PUC cracking down on 'Amish taxi' dri...

PUC cracking down on 'Amish taxi' drivers

There are 29 comments on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story from Dec 30, 2007, titled PUC cracking down on 'Amish taxi' drivers. In it, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that:

“But if I need work done around here, [Amish friends] do it. "I get gifts. My kids get gifts. It's bartering”

Bonnie Huzinec was stacking bags of groceries in her van when a cluster of bonnet-clad women approached and discreetly asked whether she was busy. via Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Trump is so right!”

Since: Jan 07

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Jan 2, 2008
Over in Ohio, we call them "Yoder toters" Nice service for the Amish folks. Can't see why the government needs to get involved with this. They don't mind it when you a take van full of voters to the polls. Can't be that different!
BronzeDragon

New Cumberland, PA

#2 Jan 3, 2008
Old Cynic wrote:
Over in Ohio, we call them "Yoder toters" Nice service for the Amish folks. Can't see why the government needs to get involved with this. They don't mind it when you a take van full of voters to the polls. Can't be that different!
Because when you accept compensation for transporting someone, your insurance is null and void. Read the fine print in your insurance contract. There is also the fact that licensed commercial carriers are required by law to maintain their vehicles properly, not the "duct tape and prayer" vehicles that I see so often in Ohio. They are also required to screen thier drivers for drugs and alcohol.

“Trump is so right!”

Since: Jan 07

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Jan 3, 2008
So let's see - All those government encouraged car-pools, where all he folks kick in for gas, means that everyone who car pools has no insurance? Hmmm, All those college kids who ride home and back to school and pay the driver for the wear and tear on his car are uninsured?

You also need to know that the Amish do not believe in insurance anyhow. As to duct tape and prayer vehicles, why does Ohio have a better safety record for miles driven than Pennsylvania? And they do it without government inspection programs.

As to alcohol and drugs, why does SEPTA and PAT need special rehab programs for the union members if none of then ever drive "under".
uglytoad

Kittanning, PA

#4 Jan 12, 2008
The matter of the puc cracking down on amish taxi drivers is about safety,for you, for the public and for me, Many of those drivers drink and do drugs while on duty, most likely their vehicles are in deplorable condition and they do not have proper insurance. Would anyone in their right mind want to share the highways with them?
uglytoadk

Chardon, OH

#5 Feb 5, 2008
If you were returning home from a shopping spree with freinds and family, none in seat belts, in a mini van, package piled agaist the rear window and jamed every where possible, what is the chance of being stopped by a police officer in Pennsylvania?
Driving Ms Huzinec

Bothell, WA

#6 Mar 19, 2008
My bonnet is off to Ms. Huzinec and I wish her all the strength and spite to ward off the treacheries of these carpet baggers.
I am in fumes over a battle to maintain a long standing tradition in our little town in the state of Washington. Where our City Hall wants permits for this and permits for that, in short order to thicken the linings of their pockets.
I have had it with these politicians and what Ms. Huzinec is doing is called hospitality and taking care of her neighbors. PUC is merely trying to cash in on her neighborly generosity.
THE PEOPLE of this nation need to realize that this increasingly becoming a noose grip around the life of this country and if we don't stand up and stop it all could be lost. What we need is another revolution and a Boston Tea Party. Except lets throw the politicians in the water instead of the goods.
feesrunamok

Kirkland, WA

#7 Mar 21, 2008
Good luck to Ms Huzinec. Give 'em hell.
As with "Driving Ms Huzinec", I'm from Washington and have first hand knowledge of the "fees gone wild". In our small town of Lake Stevens, we have had a 12' plastic chicken in the community for over 30 years, that nested on the roof of a local drive-thru. Every year the seniors at the high school would "steal" that chicken before graduation. Now the owners of the drive-thru have been given notice by the city council, that the "chicken" is against city code. But....if she will pay $650 for a permit, they will allow her to keep the chicken where it's at. For another $500, they will allow it to be "stolen" by the seniors.
Where and when do we meet for the "tea party"? We have six council members to throw overbaord!
harry

Bellwood, PA

#8 Mar 21, 2008
this country sucks.Its corrupt.Its all about money.They worry about these so call taxi drivers? Why dont they go after the illeagles?This country has become the axes of evil.The average us citizenes are greedy.They are sumbags.Yours truly Harry.
Bob

Fairfax, VA

#9 Mar 21, 2008
"But....if she will pay $650 for a permit, they will allow her to keep the chicken where it's at. For another $500, they will allow it to be "stolen" by the seniors."

Too bad that's bull, huh? The fact is, the chicken is a sign,(A huge one, at that) that's part of 3 signs advertising the business.

To correct your erroneous and misleading post: The bird is 7 feet tall, the original, bigger chicken was removed long ago and is in the possession of the original owner.

http://www.theamericanroadside.com/content/vi...

So, the local municipality attempts to enforce it's reasonable ability to prevent people from constructing whatever outrageous monstrosity they feel like to advertise their business, and you cry fowl?(pun intended)

The town is trying to work with her, but EVERYONE needs to follow the same rules. This ain't the wild west.

By your logic, if a guy opens a liquor store and erects a 200 foot replica of a bottle of Jim Beam, you'd be perfectly ok with that?
What about Bob_bie

Bothell, WA

#10 Mar 25, 2008
Bob wrote:
"But....if she will pay $650 for a permit, they will allow her to keep the chicken where it's at. For another $500, they will allow it to be "stolen" by the seniors."
Too bad that's bull, huh? The fact is, the chicken is a sign,(A huge one, at that) that's part of 3 signs advertising the business.
To correct your erroneous and misleading post: The bird is 7 feet tall, the original, bigger chicken was removed long ago and is in the possession of the original owner.
So, the local municipality attempts to enforce it's reasonable ability to prevent people from constructing whatever outrageous monstrosity they feel like to advertise their business, and you cry fowl?(pun intended)
The town is trying to work with her, but EVERYONE needs to follow the same rules. This ain't the wild west.
By your logic, if a guy opens a liquor store and erects a 200 foot replica of a bottle of Jim Beam, you'd be perfectly ok with that?
What about Bob(bie), in VA? For some reason this guy or gal who lives in Virginia is rather "cocky" in his or her opinions from such a distance. Bob(bie) seems to know a lot about the lake steven's chicken. Hum? Never mind it has been a tradition for over 25 years with the senior class.
Plus quoting the American Roadside's web site is in contradiction to your post due to the fact that they are about the business of preserving signage not tearing signs or people and their business' down.
feesrunamok

Kirkland, WA

#11 Mar 26, 2008
Bob wrote:
I don't normally get into a back and forth dialog on these kinds of posts, but....your "cocky" attitude warrants one.

First; you're correct about the size of the "new" chicken.
Second; I know where the "original", "bigger chicken" is, I live here.
Third; this is about tradition... and politicians with their hands in everyone's pockets. It's their way of "getting their way", when their agendas are rejected by a portion of the community.
Fourth; The "three" signs you refer to are, the drive-in 'name' on the top of the building, a 'menu' by the window (menus ARE needed for a drive-in) and a sign for posting any 'specials' running for the day.
Fifth; the "chicken" has 'ceased' to become a sign over the last thirty years and is more an icon to the community.

As to your accusation of "erroneous" statements; if your 'knowledge' of this issue is only what was written on the 'road sign' website, then I have to point out, that YOU sir, DON'T HAVE ALL THE FACTS, and are blathering about something you know nothing about. Thus, your charge of "erroneous statements" by me, is erroneous in itself!

That being said, your analogy of a 200ft Jim Beam bottle in front of a liquor store is moronic and is a typical post from someone who is unable to carry on an intelligent discussion.
Wondering

Glasgow, KY

#12 Apr 17, 2008
I have a large house in an Amish community. I am thinking about renting it out to "Amish haulers" since the Old Order Amish don't seem to want the English staying in their homes. We have seen these people sleeping in their vans with no local motels for miles. How do I get the word out that our house is available to the English only. I prefer to have as little to do with the Amish as possible but it would be a nice service to the drivers and we could rent on a nightly basis much lower than a motel. The house is empty but we could set it up with several beds so that several drivers could stay. I know this is off the subject but would like any suggestions.
obsessed

Bellefontaine, OH

#13 Aug 29, 2012
Anyone who knows Dan L Byler in the last 2 years who had work done and his English driver in a black doge truck please write me the crew is from new wilminginton pa
george

Bellwood, PA

#14 Aug 29, 2012
uglytoad wrote:
The matter of the puc cracking down on amish taxi drivers is about safety,for you, for the public and for me, Many of those drivers drink and do drugs while on duty, most likely their vehicles are in deplorable condition and they do not have proper insurance. Would anyone in their right mind want to share the highways with them?
Oh how do you know?
Don't make such stupid remarks.
Junior man

Altoona, PA

#15 Aug 29, 2012
harry wrote:
this country sucks.Its corrupt.Its all about money.They worry about these so call taxi drivers? Why dont they go after the illeagles?This country has become the axes of evil.The average us citizenes are greedy.They are sumbags.Yours truly Harry.
You sir, are an idiot. Of course we are greedy, we are trying to succeed. Your penmanship leads me to believe you are either a child or cannot type. Leave MY country if you don't like it so much.
Layman

Clearfield, PA

#16 Aug 29, 2012
Junior man wrote:
<quoted text>
You sir, are an idiot. Of course we are greedy, we are trying to succeed. Your penmanship leads me to believe you are either a child or cannot type. Leave MY country if you don't like it so much.
sounds like you think ,you own it.
Amish Priest

Chicago, IL

#17 Sep 8, 2012
They expect free rides but no responsiblilities
Malcolm McClain

Clearfield, PA

#18 Sep 8, 2012
Amish Priest wrote:
They expect free rides but no responsiblilities
How so?
mr e 2u

Lakeview, OH

#19 Sep 4, 2014
Old Cynic wrote:
So let's see - All those government encouraged car-pools, where all he folks kick in for gas, means that everyone who car pools has no insurance? Hmmm, All those college kids who ride home and back to school and pay the driver for the wear and tear on his car are uninsured?
You also need to know that the Amish do not believe in insurance anyhow. As to duct tape and prayer vehicles, why does Ohio have a better safety record for miles driven than Pennsylvania? And they do it without government inspection programs.
As to alcohol and drugs, why does SEPTA and PAT need special rehab programs for the union members if none of then ever drive "under".
Old cynic could you tell me what a amish taxi driver charges for miles and hourers if he has to wait at a stop I might mention this to my son for extra money thank you
Rog W

Clearfield, PA

#20 Sep 4, 2014
uglytoad wrote:
Oh BS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amish Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone like the Amish girl armpit hair? (Mar '08) Oct 8 Brian316 6
Single Amish Women (Jun '11) Sep '17 David3231985 69
News Amish Mafia returns to airwaves (Mar '13) Sep '17 Nick 5
News Community raises questions about Amish homesa e... Aug '17 windy 1
News From Amish to Ozarks, not the same old stories (Jun '08) Aug '17 Dovos 60
Do you like your culture? Aug '17 FlintHarp1 2
Does the Amish people have special script or vo... Aug '17 FlintHarp1 2
More from around the web