Atheist students say good morals can be practiced without a Bible

Oct 28, 2010 Full story: The Herald 1,166

As its membership rapidly increases, the Secular Student Alliance of ASU, an atheist student organization, works to build a community of people to make Jonesboro a better place through charity work.

Full Story
First Prev
of 59
Next Last

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#1 Oct 30, 2010
It's true they can, but they won't.

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#2 Oct 30, 2010
As always, Harold has failed to read the article.
nina

Surrey, Canada

#3 Oct 30, 2010
maybe he's saying that charity isn't possible

so I guess he's admitting his church who claims to be doing that work is futile too

Little Rock, AR

#4 Oct 30, 2010
Where do atheists believe morals originate?

Since: Dec 09

United States

#5 Oct 30, 2010
guest wrote:
I really have no say in this issue, but this is totally a loaded question that's used as a disingenuous debate tactic.
Genius

Little Rock, AR

#6 Oct 31, 2010
How many of the great philosophers you study in college and high school were atheists? Did they advocate doing evil? Nah. Bibles aren't required to do good. In fact, many more people hide behind their Bible to avoid helping mankind than actually get out and help someone in need. Kind of sad, really since Jesus's entire life and philosophy was based on helping those in need.

Little Rock, AR

#7 Oct 31, 2010
Belasrius wrote:
<quoted text>
I really have no say in this issue, but this is totally a loaded question that's used as a disingenuous debate tactic.
It's a fair question. I suspect you're an atheist and therefore have no answer. If morals come only from the mind of man, what makes one man's ideas any better than the next?

Little Rock, AR

#8 Oct 31, 2010
Genius wrote:
How many of the great philosophers you study in college and high school were atheists?
None. They were all theists. Even Hume had to admit that without the existence of God there would be no basis for morality.

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

#9 Oct 31, 2010
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
None. They were all theists. Even Hume had to admit that without the existence of God there would be no basis for morality.
I just found a list of 86 philosophers who are (or were) atheist. It sounds like you didn't cover too many.

Morality comes from within the brain. Intelligent people know the difference between right & wrong. They don't need an imaginary friend to tell them those things. Atheists don't need The Big Book of Life, The Universe and Everything to tell them how to live.

Location hidden

#10 Oct 31, 2010
Andie J wrote:
As always, Harold has failed to read the article.
I can tell it contained lies based on it's title. I don't read lies.

Location hidden

#11 Oct 31, 2010
nina wrote:
maybe he's saying that charity isn't possible
so I guess he's admitting his church who claims to be doing that work is futile too
You're wrong. That's what you get for guessing and free thinking (same thing)

Location hidden

#12 Oct 31, 2010
guest wrote:
Atheists have hope and faith that morals originate from their own minds, but we know that would be as likely as starting a campfire at the bottom of a brimming 9 foot swimming pool.

Location hidden

#13 Oct 31, 2010
Genius wrote:
Bibles aren't required to do good..
That's funny, seems the mess our society proves just the opposite. The atheist push to ban bible teaching in schools, no prayer before municipal meetings, ballgames, and other events, no display of 10 cmdmts, all has led to an increase in every crime category, especially school and mall shootings.

Atheists are proving themselves wrong each day.

United States

#14 Oct 31, 2010
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a fair question. I suspect you're an atheist and therefore have no answer. If morals come only from the mind of man, what makes one man's ideas any better than the next?
Hasty generalizations or assumptions are also lame.

United States

#15 Oct 31, 2010
Harold Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists have hope and faith that morals originate from their own minds, but we know that would be as likely as starting a campfire at the bottom of a brimming 9 foot swimming pool.
Yes sir, and if your religion and fear of eternal punishment is the only thing keeping you personally from doing bad things, what does that say about your humanity?

United States

#16 Oct 31, 2010
Harold Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny, seems the mess our society proves just the opposite. The atheist push to ban bible teaching in schools, no prayer before municipal meetings, ballgames, and other events, no display of 10 cmdmts, all has led to an increase in every crime category, especially school and mall shootings.
Atheists are proving themselves wrong each day.
The Bible can be taught in a historical context.

Government sponsored prayer is a violation of the 1st Amendment. However, prayer is still allowed in schools just that it be private, and prayer groups are even allowed. So this is a complete fabrication.

10 Commandments: Oh boy, Roy Moore and his nuttiness. See 1st Amendment.

Crime has gone up since there? What? Can you prove that.

Your last point of them be proved wrong makes no sense. You're argument was poorly constructed.
EdSed

East Kilbride, UK

#17 Oct 31, 2010
guest wrote:
Where does any such concept originate. In the mind of man. Where else?

“Snow days!”

A winter wonderland

#18 Oct 31, 2010
Belasrius wrote:
<quoted text>

Your last point of them be proved wrong makes no sense. You're argument was poorly constructed.
Oh but, you see, being nonsensical won't stop him. He continues to conjure up thoughts like this each & every day. Poor little man. Living with that wasteland of a brain.....
General Franco

Little Rock, AR

#19 Oct 31, 2010
Belasrius wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible can be taught in a historical context.Gov ernment sponsored prayer is a violation of the 1st Amendment. However, prayer is still allowed in schools just that it be private, and prayer groups are even allowed. So this is a complete fabrication.10 Commandments: Oh boy, Roy Moore and his nuttiness. See 1st Amendment.Crime has gone up since there? What? Can you prove that.Your last point of them be proved wrong makes no sense. You're argument was poorly constructed.
Please explain to me where in the first amendment does it state "separation of church and state"?

United States

#20 Oct 31, 2010
General Franco wrote:
<quoted text>Please explain to me where in the first amendment does it state "separation of church and state"?
First you have to understand it's meaning and realize that there's more to a language than verbatim.

Start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Establishment_Cl...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 59
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 19 min _Bad Company 1,016
Heaven 23 min Mr Duplicity 5
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 42 min Dave Nelson 228,589
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 53 min Eman 22,923
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Thinking 708
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr Jaimie 154
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 2 hr Thinking 8

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE