atheism seems a dead end to many.. a negative philosophy championed by the ancient Greeks with some merit.
Trolls who object to people posting seem the most amusing
No one objects to having you post here--I don't at least. What we object to is spamming threads with wildly off-topic posts. If you really think it's important to present news articles that have nothing to do with the forum subject, much less the discussions in any given thread, you could start a new thread or two for that purpose (Coffee Poems and Crucial News might be good titles) or simply use the one I created for you. I, for one, will actually read some f them and occasionally even respond if you do that. But when your off-topic posts equal or outnumber the on-topic ones, they severely disrupt the flow of conversation. It's very rude and a gross violation of established netiquette.

Your first sentence gave me a pretty good chuckle--I assume the humor was intentional? But how is atheism a dead end or any kind of philosophy? For most modern nonbelievers, it is merely a single conclusion about a single question. It is not a guiding principle even if it does open intellectual pursuits and paths in life that religions would rather see closed off and frees up precious time, effort, and "mindspace" that would otherwise be spent worshipping, serving, and propitiating deities that don't exist. It is certainly not a coherent or consistent set of principles--it's way too simple to form even the most basic of philosophies.

That's why it's hard to get nonbelievers to band together in toto, much as the motivational speakers who advocate for it would like to make that happen. Nonbelief frees people to go their many ways and follow their own pursuits. It encourages individualism. It frees up enormous amounts of time. many of us have little or no desire to give any of those up and become joiners again. We're too frigging busy with real life to bother with yet another movement.

The main barrier for most believers to understanding atheism/skepticism/nonbelief is the notion that, since it supplants religion, it must fulfill the same needs and follow the same social and behavioral patterns that religion does. But many nonbelievers let go of those needs and break away from those patterns and go in directions that the faithful cannot fathom.

It's like jazz. If you don't know what it's about, no one can explain it to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 59
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 34 min Critical Eye 6,179
News Speaking for God 1 hr True Christian wi... 23
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Patrick n Angela 27,397
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr woodtick57 18,869
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 4 hr Patrick n Angela 8,186
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 hr Thinking 253,608
News 10 Signs Religious Fundamentalism Is in Decline (Jan '14) 5 hr Richard 105
More from around the web