Posted in the Amish Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Maria

Llissá De Vall, Spain

#1 May 2, 2007
Hi!
I'm a student from Spain, Catalonia. I'm 17 and I'm coming to Canada on July 7th.
I'm doing a kind of research work about the amish bc last summer I visited Canada and I saw amish people with their "buggys". I was fascinated.

I would like to know if anybody knows where I could find a place where Amish live in Ontario, Canada....I know they don't like to be visited so I only want to know for try it.
It is very important for me...
THANK YOU
MARIA
(I'm sorry if I've commited mistakes in this comment, I'm not english):D
Matthew

Goderich, Canada

#2 May 22, 2007
hi maria i have amish friends near me in ontario, both of canadian and american origin
Adam

Columbus, OH

#3 Jun 5, 2007
I know you said in Canada, but if you really want to immerse yourself in Amish, Holmes County, Ohio has the most concentrated Amish population and is very tourist friendly.
Sabs

Canada

#4 Jul 2, 2007
You can find some in Massey, Ontario. just North of Sudbury, Ontario and up past Espanola, Ontario.
winman

Winnipeg, Canada

#5 Jul 27, 2007
You can find them every Saturday 7kms west of Massey on the side of the Trans Canada highway #1. You can buy homemade breads, salami and fresh veggies. They own many farms on the River Road between Massey and Walford.
France

Montréal, Canada

#6 Sep 3, 2007
Can people from outside your Amish culture join if they are Christians. If so is there a criteria for new recruits. Please let me know.
Maria

Barcelona, Spain

#7 Sep 16, 2007
Hii! thank you everybody, I've enjoyed a lot there....
Juana

Wallaceton, PA

#8 Sep 19, 2007
Hello,
I am from Sevilla, Spain too. Before you go looking for the Amish in Canada please take the time to read my comment and please be careful out there:
I was appalled and sickened, as I believe anyone with an ounce of compassion would have been, at the scene that greeted me in the night of Sunday of September 2007 at about 10:30pm.as I was driving the back way of Pine Creek Rd. I saw an Amish buggy stopped alongside the road, the horse clearly in distress. An Amish man was beating the horse’s hindquarters forcefully with a large object like a pipe or something like it. The horse was terrified still attached to the buggy, finding it very difficult to move. I am a new resident of Penns Valley, so I am adjusting to Country leaving. I have never witness anything like this in my life. I was terrified, shaking and I got sick in my tummy. In the middle of nowhere in the dark I seemed to have little choice but to drive away. As I looked in the rear-view mirror the round of blows continued. Perhaps I should have tried to do more; perhaps making this incident public is the best I can do. As I said before I am new to Country leaving and I was told that the Amish are peaceful people of God. I don’t see how God would look down on this scene with approval.
Canadian

Bolton, Canada

#9 Oct 3, 2007
Well I hear ya....I bet it was difficult for you to see poor and helpless horse being beatan by a cruel human....just like poor and innocent Iragis being killed by arrogant and cruel americans.
Juana wrote:
Hello,
I am from Sevilla, Spain too. Before you go looking for the Amish in Canada please take the time to read my comment and please be careful out there:
I was appalled and sickened, as I believe anyone with an ounce of compassion would have been, at the scene that greeted me in the night of Sunday of September 2007 at about 10:30pm.as I was driving the back way of Pine Creek Rd. I saw an Amish buggy stopped alongside the road, the horse clearly in distress. An Amish man was beating the horse’s hindquarters forcefully with a large object like a pipe or something like it. The horse was terrified still attached to the buggy, finding it very difficult to move. I am a new resident of Penns Valley, so I am adjusting to Country leaving. I have never witness anything like this in my life. I was terrified, shaking and I got sick in my tummy. In the middle of nowhere in the dark I seemed to have little choice but to drive away. As I looked in the rear-view mirror the round of blows continued. Perhaps I should have tried to do more; perhaps making this incident public is the best I can do. As I said before I am new to Country leaving and I was told that the Amish are peaceful people of God. I don’t see how God would look down on this scene with approval.
albertan

Richmond, Canada

#10 Oct 26, 2007
to canadian get a life. he was sickened to see what a cruel individual was doing to an animal. not a very inteligent person obviously. Any fool that damages the tools he needs for work is a moron. Now do you realy think that all these american troops want to go to iraq abuse and kill citizens? yes there are some idiots that want revenge for towers and are venting on the wrong people. Theseare the ones if they were huterites would be on the side of the road beating thier horse. so some of us canadians are sick of hearing other self rightous people spouting off about cruel and arrogant americans. so try and keep your comments on topic. if you want to discuss the war try a site devoted to that. also if it wasn't for those cursed yankies we would most likely have been part of the soviet block, Not by choice. and now I am off the subject.
sherman

Hershey, PA

#11 Nov 18, 2007
what you saw is a direct in opposition the the Amish belief. Anger and violence is forbidden. If someone was to try to rape or murder an Amish person, they can not make any effort to stop this other than run away. they can not strike back in any way and remain true to their religion.
Juana wrote:
I saw an Amish buggy stopped alongside the road, the horse clearly in distress. An Amish man was beating the horse’s hindquarters forcefully with a large object like a pipe or something like it. The horse was terrified still attached to the buggy, finding it very difficult to move.
simon

Douglas, Isle of Man

#12 Dec 5, 2007
I am eager to find a way of contacting my aunt who I believe joined the Amish comunity some years ago. We have had no contact with her since then..We do not know if she is dead or alive .she lived in Kitchener ontario canada my father is 85 years of age and would love to speak to her ....since they last spoke 2 sisters and a brother have passed away leaving only my father and my aunt can anyone advise me on the best course of action ?
Sally

Louisville, KY

#13 Dec 7, 2007
I know Sicily Yoder converted into the Amish- she is no longer Amish, but she is a spokesperson for the health of Amish- I seen where she was doing a national hospital education of nurses in caring for Amish. She also has a cooking show and is pretty famous in the area, so she may be able to help.
simon

Douglas, Isle of Man

#14 Dec 8, 2007
thanks for that will try to find email adress for Sicily Yoder see if she can steer me in the right direction
Sally wrote:
I know Sicily Yoder converted into the Amish- she is no longer Amish, but she is a spokesperson for the health of Amish- I seen where she was doing a national hospital education of nurses in caring for Amish. She also has a cooking show and is pretty famous in the area, so she may be able to help.
Donna

United States

#15 Dec 8, 2007
I found Sicily Yoder's email- it is beachgirlky@gmail.com but I don't know if she actually answers it, since she is a famous now- maybe her agent answers it, but its worth a try- her agent is Los Angeles Celebrity PR in LA.
simon

Douglas, Isle of Man

#17 Dec 9, 2007
thanks a lot have posted a message on a forum from her show will try the address you have found as well cheers
Donna wrote:
I found Sicily Yoder's email- it is beachgirlky@gmail.com but I don't know if she actually answers it, since she is a famous now- maybe her agent answers it, but its worth a try- her agent is Los Angeles Celebrity PR in LA.
simon

Douglas, Isle of Man

#18 Dec 9, 2007
Sorry this address does not seem to exist me email was returned as undeliverable
Melanie

Montréal, Canada

#20 Dec 30, 2007
Hi,
I need your help. I would like to go to an Amish area but not as a tourist... I really want to experiment their life style. My idea is to go there two or three weeks, live with theme and exactly like them. I want to participate to every task has a family member. I'm from Montréal and I would like to go to ontario. If you have any informations that would help me. Thank you!
(sorry, I'm not billingual...)
Quebecer

Rivière-du-loup, Canada

#21 Apr 11, 2008
To Albertan, Canadian, and others:

All wars are not by the people, but for special interest. Those that join the army are brain washed that they are doing good and protecting their country. Don't believe the news channels, do your own research on the internet for the truth. Life is not better for Iraqis & Afghanistanis. Actually Opium production has trippled. Should the Americans intervene into the Amish community too?

Mr. Albertan, all Canadian was doing is voicing his disgust at a past memory of beating of 'humans' like the 'animals'. Both are inhumane.
vera

Totnes, UK

#22 Sep 12, 2008
inaugust 2008 i went to see the amish people in ontario and was really impressed with what i saw .they are hard working people. i was particulary impressed by the beautiful quilts the women made,all by hand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amish Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone like the Amish girl armpit hair? (Mar '08) Mar '18 Boys 7
transgender children in the amish community (Feb '10) Mar '18 liarcatcher 6
News From Amish to Ozarks, not the same old stories (Jun '08) Mar '18 Hamid 64
Single Amish Women (Jun '11) Feb '18 Bob Hori Hornick 70
News Former Ontario farmers creating Amish paradise ... (Oct '16) Jan '18 Love Teaching 3
News Amish Communities Deal With Meth Problem | Ohio... (Aug '11) Nov '17 Deborah 7
News The school bus doesn't stop here any more... (Mar '07) Oct '17 What 2