of 2
Next Last

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#21 Dec 1, 2012
Justme wrote:
<quoted text>
... seized at control, both within and outside of institutions of organized religion...
Religion doesn't need to "seize control", you are taught from before you can hardly walk that you are a "sinner" who must bow down before your master if you hope to be "saved" in the "afterlife". If they waited until after a person has reach an age of reasoning ability, their numbers would quickly dwindle.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#22 Dec 1, 2012
Justme wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I see. How did you originally come to Christianity? Did you believe in God strongly for a long time or was it kind of a back and forth thing for you?
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I was adopted into a Pentecostal family, where indoctrination began as soon as a child could begin to understand English. For me it was reading the bible, which began as punishment for asking questions. What I found there-in did not coalesce with the teachings that I had endured.

My interest was peaked. I believed completely in the Christain god Jehovah, but began to disbelieve the bible itself. It took some time for me to discover that the bible god had but the single source from whence he sprang. No not the buybull, it was the Abrahamic religions which gave birth to that particular construct of a god. It was from older religions that they found the stuff to mold into Jehovah.

Certain bible passages, as surely as if they had been emblazoned across the sky, told me that the god was nothing more than man's tool. Imagine a loving god who would force a parent to eat his/her own child. My disbelief began with Ezekiel 26:29
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#23 Dec 4, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the very words that are used to describe the congregation - flock, sheep, lambs ... people attend mass ... you are taught from birth that humans are worthless sinners who will never amount to anything without the church for guidance .... etc., etc. etc. ad nauseum.
Christianity is not a religion; it's an industry. And they want 10% of your money just so they can tell you that money is the root of all evil. And the people buy it.
----------
"Religion is always in the control business and that's something people don't really understand. It's in the guilt-producing, control business.... and so they create this fiery place which has quite literally scared the hell out of a lot of people throughout christian history. And it's part of a control tactic" ... "The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because you can't control grown-ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're 'born again' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up." ~ John Shelby Spong, retired Episcopal bishop
----------
“I should not believe in the Gospel if I had not the authority of the Church for so doing.”(St. Augustine, against the epistle entitled”“Of the Foundation”
----------
“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.”~ Seneca the Younger
"How can you have order in a state without religion? For, when one man is dying of hunger near another who is ill of surfeit, he cannot resign himself to this difference unless there is an authority which declares 'God wills it thus.' Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
“Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is.”~ Mahatma Gandhi
“So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.”~ Bertrand Russell
“As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers.”~ Robert G. Ingersoll
Fantastic post.

Since: Dec 11

Perth, Western Australia

#24 Dec 4, 2012
I was christened as an Anglican (protestant)and my path to atheism was actually quite unintentionally set in motion at the age of 14 by my grandmother when my interest in history lead her to tell me "Read the Bible it's the most accurate historical document there is."

While reading I started to notice contradictions, historical inaccuracies and impossibilities as well as acceptance of acts and behaviours most people in modern society find abhorrent.

This led me to question the infallibility, morality and even the existence of the bible god.

I then decided to look into other religions as well as previous belief systems now dismissed as myths. This all eventually lead to me being for lack of a better term a "fully fledged" atheist by the age of 16.

I guess I have to thank my grandmother not only did she set me free of faith she allowed me to develop a healthy scepticism that I may never have developed otherwise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 19 min ChristineM 228,558
Our world came from nothing? 31 min Richardfs 698
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Dally Mama 5,587
Heaven 4 hr susanblange 2
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 6 hr Patrick 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 6 hr Patrick 152
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 14 hr Patrick 140

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE