Atheism & Death

Atheism & Death

There are 20505 comments on the About.com story from May 27, 2010, titled Atheism & Death. In it, About.com reports that:

There was discussion here recently about atheist and Christian attitudes towards death .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at About.com.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#14535 Oct 24, 2010
funforall wrote:
<quoted text>
I am asserting that Bible prophecy has ben fulfilled.
Jesus acknowledged that there would be wars continuously, but then he said there would be a one of a kind war that would be the beginning of the time of the end. And he mentioned other features that would happen at the same time as this new kind of war, i.e. World War I and World War II.
*Matthew 24
6 YOU are going to hear of wars and reports of wars; see that YOU are not terrified. For these things must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. 8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress. 9 “Then people will deliver YOU up to tribulation
The prophecies concerning the time of the end are being fulfilled exactly as Jesus said they would be. World War I may be far enough removed that you don't think of it anything unusual or significant, but it was to those living at that time.
http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/maga...
Conditions on the earth now are fullfilling Bible prophecy and warning us that we are in the time of the end. Ignore it at your own peril.
I'd like to know the statistics ... how many times in the last two thousand years have "biblical scholars" announced the fulfillment of the prophecies and the imminent "end times". Who keeps such records? The fools making the predictions NEVER tally their bad calls and most of us have better things to do. I would GUESS it happens several times in every generation ...

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#14536 Oct 24, 2010
Sola Script 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. People will not die for what they think or believe is a lie.
As many other former soldiers will attest to, the "truth" is not very high on the list of priorities while in active service. Only a small minority of unhappy soldiers openly question the rightness or wrongness of decisions that their leaders make.(Of course, among equals, expressing concerns that all the leaders are jerkwad idiots is is just part of comradery. When it comes to obeying orders, orders are obeyed.)

The highest priorities include getting the respect of fellow soldiers and getting approval from those above. A soldier is in survival mode, relative both to the command he serves in and the enemy he may face.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#14537 Oct 24, 2010
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone showed me a program once, that "animated" this information (wars, changing spheres of influence, borders) on a globe that you could vary the time on and click for details. It was a very interesting tool to display the vagaries of human history. Has anybody seen something like this software? I'd love to have it.
I'm gonna look for that.

Location hidden

#14538 Oct 24, 2010
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
As many other former soldiers will attest to, the "truth" is not very high on the list of priorities while in active service. Only a small minority of unhappy soldiers openly question the rightness or wrongness of decisions that their leaders make.(Of course, among equals, expressing concerns that all the leaders are jerkwad idiots is is just part of comradery. When it comes to obeying orders, orders are obeyed.)
The highest priorities include getting the respect of fellow soldiers and getting approval from those above. A soldier is in survival mode, relative both to the command he serves in and the enemy he may face.
Most theists find it incomprehensible atheists could be members or former members of the Military.

It totally blows their preconceived notions(again)of exactly who is an atheist, might be an atheist, and couldn't be an atheist.
jack13

United States

#14539 Oct 24, 2010
funforall wrote:
<quoted text>
I am asserting that Bible prophecy has ben fulfilled.
Jesus acknowledged that there would be wars continuously, but then he said there would be a one of a kind war that would be the beginning of the time of the end. And he mentioned other features that would happen at the same time as this new kind of war, i.e. World War I and World War II.
*Matthew 24
6 YOU are going to hear of wars and reports of wars; see that YOU are not terrified. For these things must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. 8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress. 9 “Then people will deliver YOU up to tribulation
The prophecies concerning the time of the end are being fulfilled exactly as Jesus said they would be. World War I may be far enough removed that you don't think of it anything unusual or significant, but it was to those living at that time.
http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/maga...
Conditions on the earth now are fullfilling Bible prophecy and warning us that we are in the time of the end. Ignore it at your own peril.
Amazing isn't it when you remember that Paul predicted all of this would take place in his life time, and pointed out why he so predicted. And how many times, down through history, has someone said the world was about to end? I can think of at least a hundred in my life time. For all of us, the world will end for us with our death, but life will continue on earth.

“Don't get me started”

Minneapolis

#14540 Oct 24, 2010
Sola Script 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you can't prove God does not exist. I'm letting you off the hook on that. I asking you to give proof that the universe came from nothing (no laws of nature existed or that the universe is eternal) or that it is impossible for the supernatural to exist (which means you would have to have exhaustive knowledge) or that your ability to think comes from chemical processes only in your brain. I'm claiming all these things require intelligence (God). You will have to say they do not. Now give me some reasons that mindless forces are a better explanation.
My own view is that "nothing" has never existed. There had to be something for our universe to expand into. But all that would be required for matter to eventually form is energy. As Einstein has shown, mass converts to energy and energy converts to mass. They are two versions of the same thing. The laws of physics come into play when energy becomes mass.

There is no limit to the amount of complexity that matter may express. Anything that is possible, given time, eventually becomes probable. There is no need for supernatural when all the possibilities can be allowed by natural forces.
Sola Script 1

San Jose, CA

#14541 Oct 24, 2010
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I notice you didn't have anything to mention about Eisenman.
Lets look.
About Robert H. Eisenman
Robert Eisenman is the author of The New Testament Code: The Cup of the Lord, the Damascus Covenant, and the Blood of Christ (2006), James the Brother of Jesus: The Key to Unlocking the Secrets of Early Christianity and the Dead Sea Scrolls (1998), The Dead Sea Scrolls and the First Christians (1996), Islamic Law in Palestine and Israel: A History of the Survival of Tanzimat and Shari'ah (1978), and co-editor of The Facsimile Edition of the Dead Sea Scrolls (1989) and The Dead Sea Scrolls Uncovered (1992).
He is Professor of Middle East Religions and Archaeology and Islamic Law and the Director of the Institute for the Study of Judeo-Christian Origins at California State University Long Beach and Visiting Senior Member of Linacre College, Oxford. He holds a B.A. from Cornell University in Philosophy and Engineering Physics (1958), an M.A. from New York University in Near Eastern Studies (1966), and a Ph.D from Columbia University in Middle East Languages and Cultures and Islamic Law (1971). He was a Senior Fellow at the Oxford Centre for Postgraduate Hebrew Studies and an American Endowment for the Humanities Fellow-in-Residence at the Albright Institute of Archaeological Research in Jerusalem, where the Dead Sea Scrolls were first examined.
In 1991-92, he was the Consultant to the Huntington Library in San Marino, California on its decision to open its archives and allow free access for all scholars to the previously unpublished Scrolls. In 2002, he was the first to publicly announce that the so-called 'James Ossuary', which so suddenly and 'miraculously' appeared, was fraudulent; and he did this on the very same day it was made public on the basis of the actual inscription itself and what it said without any 'scientific' or 'pseudo-scientific' aids.
I included Eisenman , since he IS an accepted and respected scholar and authority in these matters.
Because, you know, to represent both sides of the coin.
No doubt he is a qualified scholar.

Location hidden

#14542 Oct 24, 2010
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to know the statistics ... how many times in the last two thousand years have "biblical scholars" announced the fulfillment of the prophecies and the imminent "end times". Who keeps such records? The fools making the predictions NEVER tally their bad calls and most of us have better things to do. I would GUESS it happens several times in every generation ...
I have to think the Crusades were numero uno on the list of "the last days". If you look at the period in history and factor in the Dark Ages and the relatively close proximity of the Black Plague, that entire timeline is far more bleak than anything since.

I bet there was a Sola and funforall on every street corner warning people to repent etc...

But, again, just like for the previous 1500 years it was a no-show(the Jesus bringing hellfire, damnation and holy obliteration to the eager cannibals of the numerous nations).

How dare he.
Sola Script 1

San Jose, CA

#14543 Oct 24, 2010
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
My own view is that "nothing" has never existed. There had to be something for our universe to expand into. But all that would be required for matter to eventually form is energy. As Einstein has shown, mass converts to energy and energy converts to mass. They are two versions of the same thing. The laws of physics come into play when energy becomes mass.
There is no limit to the amount of complexity that matter may express. Anything that is possible, given time, eventually becomes probable. There is no need for supernatural when all the possibilities can be allowed by natural forces.
It is not true "Anything that is possible, given time". One of current theories for the future of the universe is that in trillions of years all the atoms in universe will break up and there will be no matter. As the universe continues to expand forever it will become colder and colder because all the energy will be used up. No more stars, no more matter. Secondly, the laws of the universe do not allow for just anything to happen.

“Don't get me started”

Minneapolis

#14544 Oct 24, 2010
Artiste wrote:
Look at the recent case of a homosexual Saudi prince who had a black male slave (also a Muslim) who he was screwing and then he beat him to death.
One homosexual male killing another homosexual male and both of them were Muslims screwing in the name of Allah. Arabs still have black slaves but nobody in America talks about it, do they? I've never heard one word exposing or condemning it in the mainstream media of America, but they sure go on and on about slavery that happened 150 years ago! I refuse to buy their 'guilt trip' because I've never owned slaves!
Yup. You have nothing to feel guilty about. The time when christians preached slavery from the pulpit are long gone. So why are you defending yourself?
Sola Script 1

San Jose, CA

#14545 Oct 24, 2010
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
What are the credentials of the writers of the NT? I could not find any on them.
The writers of the NT were either apostles such as Matthew, Peter and John or one associated closely with an apostle such as Mark and Luke.

Location hidden

#14546 Oct 24, 2010
Sola Script 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt he is a qualified scholar.
He seems to be versed in language and Jewish law.

Theology is a very weak area of education to begin with.

Its like having a degree in the Zodiac, or "belief".

For what its worth.
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#14547 Oct 24, 2010
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it would-- except that bible-worshipers have no shame.
None at all, in fact.....
.... when it comes to their god's shortcomings, that is.
I completely agree with that. The conversations on the atheist forum are y far the most intelligent and intereting on topix, among the varieties of non-believers, mostly, and occasionally in reply to the nuttiest of believers. Too bad we do not attract any really kind and nice believers who do not believe very much of the conventional religious view -= someone with a more mystical, or spiritual, or ethical emphasis, for example.
Sola Script 1

San Jose, CA

#14548 Oct 24, 2010
jack13 wrote:
<quoted text> Are you saying that bigotry is only indlulged agaist Blacks? Throughout history bigotry has existed against anything in any culture not of a norm for the culture. Men were bigoted against women until around the start of the 20Th century. Remember, they did not get the vote till 1928. Blacks had the vote at the end of the civil war. This indicates that the voting majority was bigoted against women till them Civil right is not based on race. It is based on the denial of equal rights for all citizens. When you would deny any group of Americans the same rights that the majority enjoy, you are a bigot.
If bigotry is based on denying rights to people then we are all bigots. There is a group of people who want polgamy so that makes those that oppose it bigots. Correct?
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#14549 Oct 24, 2010
Sola Script 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not true "Anything that is possible, given time". One of current theories for the future of the universe is that in trillions of years all the atoms in universe will break up and there will be no matter. As the universe continues to expand forever it will become colder and colder because all the energy will be used up. No more stars, no more matter. Secondly, the laws of the universe do not allow for just anything to happen.
It seems we have someone here who knows not only the future, but the entire future, to the extent that we are assured that it is not true that "Anything is possible, given time." (I think the word "that" in her sentence was unnecessary). She seems to know what the laws of the universe allow for - apparently all over the entire universe, and for all time. Are we impressed?
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#14550 Oct 24, 2010
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
He seems to be versed in language and Jewish law.
Theology is a very weak area of education to begin with.
Its like having a degree in the Zodiac, or "belief".
For what its worth.
sort of like having a major in intellectual history with an emphasis in stupid ideas.
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#14551 Oct 24, 2010
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to think the Crusades were numero uno on the list of "the last days". If you look at the period in history and factor in the Dark Ages and the relatively close proximity of the Black Plague, that entire timeline is far more bleak than anything since.
I bet there was a Sola and funforall on every street corner warning people to repent etc...
But, again, just like for the previous 1500 years it was a no-show(the Jesus bringing hellfire, damnation and holy obliteration to the eager cannibals of the numerous nations).
How dare he.
It is fun to look up Russell's Teapot. Thanks.

By the way, how can Christianity reconcile the notion of going to heaven after one dies, and the Armageddon scenarios where folks get summoned up out of their graves? more like Halloween than a spiritual concept.
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#14552 Oct 24, 2010
Sola Script 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If bigotry is based on denying rights to people then we are all bigots. There is a group of people who want polgamy so that makes those that oppose it bigots. Correct?
No, because not every claim by every person to have a right to do this or that, is a valid claim, supported by a sufficient rationale. Some want privileges and call them rights. The rights of young men in many FLDS communities are trampled upon, when they are kicked out of their communities, if they are not useful to the high status, powerful men, because those older more powerful men want to have multiple wives, and to rape even more young women. The rights of young women - and of all young persons - are denied when they are brainwashed by a lunatic religion. Parents may claim the right to miseducate their children - society may decide they do not have such rights.
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#14553 Oct 24, 2010
Parents in some cults claim the right to deny their own children medical attention. Society can use the welfare clause of the Constitution to justify laws protecting children from dreadful, negligent, superstitious or crazy parents. These are state police powers, for health and safety of all persons, including children, and their protection against abuse, even by their parents, or a wife from her husband.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#14554 Oct 24, 2010
mike duquette wrote:
<quoted text>That sort of tecnology would probably never happen as long as the majority of the world believes that gods control the universe. Many of these believers block stem cell research due to this belief. What do you think they would say when someone wants to play masters of the universe? Didn't Christians protest that show?
You speak as if we still live in the Dark Age and the RCC still prohibits scientific research which simply isn't so. I don't see anybody blocking stem cell research yet, as far as I can tell the labs have continued their research.
I don't know about anybody protesting about the show and I don't care, it was just a cartoon, who cares? I do like the SuperHero Squad show though, it's funny.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 min Regolith Based Li... 27,749
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 min IB DaMann 58,725
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 2 hr Hedonist Heretic 1,971
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 2 hr Hedonist Heretic 214
News Distrust of the non-religious runs deep in Amer... 11 hr Lawrence Wolf 125
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 14 hr Dogen 2,083
News Washington court rules against florist in gay w... Mon Amused 65
More from around the web