The sins and neglect of fathers leads to atheism, says author

Nov 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Religion News Service

Sigmund Freud claimed that once a child or youth is disappointed in or loses respect for his earthly father, belief in a heavenly father becomes impossible.

Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Nov 16, 2013

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#1 Nov 7, 2013
That is the smelliest bullshit I've ever heard from christards

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#2 Nov 7, 2013
Mikko wrote:
You have to remember, intelligence is not their forte.
wee

Hazleton, PA

#3 Nov 8, 2013
Most psychologists are christards. Just look at the pay scale and you will get a good laugh.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#4 Nov 9, 2013
Mikko wrote:
My christard "parents" were abusive cultists. They burned library books - which *I* had to repay the library for - if they didn't like the content. I ended up never bringing books home, reading mostly at the public library.

I ended up an atheist because I wanted to be educated, because I chose and learnt how to think. If "sin" had anything to do with it, it was the racism, hate, violence, hypocrisy and ignorance of my parents which drove me to live a better life than they did.

I don't have kids, but if I do, those two won't ever get to see them. I don't know if they're alive or dead anymore and don't care. The last time I had heard about them, they were involved in the physical abuse of my nieces (my sister's kids), encouraging beatings as a "solution" to disobedience (read: kids asking questions).

“Shoot for the stars”

Planet Earth

#5 Nov 9, 2013
P_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
My christard "parents" were abusive cultists. They burned library books - which *I* had to repay the library for - if they didn't like the content. I ended up never bringing books home, reading mostly at the public library.
I ended up an atheist because I wanted to be educated, because I chose and learnt how to think. If "sin" had anything to do with it, it was the racism, hate, violence, hypocrisy and ignorance of my parents which drove me to live a better life than they did.
I don't have kids, but if I do, those two won't ever get to see them. I don't know if they're alive or dead anymore and don't care. The last time I had heard about them, they were involved in the physical abuse of my nieces (my sister's kids), encouraging beatings as a "solution" to disobedience (read: kids asking questions).
I'm truly sorry that happened to you, Mikko. We can pick our friends, but we can't pick our parents. Your parents most likely lived and learned abuse from their parents going back many generations. You gained the courage and inner strength to break that cycle. Kudos to you! You will make a great parent one day, Mikko! You know exactly what not to do, since you experienced abuse, and you'll give the nurturing, love, support, etc......to your children and your children will also carry that on. Peace my friend :-)

“Shoot for the stars”

Planet Earth

#6 Nov 9, 2013
P Smith, I apologize for calling you Mikko! The first poster's name stuck in my head, but my post is for you. Peace to you my friend!
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#7 Nov 9, 2013
Religion is usually parent-given as shown by the fact that children who are religious usually accept the religion they're parents advocate. So it follows that a poor relationship between parent and child may result in failure by the parent to pass their superstitions and prejudices on to their offspring.

If one religion can be rejected then it's reasonable to reject them all.
http://www.godchecker.com/

Religion = superstition
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#8 Nov 9, 2013
well, it makes sense that bad older men mostly concocted notions of god to be like themselves, so they made their gods full of nasty characteristics - rapists and killers and warmongers and corrupt and full of whims and preferences for what I call a-k's (sic-o-pants is the term I use when I tease my dogs for excessive loyalty and affection).

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#9 Nov 9, 2013
I'm glad that my parents aren't religious

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#10 Nov 10, 2013
Mikko wrote:
I'm _glad_ that my parents aren't religious
You misspelt "fortunate".^_^

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

#12 Nov 11, 2013
Mikko wrote:
The sins and neglect of their mythical, magical. skydad led to my atheism.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#13 Nov 12, 2013
My parents were never neglectful. My dad was a hard working man who often held two jobs to support the family. He did not gamble, drink to excess or chase women. In short, he was neither neglectful or 'sinful'. But, he did teach me to think for myself, and not to back down if I thought I was right. My atheism is not any sort of rebellion against my parents, which is what the article suggests. It is the product of thought and searching. Theists would prefer to find 'reasons' for atheism like adolescent rebellion because those 'reasons' allow them to continue to deny that thinking leads to examination of their beliefs, and that those beliefs won't stand up to examination.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#15 Nov 13, 2013
P_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
That is really sad. We all have had to go through similar experiences at the hands of the mental illness of faith, which society has neglected to act upon.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#16 Nov 13, 2013
EdSed wrote:
Religion is usually parent-given as shown by the fact that children who are religious usually accept the religion they're parents advocate. So it follows that a poor relationship between parent and child may result in failure by the parent to pass their superstitions and prejudices on to their offspring.
If one religion can be rejected then it's reasonable to reject them all.
http://www.godchecker.com/
Religion = superstition
You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!

(Lyrics from "Carefully Taught" from the musical "South Pacific")
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#17 Nov 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!
(Lyrics from "Carefully Taught" from the musical "South Pacific")
So when considering how people become religious it isn't just me who thinks of that song from South Pacific, then.

Whenever I look at images of people worshipping a god I think of the Hans C Anderson story of the Emperor's clothes...
https://www.google.co.uk/search...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prayer
a. A reverent petition made to God, a god, or another object of worship.
b. The act of making a reverent petition to God, a god, or another object of worship.
2. An act of communion with God, a god, or another object of worship, such as in devotion, confession, praise, or thanksgiving: One evening a week, the family would join together in prayer.
3. A specially worded form used to address God, a god, or another object of worship.
4. prayers A religious observance in which praying predominates: morning prayers.......
Unquote.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 23 min Eagle 12 226,338
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 43 min Patrick 21,502
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr CunningLinguist 422
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 3 hr Jaimie 46
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 6 hr Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 6 hr Patrick 172
100% Faith Free 10 hr Thinking 11
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••