Woman burned alive for 'sorcery' in Papua New Guinea

Feb 8, 2013 | Posted by: NightSerf | Full story: www.bbc.co.uk

A woman has been tortured and burned alive in Papua New Guinea after being accused of using sorcery to kill a young boy, local media report.

The woman, a mother aged 20 named as Kepari Leniata, was stripped, tied up and doused in petrol by the boy's relatives in Mount Hagen in the Western Highlands, said the National newspaper.

She was then thrown onto a fire in front of hundreds of people.

Police and firefighters were unable to intervene, the paper said.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Religious people are dangerous

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

This mindset is absolutely no different that American Christians blaming hurricanes on acceptance of gays.
Amused

Princeton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Religion kills. Sometimes people, sometimes just brain cells.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

The BBC link has a couple of other related story links. Apparently this isn't just one isolated case, but one of many cases of suspected sorcerers either being burned to death or stoned to death.

PNG holds 'sorcery murders' probe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/81435...

"Senior police in Papua New Guinea said the latest three murders, in Chimbu province, north-west of the capital Port Moresby, were gruesome.

Two victims were pummelled by villagers armed with rocks and stones, while a third was burnt alive.

Two other women were rescued by relatives after they were locked away inside their home, which was then set on fire."

And in another link:

PNG to act on 'sorcery murders'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/78255...

"Police say at least 50 people were killed last year across the country."

Since: Sep 10

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

NINETY SIX percent of Papuans are christians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Papu...

How soon will US christard attempt to claim that they aren't, try to blame the few thousand muslims?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Oh the joys and wonders Christianity brings. Christians here would do the same thing if they could.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

P_Smith wrote:
How soon will US christard attempt to claim that they aren't, try to blame the few thousand muslims?
It wouldn't wash at any rate because the Christian majority in the local police force would not have had that initial reluctance to investigate the crime reported in the first article if the perpetrators had been Muslim, now would they?
Siro

Leichhardt, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

P_Smith wrote:
Most people identify themselves as Christians for the census, most people are followers of Christian beliefs syncretised with animism.
eg. cargo cult

You deadbeat blowhard
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Yes, christianity has stolen from other religions. That's not news.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Most people identify themselves as Christians for the census, most people are followers of Christian beliefs syncretised with animism.
eg. cargo cult
You deadbeat blowhard

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Awwww when Christians do something bad say they weren't really Christians eh? Sorry but burning witches to death is a Christian thing not surprising in a huge Christian majority country. Oops I guess in this case you don't wanna talk about Christian majorities, only when it suits you but hey rejoice in this burning for it shows that increasing numbers of Christians!
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
eg. cargo cult
You deadbeat blowhard
Amused

North Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

This sort of thing also happens with distressing regularity in sub-saharan Africa. Hundreds of "witches" are killed there every year, mostly old women, mostly poor women. It happens in both christian and muslim areas. Religion kills.
Siro

Leichhardt, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Yes, christianity has stolen from other religions. That's not news.
<quoted text>
And atheists steal from everyone else
Givemeliberty wrote:
Awwww when Christians do something bad say they weren't really Christians eh? Sorry but burning witches to death is a Christian thing not surprising in a huge Christian majority country. Oops I guess in this case you don't wanna talk about Christian majorities, only when it suits you but hey rejoice in this burning for it shows that increasing numbers of Christians!
<quoted text>
And this has what to do with me?
Do you want to attack Christianity because of you being butthurt by me?
You know I am not a Christian but your obsessive psychosis about hating Christianity means you look for even the slightest excuse (or none at all) to deliver some nonsense rant so why bother dragging me into it?
Amused wrote:
This sort of thing also happens with distressing regularity in sub-saharan Africa. Hundreds of "witches" are killed there every year, mostly old women, mostly poor women. It happens in both christian and muslim areas. Religion kills.
And yet if a white person says anything about it you are the first to scream racism.

Assroaches
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Calm down, dear.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You know I am not a Christian but your obsessive psychosis about hating Christianity means you look for even the slightest excuse (or none at all) to deliver some nonsense rant so why bother dragging me into it?
<quoted text>
And yet if a white person says anything about it you are the first to scream racism.
Assroaches

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Go talk it over with your Preacher this Sunday.... Or maybe your shrink :)

Seriously do you have any idea how unglued you look?
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Assroaches
Mr Smartypants

Mayer, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
And idiots who make vague blanket generalizations sing Carmen Miranda show tunes and bark at the moon.
Nothing because you're not really a Christian, judging by your behavior which would be considered flaky by the standards of any self-respecting atheist.
Butthurt? Another homosexual innuendo by the resident Topix latent homo? Maybe if you just came out of the closet already, you wouldn't behave in an asinine way that actually drives people away from Christianity.
Of course you're not a Christian. You're just a sexually-frustrated closet case who attacks atheists for whatever murky sexual issues you have.
<quoted text>
Assroaches
Assroaches? Another gay innuendo? Again, I have nothing against happy, out-of-the-closet gays. It's just the latent-homosexual jerks who project their inner turmoil on others that fill me with contempt.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Assroaches
Explains to us all with your mighty intelligence where it says atheists steal stuff? or are supposed to..?
Siro

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Mr Smartypants wrote:
<quoted text>
And idiots who make vague blanket generalizations sing Carmen Miranda show tunes and bark at the moon.
<quoted text>
Nothing because you're not really a Christian, judging by your behavior which would be considered flaky by the standards of any self-respecting atheist.
<quoted text>
Butthurt? Another homosexual innuendo by the resident Topix latent homo? Maybe if you just came out of the closet already, you wouldn't behave in an asinine way that actually drives people away from Christianity.
<quoted text>
Of course you're not a Christian. You're just a sexually-frustrated closet case who attacks atheists for whatever murky sexual issues you have.
<quoted text>
Assroaches? Another gay innuendo? Again, I have nothing against happy, out-of-the-closet gays. It's just the latent-homosexual jerks who project their inner turmoil on others that fill me with contempt.
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm..........
Read and say aloud what you have posted here and then ask KK if you can borrow a skirt.
Then ask ChristineM if you can borrow a buck (not of the monetary kind)
Downlow you go.......
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

More repressed believer speak from the Syrian...
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm..........
Read and say aloud what you have posted here and then ask KK if you can borrow a skirt.
Then ask ChristineM if you can borrow a buck (not of the monetary kind)
Downlow you go.......
Siro

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Explains to us all with your mighty intelligence where it says atheists steal stuff? or are supposed to..?
Try Das Kapital - your sacred manual

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Try Das Kapital - your sacred manual
you secret manual is mein kampf

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••