Atheist students say good morals can ...

Atheist students say good morals can be practiced without a Bible

There are 1166 comments on the The Herald story from Oct 28, 2010, titled Atheist students say good morals can be practiced without a Bible. In it, The Herald reports that:

As its membership rapidly increases, the Secular Student Alliance of ASU, an atheist student organization, works to build a community of people to make Jonesboro a better place through charity work.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Herald.

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#1158 Jan 4, 2011
DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You're lucky, my mommy dearest was (and is) a manipulative control freak. Maybe that helped me realize that the bible was just more of the same old sthick.
Don't get me wrong, I tried very hard for many years yet the more I studied the more parallels I found.
C'est la vie.
Don't get me wrong, Mom was a tough old bird. Her nickname was Sarge. She raised me as a catholic, but didn't argue when I told her I couldn't stomach that crap any longer. When Cardinal Cody died, her reaction was "It's about damned time, the old SOB." She didn't suffer fools gladly.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1159 Jan 4, 2011
keltec 9mm wrote:
<quoted text>
Number of Christians by region
Europe
2000-----560 million
2005----555 million
Latin America
2000-----480 million
2005-----640 million
Africa
2000----360 million
2005---633 million
Asia
2000---313 million
2005---460 million
North America
2000---225 million
2005---310 million
Source-Jenkins page 3
http://www.stjohnadulted.org/worldchrist1.htm
Within the next twenty-five years the population of the world's Christians is expected to grow to 2.6 billion (making Christianity by far the world's largest faith)."
Philip Jenkins, Distinguished Professor of History and Religious Studies at Pennsylvania State University
Right. Being a professional christian Liar For Jeebuz would not compromise his "conclusions" any?

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1160 Jan 4, 2011
keltec 9mm wrote:
<quoted text>
The Twilight of Atheism: The Global Triumph of Christianity
DINESH D'SOUZA
http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/per...
Another Liar For Jeebuz website.

If " www.catholiceducation.org " published that the sun was going to come up in the East tomorrow?

I would probably get up early to see if something had happened to the sun.

So low is their credibility.

So much do they Lie For Jeebuz.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1161 Jan 4, 2011
proud atheist wrote:
The bible is full of daughters F&&Kin their fathers,Fathers sending their daughters out to get raped,leaders sending men off to war to be killed so they can steal their wives.Kane killing able.I rather have good old fashioned morals mother taught me thank you!!!
Indeed.

The "morals" as exampled by the BuyBull "god" are those of a selfish 2 year old's.

Only without the humanity of an actual 2 year old to temper it with..

“Stand Up for What You Believe!”

Since: Sep 08

La mia bell'Italia

#1162 Jan 5, 2011
The original post was 2/3 of the world don't believe in "that crap" I would assume the person was referring to religion as they did not specify Christianity. That is not a factual statement. And I still do not see any facts to back up the first post.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
2/3 of the world is not christian.
Thus? 2/3 of the world does not accept the christian bible as real.
It's common knowledge-- but it's hardly surprising you are unaware of the information.

La mia bell'Italia

#1163 Jan 5, 2011
That is an absolute lie. I stated the complete opposite: I am perplexed as to why you would lie when the post was so clearly stating the opposite of what you just wrote?

What I wrote verbatim was:

That may be true for some, but if I hurt someone irrevocably I would never just have the audacity to think the person forgave me. If I was truly sorry I would know God had forgiven me had I went through the Sacrament of Reconciliation, but to think another person forgives you because God does it not correct. People have a hard time with forgiveness; it is a very hard thing to do if the wrong was pain inflicted so severely.

Sorry, some people may not like my view on that, but I don't think because God has forgiven someone a human being does.
<quoted text>
Hypocrite. In your previous post, here " http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... ; you admitted that you do not bother to seek forgiveness, but instead rely on your silly church ritual...

La mia bell'Italia

#1164 Jan 5, 2011
Originally I followed the faith I was brought up in which is Catholicism. After a very profound loss though I took over a year- questioning and going within to see if it was still what I wanted. I was very mad at the injustice of what happened. My mother actually is no longer Catholic, but Episcopalian so I don't have any pressure to be Catholic. After that year or so of complete torture I came to the conclusion that it was not God's fault that I suffered the loss, but the person who committed the crime and went back to my faith. It was not the right thing in the Church's eyes what I did-questioning and being upset with God, but it was what I felt at the time. I went back by choice. I did go to a few other Christian churches and did not care for the service or the preaching.
<quoted text>
This is because those poor people have been brainwashed.
Did >>you<< "choose" to be catholic? Or did you simply go with the culture you were born into, like 99% of christians the world-over?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1165 Jan 5, 2011
East Haven 5 wrote:
The original post was 2/3 of the world don't believe in "that crap" I would assume the person was referring to religion as they did not specify Christianity. That is not a factual statement. And I still do not see any facts to back up the first post.
<quoted text>
Look... if they >>believed<< your christianity was accurate?

Complete with it's claim to be the >>only<< one?

Then... THEY WOULD BE CHRISTIANS.

Since they are >>NOT<< christian?

THEY DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE CRAP THAT IS CHRISTIANITY.

It cannot be any simpler than that.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1166 Jan 5, 2011
East Haven 5 wrote:
That is an absolute lie. I stated the complete opposite: I am perplexed as to why you would lie when the post was so clearly stating the opposite of what you just wrote?
What I wrote verbatim was:
That may be true for some, but if I hurt someone irrevocably I would never just have the audacity to think the person forgave me. If I was truly sorry I would know God had forgiven me had I went through the Sacrament of Reconciliation, but to think another person forgives you because God does it not correct. People have a hard time with forgiveness; it is a very hard thing to do if the wrong was pain inflicted so severely.
Sorry, some people may not like my view on that, but I don't think because God has forgiven someone a human being does.
<quoted text>
So you constantly contradict yourself?

That is quite typical of christians, too: internally inconsistent.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1167 Jan 5, 2011
East Haven 5 wrote:
Originally I followed the faith I was brought up in which is Catholicism. After a very profound loss though I took over a year- questioning and going within to see if it was still what I wanted. I was very mad at the injustice of what happened. My mother actually is no longer Catholic, but Episcopalian so I don't have any pressure to be Catholic. After that year or so of complete torture I came to the conclusion that it was not God's fault that I suffered the loss, but the person who committed the crime and went back to my faith. It was not the right thing in the Church's eyes what I did-questioning and being upset with God, but it was what I felt at the time. I went back by choice. I did go to a few other Christian churches and did not care for the service or the preaching.
<quoted text>
I stand by my claim: you stay with the brand you were brainwashed with as a tiny, defenseless child.

Even in the face of evidence that your god is a do-nothing god?

YOU WENT BACK TO THE COMFORT OF YOUR CHILDHOOD BRAINWASHING!

“Hello homo sapiens sapiens.”

Since: Mar 07

A galaxy near you.

#1168 Jan 5, 2011
Andie J wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get me wrong, Mom was a tough old bird. Her nickname was Sarge. She raised me as a catholic, but didn't argue when I told her I couldn't stomach that crap any longer. When Cardinal Cody died, her reaction was "It's about damned time, the old SOB." She didn't suffer fools gladly.
Well hurrah for dear old Sarge! She sounds like a hoot;0) Tough yes, but unconditional love is hard to beat.
tac

Pocahontas, AR

#1169 Mar 14, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a fair question. I suspect you're an atheist and therefore have no answer. If morals come only from the mind of man, what makes one man's ideas any better than the next?
What makes God's ideas any better than a man's?(if you want to play it that way)
tac

Pocahontas, AR

#1170 Mar 14, 2014
Andie J wrote:
<quoted text>But, Hedonist, jut because we find it abhorrent & think it's wrong, who are we to say it's morally or ethically wrong? Personally, I find it, oh my, can't find the words to describe how awful I feel it is. But----BIG but- do those of that society find it ethically wrong? Who are we, to impose our morals on someone else? You're getting on that slipperly slope to religitard there.
And just because a god says something is right/wrong, doesn't make it so either. All you are doing is circular logic. If you want to play it this way, then you may as well include the god in the circle. So, what if I don't agree with the god on moral things? What about non-moral things? If a god says 2+4=5756 does that make it right? Get real.

Banned

“This town is nuts...”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#1171 Mar 14, 2014
If they say they can manage to live a moral life without a Bible then I think they should be given the opportunity to prove themselves. Let's lift the requirement we currently have on all Atheists to use a Bible! What say ye Christians?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#1173 Mar 18, 2014
Banned wrote:
If they say they can manage to live a moral life without a Bible then I think they should be given the opportunity to prove themselves. Let's lift the requirement we currently have on all Atheists to use a Bible! What say ye Christians?
Do you assume that we are somehow held to your rules and regulations? We are atheist, that in itself has no connection to your bible. Atheism is the absence of theism. And that includes all theisms. From Voodoo to Christianity, we are atheist because we are not one of you indoctrinated lot.

Our morality comes from being human and not from any holy books. We are capable of seeing how good and bad human behavior affects both ourselves and others. And we also are capable of judging whether or not, and how and when we would commit these so called moral or immoral acts ourselves. Your filthy book is not what I would consider a moral enough base for my life, after all your god would hand over a raped girl child to be married to her rapist. Your unholy bible has nothing in it that wasn't already being used by mankind long before your Arab god was created.

So go ahead and lift your requirements, or leave them in place, we will never know whether you did or didn't.

Banned

“This town is nuts...”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#1174 Mar 18, 2014
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Do you assume that we are somehow held to your rules and regulations? We are atheist, that in itself has no connection to your bible. Atheism is the absence of theism. And that includes all theisms. From Voodoo to Christianity, we are atheist because we are not one of you indoctrinated lot.

Our morality comes from being human and not from any holy books. We are capable of seeing how good and bad human behavior affects both ourselves and others. And we also are capable of judging whether or not, and how and when we would commit these so called moral or immoral acts ourselves. Your filthy book is not what I would consider a moral enough base for my life, after all your god would hand over a raped girl child to be married to her rapist. Your unholy bible has nothing in it that wasn't already being used by mankind long before your Arab god was created.

So go ahead and lift your requirements, or leave them in place, we will never know whether you did or didn't.
I hope you are at the very low end of intelligence for atheists because you're not very bright.

Here's a news flash for you...there is no requirement that atheists use the Bible for anything. Get over yourself and your "new age" idea of the image you wish to portray. No one gives a crap that you are an atheist. Try being a true representation of what it means to be an atheists by not partaking in conversations about religion, God, or the Bible because you do not believe in them. Why would you bother talking about something that you do not believe in?

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#1175 Mar 19, 2014
Banned wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you are at the very low end of intelligence for atheists because you're not very bright.
Here's a news flash for you...there is no requirement that atheists use the Bible for anything. Get over yourself and your "new age" idea of the image you wish to portray. No one gives a crap that you are an atheist. Try being a true representation of what it means to be an atheists by not partaking in conversations about religion, God, or the Bible because you do not believe in them. Why would you bother talking about something that you do not believe in?
To better understand those who do.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#1176 Mar 19, 2014
Banned wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, Shortbus, let's back track a few paces.

Do you remember this? It is your post that I responded to >>>>> Banned wrote: "If they say they can manage to live a moral life without a Bible then I think they should be given the opportunity to prove themselves. Let's lift the requirement we currently have on all Atheists to use a Bible! What say ye Christians?",?

Now pay attention to this particular bit of your post >>>>> Banned wrote: Let's lift the requirement we currently have on all Atheists to use a Bible! "".

Does this jog any memories yet? How about now? >>> Banned wrote: "Let's lift the requirement".

BTW: Are you drunk?

Do you have any idea yet why I would respond to your crap?

Want a rude awakening?

I WAS A CHRISTAIN UNTIL I READ THE BUYBULL!

Nothing like the buybull, to empty out the churches. Try it sometimes, tell a toddler Sunday school class that the buybull god might make their parents cook and eat them. Jesus only loves them if they are male and Jewish, but any one of them might become a meal, according to Leviticus.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#1177 Mar 20, 2014
I wonder how people can look to a book that advocates killing gays and women who have sex before marriage as a moral document.

Ripley, TN

#1178 Mar 20, 2014
Reason Personified wrote:
I WAS A CHRISTAIN UNTIL I READ THE BUYBULL!
Nothing like the buybull, to empty out the churches. Try it sometimes, tell a toddler Sunday school class that the buybull god might make their parents cook and eat them. Jesus only loves them if they are male and Jewish, but any one of them might become a meal, according to Leviticus.
“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”- Isaac Asimov

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Big girl 48,409
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 9 hr Cuddles7668 21,864
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 hr ChristineM 23,486
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 hr Eagle 12 258,039
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 10 hr Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
Jesus Christ and Wisdom, Knowledge, Understandi... Nov 29 Richardfs 5
More from around the web