crazy christian concepts

Posted in the Atheism Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#1 Jul 27, 2012
obviously, the first crazy one is the concept of original sin, being passed down from generation to generation, because God got angry at adam and eve.

the next crazy one is the notion that anyone needs to be saved from going to hell, because of having been born bad - or because of any socalled sin or crime bad enough to deserve eternal pain and suffering in fire

of course the related one to that is the notion of such a hell.

the next one is the notion that the way to be saved from hell is by a blood sacrifice, of any kind
and related to that is the notion that it was ok for god or the holy spirit to rape Mary, in order to provide a sacrificial being, and related to that is the notion that it was ok for god to plan to have a person (or any living being) tortured and sacrificed with a horrible death

the next one is the notion of a feast on the metaphorical body and blood of the sacrificed victim (this comes from savage times, I think)

the next one is that believiing all this evil nonsense is both necessary and sufficient to get onesself saved from hell.

skipping ahead a bit, the big one for the future is the notion of final days, end times, and all the stuff that is supposed to happen to different persons. sounds all planned out to me. where is the free will, by the way? the war, the plagues, the various torments for those who do not agree with the true believers and their version of the christian religion. in some cases, the rapture for those who do agree.

a newer addition to this is the willingness of some believers to add their own personal responsibility to bring about the end times sooner, by electing a President most likely to get us into a big war. the neo-con advisers, the warmongers, the big arms manufacturers, the socalled "friends of Israel" who really want a war in that region to get God further along in his plan to save his favored few.

“God=Registered Sex Offender!”

Since: Jul 12

Wylie, TX

#2 Jul 27, 2012
The only reason these Christian concepts seem "crazy" to you is because you are unsaved and therefore lack the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit, you are no better than an exploding Muslim or a Mitt-Romney-Mormon with all of his sister wives and all of his pairs of occult Mormon underwear.

The flesh, the world and the Devil hisself reside in you: you cannot appreciate the things of the Spirit such as the FACT that Yahweh impregnated a teenager so that premarital sex can be forgiven or that Yahweh detests adultery yet He impregnated another man's wife.

1 Corinthians 1:27..."But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty"

In Jesus' Love,

America's Best Christian :)
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#3 Jul 27, 2012
AmericasBestChristian wrote:
The only reason these Christian concepts seem "crazy" to you is because you are unsaved and therefore lack the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit, you are no better than an exploding Muslim or a Mitt-Romney-Mormon with all of his sister wives and all of his pairs of occult Mormon underwear.
The flesh, the world and the Devil hisself reside in you: you cannot appreciate the things of the Spirit such as the FACT that Yahweh impregnated a teenager so that premarital sex can be forgiven or that Yahweh detests adultery yet He impregnated another man's wife.
1 Corinthians 1:27..."But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty"
In Jesus' Love,
America's Best Christian :)
I am so grateful for your visit and your contribution to my humble new thread. I will take your remarks as an endorsement of the worthiness of the discussion topic, and be immensely flattered that you came by. You are one of my favorite personalities on topix. you have the gift of expressing yourself so - not sure of the exact word - relentlessly?

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#4 Jul 27, 2012
The basic premise of Christianity: A supreme being turns itself human just to sacrifice itself to itself to save its own creations from the wrath of itself.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#5 Jul 27, 2012
Magic Underwear

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#6 Jul 27, 2012
Telling a pedophile you S.I.N.s gets you to heaven.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#7 Jul 28, 2012
Nontheist wrote:
The basic premise of Christianity: A supreme being turns itself human just to sacrifice itself to itself to save its own creations from the wrath of itself.
A dead zombie that you never met died for all the "bad" ever done. However "bad" still happens because we all have a dose of the "original bad" given to us by the father of the dead zombie who makes perfect beings.

Stop me if I sound crazy...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#8 Jul 28, 2012
Oh and the dead zombie its perfect father and some magic wispy smoky sh*t are all the same thing.

Oh and you must fear it or all three will make you feel "bad" forever after you die, punishing you for doing "bad" eternally.

And the guy that punishes the "bad", well he ain't a good guy (as logic would dictate), he was created by the perfect father and is his bro.

And then there were dinosaurs which the bad people rode on, but that was after the flood with the animals that didn't eat each other...

I"M NOT CRAZY..

Since: Dec 10

Orefield, PA

#9 Jul 28, 2012
The god thing made a perfect garden for his new creation to live in, but he himself placed a magic tree in the center that he claimed would kill them if they even touched it. Then he left his new, ignorant children alone with a smart, evil, talking snake (whom god allowed in the garden) who convinced them(Correctly) that the perfect god lied and persuaded them to eat the naughty fruit, which made they smart which is a sin, so they got kicked out and the all knowing god declared himself perfect.

Since: Dec 10

Orefield, PA

#10 Jul 28, 2012
The story of Jesus in the temple....

Jesus is born with much fanfare, visions, and vistits from worshipping kings. One would think that this would impress on his parents the importance of this kid. BUT later, during a trip abroad, his parent discover on their trip home that they left this messiah, their "holy" child behind, and it took an entire day for them to notice that the son of god was missing!!! Can you imagine a worse choice for parents?!?!?! How did dinner conversation go??? "Jesus, eat your peas....Jesus?...Jesus?... I guess he is in the bathroom again. Oh well, so Joseph, how was work today...".... Really?? They could make a movie about this.... "Left behind", or "home alone in Jeruselem".

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#11 Jul 28, 2012
“I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence.”~ Doug McLeod

“If you really believe in eternal bliss then why are you wearing a seat-belt”~ Doug Stanhope

“In the beginning there was nothing. God said,‘Let there be light!’ And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better.”~ Ellen DeGeneres

“We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.”~ Gene Roddenberry

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#12 Jul 28, 2012
“Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!..But He loves you.”~ George Carlin

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#13 Jul 28, 2012
"Heaven, as conventionally described, is a place so inane, so dull, so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have described a day at the seaside." ~ George Bernard Shaw

The total absence of humor from the Bible is one of the most singular things in all literature.~Alfred North Whitehead

“The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn’t mean that God doesn’t love heterosexuals. It’s just that they need more supervision.”~ Lynn Lavner

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#14 Jul 28, 2012
"The most preposterous notion that Homo sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history."
— Robert A. Heinlein
.

“God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks, please. Cash and in small bills.”~ Robert Heinlein, Notebooks of Lazarus Long
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#15 Jul 28, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
Oh and the dead zombie its perfect father and some magic wispy smoky sh*t are all the same thing.
Oh and you must fear it or all three will make you feel "bad" forever after you die, punishing you for doing "bad" eternally.
And the guy that punishes the "bad", well he ain't a good guy (as logic would dictate), he was created by the perfect father and is his bro.
And then there were dinosaurs which the bad people rode on, but that was after the flood with the animals that didn't eat each other...
I"M NOT CRAZY..
no, you are not crazy. I have been critical of what I see as your faults, but sometimes you are excellent on a particular comment or set of comments, or in opposition to someone who is ridiculous. Thanks for your interesting contributions and your clever way of phrasing them, on this thread. You also did lots of research and made a lot of effort to put up all the Hitler quotes, when someone alleged that he was an atheist. If you mean well, and have the capacity to write well, you really should overcome your tendency to overuse obscenities - it detracts from the respect one might otherwise have for you as a person - and your tendency to make false accusations from hasty reactions, or misunderstandings. I still wish you would reconsider and reply to my comments and questions elsewhere. We can argue on somethings, but should still be on the same side against the crazies.
Where I disagree with most atheists is that I like nice people with good values, and who favor the right policies and political leaders, who think they are christians - and otherwise do no harm that I can see. And i dislike it when atheists make overly strong statements. Yours above were very strong, without being too strong, in my view. See how well you do without using the f word!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#16 Jul 28, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
"The most preposterous notion that Homo sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history."
— Robert A. Heinlein
.
“God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks, please. Cash and in small bills.”~ Robert Heinlein, Notebooks of Lazarus Long
thank you for the splendid quotes. I am glad you came to comment here. come back anytime you find another nutty idea promoted by some socalled christian!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17 Jul 28, 2012
I want to add another of my own. particularly offensive to me, with my attitude that one should be careful to do as little harm as possible. it is the notion that God decides when and how each of us should die, and that we will die when it is "our time." Some Amish seem to have that view, around here, and some of them tend to be very careless on the road, not moving to the side when someone careless in a pickup (usually a guy in a pickup) passes them going up a hill, when someone might be coming over the hill and cause a collision. Obviously I also disapprove of those who do the illegal passing also. But I think they do it for reasons other than the belief that God determines when everyone dies, and how.

I also know some other persons who are christians who have the view that God decides when someone will die. One such person told me she thought that God visits everyone who is supposed to be on an airplane flight that is destined to crash, and tells them not to take the flight./ Seems to me he should have made the birds not run into the plane's engine, or that he should have told the mechanic what was wrong that needed to be fixed, or made the icing indicator show a big warning signal. It would have saved time and let people catch their flights.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#18 Jul 28, 2012
at least, that theory makes it clear that this version of God is the murderer of every living being.

that is the one virtue of the theory. it puts the blame where it belongs, though it is not the intention of the believer in that view.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#19 Jul 28, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
“I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence.”~ Doug McLeod
“If you really believe in eternal bliss then why are you wearing a seat-belt”~ Doug Stanhope
“In the beginning there was nothing. God said,‘Let there be light!’ And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better.”~ Ellen DeGeneres
“We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.”~ Gene Roddenberry
as to the last quote, one of my favorite versions of this comes from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

"Oh Thou, who man from basest clay did make,
and e'en with paradise devise the snake,
for all the sins wherewith the face of man is blackened, man's forgiveness give, and take."

close quote from memory, sorry about the racist implication - that is the Fitzgerald translation

there is a wonderful conversation among the pots in the potter's shed in that long poem, also. it is a delightful poem. all wine lovers should read it, also.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#20 Jul 28, 2012
Nontheist wrote:
The basic premise of Christianity: A supreme being turns itself human just to sacrifice itself to itself to save its own creations from the wrath of itself.
a wonderfully succinct way of putting it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min Eagle 12 231,749
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 27 min Who 789
10) Experts debate reality of God (May '10) 13 hr Morse 8,934
"No Master! No God!" - Isms, Religion and Atheism (Aug '13) 18 hr God worships Sin ... 2
Siro is writing a new book 20 hr Siro 2
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 21 hr Friend of all 14,431
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu Morse 1,418

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE