Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens: New Atheists flirt with Islamophobia

Mar 30, 2013 Full story: Salon 7

Richard Dawkins, the preppy septuagenarian and professional atheist whose work in the field of evolutionary biology informs his godless worldview, has always been a prickly fellow.

Full Story

“you must not give faith”

Since: Jul 12

Nottingham, UK

#1 Mar 31, 2013
Islamophobia is not a bad thing, it is good to fear religion. However Islamophobia has been hijack by racists to justify decimation, and ironically most of these racists are Christian, which is funny seeing as many of the reasons to fear Christianity are the same as the reasons to fear Islam.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#2 Mar 31, 2013
More boring Roboblogger drivel.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#3 Mar 31, 2013
EdSed wrote:
More boring Roboblogger drivel.
Yeah, I would have deleted it, but I thought that might deprive people of a bit of fun...
Libertarian

London, UK

#4 Apr 3, 2013
Is it wrong that religion scares the crap out of me?

If I had the choice I wouldn't be near someone who believes in such utter rubbish.

Not Islamaphobia, for me it's allsuperstitiousrubbish phobia
Thinking

Staines, UK

#5 Apr 3, 2013
I don't fear islam.
I dislike it intensely.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#6 Apr 3, 2013
Like Christians, most Muslims are pretty normal. They get up, go through their daily routines, go home, eat, rest, and do it again. Lennon's working class heroes. Both groups have extremists, but Islam combines a sense of otherness, an almost nationalistic hostility to non-Islamic nations, that sets them apart from Christian extremists and makes them more dangerous because they tend to organize more internationally. It would be foolish to ignore this, and acknowledging it is not bigotry but an openness to unpleasant realities.

At the same time, there is no reason to treat individual Mulsims or moderate Muslim groups any differently that we do anyone else. Most Muslims are pretty normal.
Thinking

Staines, UK

#7 Apr 3, 2013
What is it they say? "Don't hate the sinner..."
NightSerf wrote:
Like Christians, most Muslims are pretty normal. They get up, go through their daily routines, go home, eat, rest, and do it again. Lennon's working class heroes. Both groups have extremists, but Islam combines a sense of otherness, an almost nationalistic hostility to non-Islamic nations, that sets them apart from Christian extremists and makes them more dangerous because they tend to organize more internationally. It would be foolish to ignore this, and acknowledging it is not bigotry but an openness to unpleasant realities.
At the same time, there is no reason to treat individual Mulsims or moderate Muslim groups any differently that we do anyone else. Most Muslims are pretty normal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God' existence 36 min polymath257 84
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 233,055
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr serfs up 2,606
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr J RULES 23,239
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr thetruth 165
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 4 hr Mikko 5
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Mikko 1,452
More from around the web